PA State Employee Cap Blue Cross Coverage?

Melissa F.
on 1/2/09 3:36 am - Mountville, PA
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the boards and just had a quick question.  I live in the general Lancaster area and I'm considering looking into WLS.  I work for a state university with Cap Blue Cross PPO coverage - I can't find anything on the healthcare website to say one way or another if I even have a shot for coverage.  Does anyone out there work for a state university and have you had success with coverage???

Thanks for any info!  congrats to all of you that are already on your journey and good luck to those of you considering it!
High Wt/Consult Wt/Surgery Wt/Current Wt
347                341               328                170 
1st Goal Wt: 225 (met 9/13/10) / 2nd Goal Wt: 200 (met 12/13/10) / 3rd Goal Wt: 190 (met 1/30/2011) / 4th Goal Wt: 180 (met 4/25/11) / After baby: 170 and holding for 8 months!

Total Weight Lost: 177!
http://wlstrusttheprocess.blogspot.com/
Trust the process....
Melissa

R K.
on 1/2/09 8:30 am
I know somebody that had it and they said if you go to a "Center of Excellence" the prerequisites are streamlined. That was just word of mouth.
http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate.aspx?state=US-PA#srchRe sults
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
retta0426
on 1/4/09 11:52 am - Middletown, PA
You can call customer service and they will tell you if it's a covered procedure. All you need is your ID from your card and your personal information so they can verify who you are.
I have Blue Cross, I work for the Commonwealth, and all I do is call them when I am concerned if something is covered or not.
Lisa H.
on 1/4/09 9:03 pm - Whitehall, PA
Welcome to the Pa boards.  I work for Aetna and the best advice that I can give you is to call your insurance company.  Every Blue Cross plan is different based on what your employer elected.  Even under your employer there could be more than one plan available.   Call the number on the back of your ID card and let them know what you are thinking of doing.  There may be comorbities needed or there may not be.  There may be a specific exclusion for the surgery.   The only way to know for sure is to call them.  Good luck!!

My tracker

hers 

Melissa F.
on 1/4/09 10:22 pm - Mountville, PA
Thanks so much everyone - I'll try and get the call made today.  I'm going to an information session next week about the options available for surgery or non-surgical options and hopefully will learn more there. =)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views