So frustrated with myself - Completely blew my pre-op diet today

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 1:08 am - PA

Ughh.  I completely blew my pre-op diet today.  I have lac. RNY surgery on friday and I am supposed to only drink protein shakes, clear liquids, and low-calorie greens.  Like other members here -- I am a complete stress eater -- and all those bad habits came back to haunt me during lunch today.  I've worked my ass off on this two week pre-op diet -- in the last 11 days I've lost 16 pounds.  I know this isn't a good thing to have this food relapse, but I've decided to take laxatives now so that I can get all of this food out of me so that I don't undue my hard work over the last week and a half.  I can't wait to have the surgery done -- I just want to stop eating.
prettydee7
on 1/6/09 1:39 am - Pittsburgh, PA
BREATH!  You will be fine.  One day won't undo the previous 10 or 12 days that you have already committed.  Just pick up where you left off and you will be fine.  I wouldn't take any laxatives though just allow your body to exspell naturally.  Just up your liquids and your body will get rid of it.  If you having surgery in the next couple of days, you dont want any meds in your system.  I was only allowed to take my prescribed meds while on my pre surgery liquid diet. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 1:40 am

You are human along with the rest of us so do not beat yourself up so hard. I would not suggest taking laxatives to get rid of teh food but call your surgeon explain wht happen you have 3 days before surgery to clean out your system just do not fall off the track again stick to the rules they gave and before you know it will be Friday.

MsDeniseinPA
on 1/6/09 1:44 am - PA
I agree with the others, just relax and get back on the liquids for the rest of the week.
LisaAC
on 1/6/09 1:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
We life-long dieters are such an All or Nothing Tribe! 

You are on the very early steps of a journey toward wellness, fitness, and good health.  This won't be the last mis-step, but it doesn't mean you blew it.  You need to pick yourself up and continue on, the best you can, at each step of the way.  We've all been there and are still working on it; you are not alone.  Be gentle with yourself.

Lisa
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Mary Benford
on 1/6/09 1:47 am - Emmaus, PA

Hey there,

First of all, with your surgery being so close, you really should check with your doctor before you go laxative crazy.  You're not supposed to have ANY kind of medication, other than what they allow, to be in your system.   Laxatives aren't a way to "correct" what you've done as far as the eating is concerned...  it's not a healthy way to take care of this slip in your pre-op liquid diet.
        Secondly, I'm by no means a tattle-tale, but holy moly man, call your surgeon's office and let them know that you have eaten food.  The last thing you want to happen is for you to be on the operating table, and something to happen because you ate things you weren't supposed to.  I know you want this surgery, but depending on what you ate, and what the surgeon wanted to accomplish (which wasn't just not eating food and losing weight I'm sure)  I bet he wanted you to shrink your liver, and maybe bring some of your blood levels up or down to ensure your own safety while you're under for surgery.

They may push your surgery back a week, and they may not, I'm not sure, but really you're only going to be hurting yourself if you're not 100% completely honest not only with yourself, but also your surgeon.  When it comes to your health, don't be selfish because you want this surgery so badly, but make sure you're doing everything in your power to make the best of it.

There's no such thing as cheating post op.  You're going to eat what you eat.  this isn't some whimsical diet...   it's going to take hard work and determination.   You better make sure you're ready for that going into this....

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 1:55 am - PA
 Thanks for the thoughts.  I certainly don't see surgery as a quick fix.  I've considered it for over four years and through four medically supervised diets.  I am absolutely serious about making the right choices about food and my lifestyle and that's why I am having RNY surgery.  Your post seemed a bit of a judging lecture to me -- but -- I put my comments out there and I asked for it.
Mary Benford
on 1/6/09 2:12 am - Emmaus, PA
I'm sorry you feel that my post was a judgemental lecture, but I can assure you, it was not.  More like a sincere concern for something that may be a serious risk to your health.  I didn't say surgery was a quick fix, but I'm hoping you do realize that like I did say, there isn't any cheating after surgery.  I'm in no position at all to judge, or lecture...  but what was the purpose of your post??   To let us all know that yeah you did make a mistake on the pre-op liquid diet, and you realize it, and you need advice?  Or to get some hand holding and hear "it will be ok..."  I refuse to do that when it comes to things that can potentially be a risk to your life.  I know the pre-op liquid diet is hard...   and you know it's hard...   and you did make a mistake, and was just putting in my two sense on what needed to be done next.

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 2:39 am - PA
Points taking.  The purpose of the post was two-fold.  One, I needed a kick in the pants...which you aptly provided.  Thank you. Two, I wrote to see if others had failed like me and to see how they addressed the problem.  This is a big change -- which you have been through and continue to work through -- and I am trying to make this a successful change for myself too.  I am pursuing surgery for health reasons - to avoid the path that my father traversed and which ultimately killed him at 62.  I don't want that for my family or myself.  Unfortunately, weight loss has been one of my biggest failures in life and I don't want to repeat my old mistakes anymore.  Boy, I thought earning my Ph.D. was difficult -- this clearly will remain to be a lifelong struggle. Thanks again for your post -- I do appreciate it. best, roger
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 1:49 am - PA
 Thanks for the quick comments and thoughts.  They are very helpful.  I'm putting in a call to my doctor to check in and I'll get to drinking those fluids. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views