So frustrated with myself - Completely blew my pre-op diet today

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 2:33 am - Eastern, PA
Food for thought (a poor choice of words for certain, but relevant)...

You overindulge on solids a few days after your surgery, and you could literally tear your stomach open and bleed to death. The surgery doesn't stop you from eating. You do. Better be ready for that.

Call the doctor and see what he says. Keep us in the loop. We're all rooting for you.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 2:58 am - PA
Yeah, you are right.  I know I can do this. I'll keep you all posted on what my doctor's office reports.
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 3:03 am
My doctor did not require me to be on a liquid diet before surgery....other than 24 hours before.  I honestly do not think I would have made it through without cheating somehow if he had.  No one is perfect....we have all had and will continue to struggle with something or other.  I am a firm believer in sharing my struggles with everyone.  One, it helps me and two, it helps others that may be afraid of sharing see that asking for help is important. 

This board is a great place to get the support, and necessary kicks in the ass, we all need.  I can't share any advice that hasn't already been given.  Congrats on your upcoming surgery and on the 16 pounds you worked so hard to lose already!  There will be bumps in the road along this journey...we all have them...the best you can do is recognize your struggles, allow everyone to help you and pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue on with your successing. 

Heather G
DianeMarie
on 1/6/09 3:09 am - Delmont, PA
You havent failed.  You hit a bump in the road.  It's happened to all of us somewhere along our journey.  You can't beat yourself up over it.  Admit you did it and screwed up and then start over again.   Most of us have been eaters all our lives.  I was born a fat baby and stayed that way.  Its very hard to undo years of eating habits in a few weeks or months.  I figure I've been eating this way for 46 years and its going to take a LONG time to learn how to eat the correct way.  I've made myself throw up one too many times because I went past the level of my pouch.  I eat...feel satisifed but want more......and I take that one extra bite and WHAM I'm visiting the porcelian thrown god RALPH.  I'll get it one day.....but until then.....I'll be visiting RALPH on occasion......snort.

Good luck getting back on track.....sounds like you are already there.

Diane
Smileycons!
Please feel free to talk to us on the board for support or contact us privately.
We've all been there!

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Pam Hart
on 1/6/09 3:23 am - Easton, PA
I tend to agree with everyone else - as hard as it might be to bring yourself to do - your surgeon should probably know about this.  It's understood that part of the reason we had problems with weight management prior to surgery is this - feeling like we've "blown it' and began cheating with stress and what not.

Have I cheated after surgery?  Absolutely.  Have I paid the price dearly?  Absolutely.  And it sucks, big time.

You know what you need to do - and perhaps writing it all out was the first step for you.

Now, off the pitty pot and on to a protein shake and some jello.  Three days and counting.  After that the physical hunger will be basically nonexistent.  The head hunger - well that will be there and will probably be a demon from hell.  And you'll need to work through that....we all try to work through it...and sometimes coming here and hearing harsh words is a great way to get through it.  They hurt at times, but in the long run, can be better than just hearing "oh, it's ok, you'll do fine"

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
rivardstarr
on 1/6/09 5:51 am - phoenixville, PA
Roger,
Its a real shame that when the surgeon operates on our digestive track that they can't do a twofor and operate on our brains too! Eating for most of us is such a head game, and will continue to be so after surgery. If you haven't done so yet, I strongly encourage you to pick up a few books regarding wt. loss surgery and dealing with the emotional aspects of eating. You will be giving up your biggest security blanket/best friend/greatest emotional drug for dealing with stress. Most of us go through a literal period of mourning for this loss, whi*****ludes not just sorrow  or depression, but often alot of anger too. What other options have you figured out to use to cope with stress? This is going to be your biggest learning curve. It is a long and difficult journey, but one we are all on, and despite many bumps in the road, and we have all tripped and fallen on our faces, most of us are succeding. I wish you the best.
Chris
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 6:27 am, edited 1/6/09 6:28 am - PA
Thank you everyone for your "emergency-like-response" to my post.  It helped a lot -- it scared the heck out of me, but it helped. I think Pam nailed down why I posted this item -- I do write down what I am thinking to work through "issues" and usually that is my first step in working problems out.  However, I've never had a support group ( like this one) to help me figure these weight issues out.

I am trying to make the right decisions for my health, even if that means communicating bad news/information to the doctors and support group.  I think I unconsciously knew I needed to call the doctor, but the first step was writing here and getting feedback from others.  I did call my doctor's office right after the first two replies and made sure I communicated exactly what I had eaten -- two pieces of wheat bread and about 8 ozs of pork.  

Also, it is painfully obvious to me why I "snapped."  The mental trigger that led to the loss of control was a very stressful communication with a person that I serve on a board of directors with.  I would have been relatively fine, and not resorted to the eating behavior, if this person had not continued to bring up the same contentious issue for the last three months of communications.  So, I learned I need to watch out for these snapping points (that trigger for stress-eating) and more importantly, look into other ways of alleviating that stress or eliminating it all together (by not continuing to participate on this board).  So thank you for indulging me -- and helping me to think about this situation.  

After three calls to my doctor's office over two hours, my great physician assistant (Amanda Walker) at Einstein, was able to pull away from other patients and call me back.  She made light of the situation and said that this slip-up was not problematic for my surgery.  Given that I've been consistently following the diet plan I was instructed to abide by and that I had dropped those 16 pounds, they were happy with my progress.  She also asked about my mental state -- the stresser -- to make sure nothing serious was happening in my life.  So, kudos to her for being so attentive. 

So, I hope I've learned something here.  Thanks very much.  I hope I can return the favor in the future.   Roger
bubble273
on 1/6/09 10:28 am - Levittown, PA
Great news, Roger!!!  I'm sorry you needed a swift kick in the ass, but it just shows you how supportive everyone can be and we're just looking out for your best interests.

I had to be on a 10 liquid diet and it stunk big time, especially since I had to attend a wedding and a 30th birthday party.  But there I went with my protein shake and even brought along some jello and cool whip so I could have dessert.  And I did fine.  I did have one slip up.  There were some cookies in the house from Sam's Club, those yummy soft cookies.  Well, I saw them there and couldn't resist and jammed that cookie right down my throat.  Did I feel guilty afterwards and completely scared to death that I messed up my chance at having surgery??  TOTALLY, FOR SURE, YES!!!  But it was one cookie and I knew everything would be fine.  And so will you.  And now almost 15 months after surgery, I couldn't care less if I have a cookie with sugar in it.  I like the sugar free stuff just as much.  Your desires will lessen and so will your cravings.  Sometimes it's a chore to eat.  And there are times when I don't make such good choices, like my addiction to Utz pretzel rods, but you get right back on your horse and you have the tool to do it.  That's the great thing about the surgery is that you can hop right back on your bike and start riding again.

Good luck with everything.

Karen

HopefulFuture
on 1/9/09 5:14 am - Boston, MA
I'm a few days late reading your post Roger, but I was thrilled to read your last response.  By now you are probably out of surgery and are hopefully on the road to recovery.  The others gave you some really excellent advice and you seem to have done a lot of reflective thinking too.  Once you come home, this isn't going to be easy.  Every single day is work.  Hard work.  But I know you can do this!  We're all pulling for you!!  Let us know when you are home and are able to post.  Welcome to the other side and I'll be looking forward to following your journey with you!!!

Lisa :)  

JillZ
on 1/7/09 10:39 am - Warrington, PA
That's great news, I only had to do the liquid diet for about 24 hours and it was tough.  I can't imagine doing it for that long.  Good for you for calling your Dr. you must be relieved, I would have also been very scared they would have postponed, I'm so glad they didn't!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views