? about vitamins

clewis0224
on 1/6/09 10:55 pm - brockway, PA
I am so excited had my last dr appt monday but now i wate for the ins approval. But my ? is do anyone try chewable Centruim multi vitamin
Tracey A.
on 1/6/09 11:13 pm - Dubois, PA
Yes I tried the Centrum chewable and I thought they were terrible. I stick with the Flintstones Complete. The Centrum tasted bad and made me burp, and the burps were terrible. Coule just be me though....lol Good luck with your journey!!!
bubble273
on 1/6/09 11:26 pm - Levittown, PA
Hello,

I do use the Centrum Multi vitamin chewables, the orange flavor.  I HATED them when I was first out from surgery and was lax with taking them because of that reason.  I think the Flintstone vitamins were even worse.  But everybody is different and you actually just have to try them to see what works best for you.  But I do now use the Centrum.  Once further out you can try to take the pill that's not chewable.

Good luck.

Karen

Liz R.
on 1/6/09 11:56 pm - Easton, PA
I was taking the centrum for a while and the Dr actualy reccomended that I switch to flintstones. The centrum I believe has more iron in it and can be really constipating. I am currently looking for one that I can just swallow - I am getting tired of chewing pills - they are actually making me nauseous lately.

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/09 8:31 pm - Poconos, PA
Hi Liz,

Is Dr. Brader the one that reccomended the switch to Flinstones? It's my understanding that since the usual dose of Flinstones for an adult is 2 chewables that we RNY'ers will need to take 4 chewables a day instead to get the same benefit because of our malabsorption. Is this the amount that he has you taking? If not, did he explain why you don't need the extra? I'm curious because I would much rather take the Flinstones(taste, cost, availability) but I don't want to take any chances with not getting the proper amounts especially with the anemia.
Liz R.
on 1/7/09 8:33 pm - Easton, PA
Val - I take 2 flintstones a day and my vitamin levels have been perfect (except for B12 and B1, but I take another supplement for that) since my surgery - now I go 2/5 to see him for my 2 year follow up and I'll let you know how my blood work was then.

I even buy the generic at Wal-Mart.

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/09 9:36 pm - Poconos, PA
This is where I get very confused.....Now please don't think I'm questioning Dr Brader because I'm not. I just really want to understand it so that I'm not walking around completely clueless...That and well, honestly I always have something spinning around in this little head of mine.

Anyways, this is the sort of crazy crap that goes thru my head- If we malabsorb everything else and need to supplement for it then why would we not need to supplement our supplements if the same rules should apply that the supplements are also not absorbed properly? If we need to take in higher amounts of allllll these other things so we can sustain "normal" levels then why wouldn't we need to take the additional Flinstones if we're not actually absorbing the same amount that a non pouch person would by taking 2 per day? Know what I mean? Isn't it contradicting what we've been taught? And if in fact, the 2 a day are being absorbed just fine then what exactly about it's make up is different that there's not any issues with absorption? There has to be something different about it and if they can figure out what it is, then can you imagine what that could mean for us in the future? ..........Just sayin

Ok...when you're done slapping your forehead and shaking your head, I'll be sitting here patiently awaiting your reply..LOL
Liz R.
on 1/7/09 9:47 pm - Easton, PA
OK I follow you completely! I think that the issue with vitamins, and maybe Pam will jump in and clarify with her dazzling medical information! But I think that vitamins are absorbed in the "end" of the intestines and in the colon, the area that wasn't touched in us, Food on the other hand is absorbed earlier in the insestines - the area that was bypassed.

I could be totally off base with this but maybe I got lucky and I'm right! lol I'll ask Dr Brader when i am out there next month though to be sure!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 12:13 am - Poconos, PA
Well I know you're right in a sense - certain vitamins are absorbed at different points within the intestinal tract and maybe whether or not they're being carried in our food plays a part, I dunno but check this out..I found this along my research journey. Not sure how accurate it is since there was no research article attached to it or anything but if it is accurate then I'm completely confused now! It's hard to read I know and I'm sorry.

Anyways, I think we both have some valid points and I really would like to hear Dr. Braders thoughts on all of this. I have an appt with him on the 2nd for my scope. If I can remember to ask him, I will. Now if anything happens and he gets tired of playing my 20 questions game and ends up giving me ALOT of extra sedation, ALOT sooner than expected just to shut me up, I'm going to be depending on you to come through for us!

2471444310_01004f6c1a_o.jpg picture by VTitan
Liz R.
on 1/8/09 12:17 am - Easton, PA
He's going to think it is a conspiracy! lol you'll be there on the 2nd quizzing him and I'll be there the 5th asking the same questions! lol :)

Don't worry he'll only over sedate you if it is for your own good!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views