Am I the only dense one here?

Pam Hart
on 12/27/08 3:33 am - Easton, PA
I swear...I've had fruit cakes that are less dense than me.

I noticed today that I was "hungrier" than normal.  So a little while ago I was on the phone w/ my girlfriend who I haven't talked to in quite some time.  In the beginning of the conversation I had my normal serving of ricotta cheese (1/2 cup)  Noticed "awhile" into the conversation that I was still physically hungry...so I made myself a ham and cheese roll up with two thin slices of ham and a cheesestick.  And I ate that.

Was STILL hungry so I ate another cheesestick.

Grand total of the conversation during that time frame.....40 mins.  Now...it generally takes me 20 mins to eat the ricotta cheese...and at least 15 minutes for the roll up (This, by the way, is when I am paying attention to my eating unlike what I was doing while talking with my girlfriend and just kind of shoving food down my throat apparantly)

So here I sit (and get ready for this lovely visual) with snot running down my face...coughing up foamies...and my eyes tearing up.

So...at 14 mos out I STILL have not learned to constantly pay attention to what I am eating, how much I chew...how much I eat at one time...and how fast I eat it.  Granted, pre op that "meal" would have been a drop in the bucket....but post op within 1/2 hour - I might as well have been at a pre op buffet as if tomorrow was never coming.  Not to mention I NEVER eat that much at one sitting.  The ricotta cheese is generally a meal or a snack for me  OR two cheesesticks.  Let alone the ham.

Lesson:  Chew chew chew
Question:  Will I learn??

sheesh.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
bubble273
on 12/27/08 4:06 am - Levittown, PA
Pam,

I know exactly what you mean.  I came home the other day and grabbed 3 s/f choc chip cookies that I had made and proceeded to eat them like I was a preop.  Well, for a half an hour afterwards I was belching every three seconds.  I didn't get the foamies, but it definitely wasn't fun bleching up the cookies.  I even said to my dad, as far out as I am I still have to remember that I have a different tummy and that I need to still take my time.  But without these little lessons that we often give to ourselves, we would be right back at square one pre op.

Karen

Pam Hart
on 12/27/08 9:23 am - Easton, PA
Hey Karen,

Thanks!  At least I know I'm not the only one!  And yes...it does make sure we don't end up back at square one pre op, despite how we feel during it.

Just a question on the chocolate chip cookies....I noticed on your recipie (which I also saved off the bag, just like you said it was there, duh!) that it calls for the splenda blend and brown sugar blend.  Have you had any trouble with dumping off of them?  (besides the belching from eating to fast?)  I think the blends are half sugar half splenda so I was just wondering.  And I'm surprised that the back of the bag can call them "sugar free chocolate chip cookies" as the blends are NOT sugar free.  I have half a mind to write to them telling them that it is false advertising....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
bubble273
on 12/27/08 11:32 am - Levittown, PA
I did use the splenda blend and was okay with it.  I didn't want to use the diabetisweet, because I wasn't totally thrilled with it when I made my sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving.  But all seemed well with the blend.  I used it because it said it was only 2 grams of sugar.  So I thought, well, what the hell, I'll try it.

Karen

cleos_mom
on 12/28/08 12:59 am - phila., PA
Hi Pam
 Isued the diabeta sweet in the SF cookies and it was ok but be careful with the diabet sweet in other things because it is to sweet and then it tastes funny
Susan
Shannon O.
on 12/27/08 4:29 am - Reading, PA
well I know I haven't been getting in protein like I should in the last 3 days but with my coughing fits it has been hard to eat normal foods... milk seemed to make the coughs worse so my protein shakes were out of the question... but on Christmas day I was so hungry but coughing so much I knew I had to eat or I was going to pass out... so I grabbed a sugar free cookie that I had made... well I didn't pay attention... later I counted through out the day I had 7 sugar free cookies... and the runs to prove it... but at least I'm not stuffed up down there anymore lol...

Pam Hart
on 12/27/08 9:26 am - Easton, PA
Yes - not being stuffed up down there is a plus - sorry you had to do it that way, though.  But then again...sf cookies are tastier than peri colace any day, hee hee.

As an aside....milk and dairy products almost always make coughs worse - because lactose causes mucous build up making any pre existing congestion worse.  Watch out for this with Lorelei, too.  Kids have an even worse time with dairy and coughs....so if she has any respiratory things going on at any time...keep her away from dairy for a good while, too.

Feel better!

Pam
Shannon O.
on 12/27/08 11:12 am - Reading, PA
yeah i pretty much skipped all dairy for me because of the coughing... and I have tried that with Lore but she won't drink water... at all... and juice and her antibotics just don't mix lol... so I tend to put ice cubes in her milk sippys... hehehe...

Liz R.
on 12/27/08 7:03 am - Easton, PA
PAm - I am almost 2 years out and still do this on occasion too. This morning I had a clementine and ate it WAY too fast - not 5 minutes later I was in the bathroom throwing it up. Chris just stands there and shakes his head - we both know that I know better but I get distracted and "forget" sometimes. WE are still human after all.

Hope you are feeling better

Liz
Pam Hart
on 12/27/08 9:29 am - Easton, PA
Awww, thanks Liz.  Brian does the same thing...just stands there and shakes his head and then after the fact says "dont' you know you can't do that?"  Uh..yea....I do...it's the distraction thing just like you said.  I seriously have to pay attention to what I am eating, when I am eating it, and what I am doing while eating it or I pay.  It's one of the reasons I almost exclusively eat cheesesticks, yogurt, ricotta cheese and the like at work.  Because those things I can eat (mostly) without paying to much attention and not have to chew to much (except for the cheese) so I can take a spoonful of the yogurt and then go do something with a patient or whatever without worrying about it getting stuck.

And yes, I felt better soon.  Luckily enough when I am stupid like that, I only pay for about 30 minutes or so.  Granted, longest 30 mins of my life....but 30 mins all the same.

Thanks!

Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views