"You don't belong here!"

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 12:20 pm
I know lots of others have heard this, but it was a first for me today.  I had two 25% off coupons for Catherine's...which I grew out of long ago....but old habits die hard and a coupon is a coupon!!  I am standing there minding my own business, when the sales lady asks if I am shopping for myself or someone else.  I said "Me".....she said (very loudly for all to hear I might add)  "You do not belong in here....you are too small for these clothes!"  I laughed, said thank you and smiled....and told her that old habits die hard.  I also told her that my ass and thighs have'nt quite made the leap completely into misses sizes yet. After it sunk in, I almost wanted to cry because she was right....I don't belong in there, but I have such a hard time seeing/believing that.  BTW..it was a good kind of cry, not bad kind of cry LOL  

I bought a tight size 12 the other day, can get into a 14 that I found in the closet and I also have old jeans that are 16's and 18's that I can still wear...it all depends on the style, material, etc.  I do have some jeans that hang half way down my ass because they are too big in the waist, but so far, they haven't fallen down to my ankles, so I keep wearing them....i just wear a long sweater to hide the droopy butt.  It drives me crazy that my pant sizes are all over the place.   

Anyway...I just thought I would share my first experience with being told I don't belong in a store with the people who would understand.  :) 

HG
Pam Hart
on 12/28/08 12:39 pm - Easton, PA
Good for you Heather!!  You might not belong there anymore...but we are glad you belong to us!!

Congrats!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 9:47 pm
Yeah, "us" is a great place to belong!

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 1:04 pm - Poconos, PA
Congratulations Heather! 

I am soooo happy for you! You basically got yourself kicked out of the store but in a polite way. That's awesome!!

Don't let the varying sizes get to you too much. I think it's quite common for many of us. I know for me, my jeans are always at least 2 sizes smaller than my dressy dress pants and my khaki's are usually 1 size up but at one the stores at The Crossings, they're 1 size down. I even have that problem with shirts. I wear a small from every single store but Old Navy. No matter what tops I buy from there, I always have to get large. Like you said, it's the material, the cut, the brand etc.

Congrats again and enjoy your moment!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 9:48 pm
I love Old Navy.  I went in there for the first time last winter and was so excited (and surprised) that I fit into their clothes.  I love having the variety of stores to go into now...I just have to stop going into the "old me" stores. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/08 11:44 am - Poconos, PA
I agree. You definitely need to stop going into the "old you" stores....That and for crying out loud, will ya ditch the pants that are falling off your ass already??!!  LOL...Seriously, you're much too beautiful to be walking around in potato sack pants.
Mary Benford
on 12/28/08 5:23 pm - Emmaus, PA

Yay for being thrown out of the plus sized store!!!   I know it's a bittersweet moment...   But at least she was comfortable enough with you to snap you back into reality!   It's hard sometimes to see what others see.  I'll be the first to admit that...   but then again sometimes just a "reminder" like this one is enough to make us realize.

You're so absolutely gorgeous!   Enjoy shopping off the rack at "normal" stores.

And ps- I agree!    Old navy runs very very small.  I can usually wear a small/medium shirt, but from old navy, I always need a large.   The varying sizes between designers is absolutely amazing! And even simetimes discouraging!  When I bought my wedding gown, I thought they were going to have to give me a plus sized one because their made by eurpoean sizes...   thank god the one I bought was true-to-size!!!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 9:49 pm
I can't wait to see that wedding dress!!

HG
Arlene E.
on 12/28/08 5:40 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Heather

It is very difficult to digest - not unlike many of the things we try to stuff in our pouch.  You may now join the rank of "normal" size shoppers which feels very strange for a long time.  I am still having trouble getting used to it.  I kind of feel lost when I go to shop, especially when a salesperson says that something will be too large.  I have to remember that in the past 2 years I have been in so many sizes.  Maybe that is why it is so difficult for me  to feel comfortable choosing clothes.  In the back of my mind I very well know that in the past I would buy something, and then later grow out of it to a larger size.  I never want that to happen again, but the fear is still there.

So. congratulations, and enjoy the new you.

arlene 

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/08 9:54 pm
Thanks Arlene.  I love shopping at the misses size stores, but I just can't seem cut the final string attaching me to the plus size stores.  I actually find the large variety of options in the misses sections overwhelming. 

hg
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views