Looking forward to a better me in 2009

Jena B.
on 12/28/08 9:51 pm - Baden, PA
Well i'm in the last month of my pre-op diet required by my insurance. I have my nutritionist and psych. eval on the 16th of January, then after that, everything is submitted to insurance and we wait from there. My PCP has me on a 800-1200 cal./day diet which I think my body got use to because I've not lost any weight after the 3rd month of doing it...so as of this morning, I'm all low-carb, high protien, high fiber which is what I'm guessing I'm expected to follow after surgery anyways... I haven't found a protein shake that I like yet, but they say your taste buds change after surgery so wait to find one...
I've invested in baby spoons, tiny plates, bowls, measuring spoons, mixing containers, and a ton of tiny tupperware to store stuff in. I also got a food processer for Christmas, so I think I'm pretty much on my way.
Any advice you guys could give me that would make pre op and initial post op easier would be great. I'm getting nervous and excited all at the same time. Strangely enough, it almost feels like I'm waiting for a huge gift...oh wait...it is :-)
dit657
on 12/28/08 10:20 pm - Boothwyn, PA
It sounds like you're very well prepared for post-op eating as of right now, and yes, your tastes do change a lot following surgery, so stocking up on protein shakes and stuff like that now probably isn't the best idea. Don't know what type of post-op diet your doctor will have you on - they're all a little different.

My only other little piece of advice would be to start doing some form of exercise (if you're not already). Even walking will help - I was almost 400 lbs when I started my journey and I got a puppy and started walking with him, which helped immensely, and then when I went into my insurance requirements part I joined a gym and started out on a recumbant bike, then moved onto some weight training equipment. Every little bit helps.

Best of luck to you on your insurance approval and surgery - it will be here before you know it!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Patricia R.
on 12/28/08 10:48 pm - Perry, MI
Welcome to the PA forum.  I am not sure if you have posted prior, but I am just getting to know you and so thrilled to do so.

While it is true that tastebuds change for some, I have been blessed to find two things that I really enjoy, and can suggest you try now, and see if they are okay for after.  One is Isopure Protein drinks.  They are clear liquids and come in a bottle.  They have 40 grams of protein per bottle and different flavors.  The only flavor I like is the Grape Frost, which reminds me of weak grape Kool-Aid.  The other is AnyWhey protein powder.  It is flavorless and is handy to put on protein shakes I make with yogurt and fruit, or Carnation Sugar Free Instant Breakfasts.

I also suggest you get on the exercise band wagon.  It is great for building up your strength and will benefit you while you are recuperating from your surgery.  Also, I suggest you start doing deep breathing exercises, which I do for relaxation, and will help you with the respiratory therapy part of your recuperation.

Happy New Year,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 12/29/08 12:03 am - Easton, PA
Welcome!!

You sound VERY well prepared.  As far as the not losing anything goes  - the low carb high protein thing is a good idea and yes, protein will be your focus especially early out.  But the other thing is that you just might be stalling, which by the way, will happen early out from surgery too so be prepared.  Anywhere from 3-6 weeks post op is the "average" time for a stall to happen, for up to a few weeks.

You have a lot of what you need, and yes, your tastes will change.   And keep in mind...the protein shake thing is not something you necessarily have to like taking - especially early out.  If you dont' find one you like - find one you can TOLERATE and think of it as medicine - because that's what it is.  Early out (like the first few weeks) you might not hit your protein goals...but you need to try as hard as you possibly can.  Without that protein, your body will be damaged and you don't want that!!

Hope to get to know you better - your attitude thus far is wonderful and you have a lot in place!!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 12/29/08 12:26 am - PA
Welcome to the best support board on OH.  Congrats on your deciding to give yourself this wonderful "gift."  You sound completely prepared and I agree with what has been posted.  Tastes do change and you might not want to be saddled with a bunch of protein mixes that you don't like. 

Keri
KellyD85
on 12/29/08 12:24 pm - Riverside, PA
Welcome!! You definately have a great supply started for this journey. I wish you the best as you continue.

I am one month postop today and have lost 58lbs total.  I have found that I really need to focus on my eating when I'm eating.  If I get caught up in the convo-I don't chew enough and then don't feel too well.

I really try to get 8oz in every hour except near a meal because of the 30 min before/after waiting period.

Get your rest after your surgery. Take pain meds on time-don't let pain get ahead of you. Tie up loose ends before surgery-pay bills, get all laundry done, make a few meals for family for the freezer. 

I created my 'nest' area.  I borrowed a recliner for my bedroom (so I could sleep better after surgery) by which I have a small dorm sized refrig up on a crate right next to me on my left. (the chair is in the corner****ep my light cooking mags, cookbooks, RNY binder from the 6 mo class in the crate.  My laptop is on top along with my "sick basket" which has SF tylenol, liquid narcotic, chapstick, nailfile, Ipod, spoons (for jello, yogurt in frig), gum, sf Halls fruit breezers, lactaid enzyme pills, tissues, cell phone. I have a 6plug strip beside the crate where the laptop, cell phone charger and heating pad are plugged into. I also keep my incentive spirometer on top of the frig.  On my right side, is my nightstand with the light, house phone, library book, pens, paper, remote TV guide, magazines.  Everything is within reach.  I didn't have to bother my husband every time I needed something. 

I did need help initially getting up from my chair, and putting my binder on. (Given in the hospital for support-was on me when I woke from surgery). I needed help drying off from a shower (legs) and putting on underwear and socks.  I had open RNY and couldn't bend over real well at first. My incision was 8" long from between the girls to right above my bellybutton.

Keep up the positive attitude. It will help you immensely as you move forward.

Kelly

HW/SW/CW/GW
303/275/199.4/150    ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!      

HopefulFuture
on 12/31/08 5:23 am - Boston, MA
What a wonderful gift you are giving to yourself for the new year!!!  You seem to be very well prepared and the more research you and the more questions you ask pre-op, the better off you will be post-op.  The others have already given you great advice regarding exercise, protein drinks, tastes changing, etc.  I know you have a little way to go before you get your date, but just something to keep in mind for the day of your surgery:  I would recommend bringing chap-stick with you to the hospital.  Your mouth gets extremely dry after surgery and you won't be able to drink anything right away.  Good luck with the start of your journey and with everything between now and getting your surgery date!

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views