I have a date...questions about PAT

browngirl76
on 1/1/09 10:02 pm - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Everyone,

I am excited to announce my surgery date for my RNY.  It is scheduled for Feb. 18.  I am having my Pre Admission testing done on Jan 29.  I am very excited and also pretty nervous!

I had a question about what I should expect during the PAT.  I know I am not allowed to eat or drink after midnight.  Will I have to drink Barium or anything like that?  I like to have things settled in my mind in case I need to psych myself up for anything. 

I appreciate all your help withmy previous questions and look forward to hearing from all of you. 

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season!
Laureen S.
on 1/1/09 10:37 pm, edited 1/1/09 10:37 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Congrats on your date!  What a great way to start the New Year. . .

At PATs. . .

A weight-in, bloodpressure check, bloodwork, X-Ray, Breathing Test to test your lung capacity and being shown how to use the spirometer that they will send you home with, which will be your little friend post-WLS, urinaylsis, sitting down with the NUT to go over your post-surgery food life and meeting with a doctor to give you clearance.  They usually give you some juice or something after the bloodwork is cleared.  Generally, you are there 3 to 4 hours.  Sometimes a gallbalder scan, though I did not have one and not sure Dr. P's patient's undergo that.

Good luck and hope to see you at one of the support meetings soon, if you haven't already begun attending them, there is one tomorrow, which meets from 12noon until 4 p.m. and then Tuesday, Jan 13 at 7 p.m. is another pre-op group, or post-op meets at 7 p.m. on the 21st of Jan.  The meetings take place in Barix' lobby.

Best wishes for a healthy 2009!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

browngirl76
on 1/1/09 10:46 pm - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Laureen,

Thanks so much for the information.  I really appreciate it.  I always like to have as much information as possible about everything.  Knowing what to expect will put my mind at ease. 

I have been to one pre-op support meeting and I am planning on attending the next pre-op meeting on 01/13.  Thanks for the info on the date. 

I agree, it is a great way to start the year. 

Take care!
Pam Hart
on 1/2/09 12:16 am - Easton, PA
Another Barix baby and pupkova fan to boot!!!  Whoo hoo!!  In case you couldn't tell - I'm a barix/pupkova patient myself.

Laureen summed it up for PATs.  It's a bit of a long time there - but they are efficient.  You will also sit down with the insurance person to go over any insurance details and what not and sign some paperwork regarding living wills and stuff (it's daunting and scary, but necessary)

You will be whisked from one person to another person back and forth.

Good luck!!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 1/2/09 12:47 am - PA
Congratulations!!!  The girls covered PATs nicely so I will just wish you the best and a huge welcome to the PA board!

Keri
browngirl76
on 1/2/09 1:38 am - Ridley Park, PA
Thanks for all the help everyone!  I am feeling much better about what to expect. 

Have a great new year!
KFA3
on 1/2/09 3:27 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hey I just had my surgery with Dr. Pupkova and she's great! I think PATs were covered here pretty well, but good luck with everything!
deeg
on 1/2/09 4:55 am - Quakertown, PA
I am also another Pupkova baby....she is WONDERFUL!!!  Welcome and best of luck to you!!!
Dee
HopefulFuture
on 1/8/09 11:57 am - Boston, MA
Congratulations on getting your date!  How exciting!!  February 18 will be here before you know it!!!

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views