Thyroid Cancer??

Nanci H.
on 12/28/08 1:09 am - Horsham, PA
Hello,

It's been a while since I've visited this forum.  I'm a year and half post-op RNY and was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in August.  Following 2 surgeries in Sept and Nov to have my thyroid and some cancerous lymph nodes removed, I had radiated iodine ablation treatment last week and am having a lot of problems with nausea and vomiting since the radiation dosing. While this is a possible side effect of the treatment, I've been given the impression that what I am experiencing is more severe than the "normal" thyroid cancer patient and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with RNY and thyroid cancer treatment.

Thank you for your help!
Nanci
Liz R.
on 12/28/08 1:21 am - Easton, PA

Nanci - So sorry that you are going through all of this! I hope that all the cancer is gone and you are feeling better soon!

I would imagine that it is because our stomachs are more sensitive post op. Have you asked the Dr about Compazine or Zofram? I think that I spelled them right but maybe Pam can confirm. They saved my Mom while she was going through Chemo/radiation.

Keep up posted! All my best

Liz

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 1:50 am
Nanci,

I had a folicular variant of papillary TyCA 11 years ago.  Had the thyroidectomy and the radioactive iodine.  I am sure treatments are a lot different now, but I was in isolation at U of P for 3 days after the radiation and then isolated at home for 2 weeks.  I had a lot of problems with pain and swelling in my throat after I got home. It was almost to the point where I thought I was going to have to go to the ER.   I also now have scar tissue on one of my salivatory glands that has caused a lump just under my jaw bone.  I think I noticed that about a year ago.  I do remember some nausea after the RA, but nothing severe.  I would think that your pouch is more sensitive than would be a "normal" stomach."  Did they give you anything for nausea?  Went I had surgery about a year ago for something else, they gave me strips to put on my tongue to help with the nausea.

Ask me anything you want and I will be happy to share everything I can remember about the early years.  After 11 years I have forgotten a lot of the specifics. I know it seems like a lot now, but it will become a way of life after awhile.  I honestly don't remember life before the diagnosis.  I spend more time in doctor's offices than someone my age should, but you get used to it.  The labs, the meds...it all becomes routine.  

I'd be interested in knowing where you are going for treatment.  If you want to PM me, feel free.  I switch over to Fox Chase about 6 year ago or so and have been really happy with them.

Heather G 
Patricia R.
on 12/28/08 3:01 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Nanci,
I am sorry to hear you are battling Cancer.  I will be praying for you as you strive to achieve your optimum health.  I know little about cancer, but am sure that HG will be a big help and support to you. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 12/28/08 9:27 pm - Easton, PA
I'm the pam liz was referring to...and the meds are correct that she mentioned - except the spelling of the last one is zofran.  I personally have seen best results with zofran sublinguals for the patients I have treated (I'm a nurse...)  Although I have one friend who for her first pregnancy zofran worked wonders (she was really sick to the point she was hospitalized and lost weight early in the pregnancy) but then the second one zofran did almost nothing and she had to use the compazine suppositories.

Good luck with everything and your continued battle.  I will be praying for you.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Laureen S.
on 12/28/08 10:05 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Nanci,

I have no experience with your situation, but wanted to say I am sorry for your having to go through this and will be sending out prayers and positive thoughts for you to regain your health.

Hugs and Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Nanci H.
on 12/30/08 4:35 am - Horsham, PA
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your kind posts to my inquiry! Turns out that not only was I having nausea from the radiation treatment, but I also caught a touch of the stomach flu that was going around.  Just my luck!!  I am finally, today, starting to feel better!  As always, this message board provided so much love and support! I really appreciate it!

My best to all for a wonderful New year!!!
Thank you again!
Nanci
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/08 10:07 am
I am glad you are starting to feel better!!  If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to ask me!!

Here is to a healthy, happy 2009

Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views