Exercise, what is your favorite?

Kate_R
on 12/26/08 8:50 pm - Thompsontown, PA
Hi, I have been trying out different exercise videos and other things trying to keep the weight loss moving the right direction.  I figure if i can find something that is also fun, I will stay motivated.  So far I have tried the Turbo Jam DVDs  Which I kind of like but my concern is sometimes I think they go too fast for me to make sure that I am using correct form.  I have also started using the Core Rhythms DVDs which I like, but I also feel concerned that I am not using correct form.  Perhaps I am being too concerned and should just be happy to be up and moving and getting the heart rate up?

I also have been using the Elliptical machine too, but it seems to stress my knees some.  What does everyone else enjoy doing?

Kate
Pam Hart
on 12/26/08 10:41 pm - Easton, PA
In my many attempts before this surgery to lose weight I used multiple video tapes.  What I learned is when I started learning a new tape or a new exercise form...yes, you NEED to be concerned on form - you could injure yourself otherwise.  That being said - don't worry so much about getting in every single rep or whatever they are doing.  Go at a pace that allows you to learn the form and keep your heart rate up.  So if they do 12 and you do 8-10 so be it. The other option is to slowly go through the tape one day (not to be counted as your exercise) and pause it as needed to do extra reps or whatever to learn that form.

I have just recently gotten exercise tapes and will let you know what I like.  I am trying yoga and pilates for the first time.  I also would like to get some dance aerobics tapes as I always liked them before hand.

At the gym, I do love the elliptical.  I started out this journey wanting to run a 5k and I have learned that I still hate running.  Absolutely hate it.  Therefore....I stopped doing that because it does not keep me motivated and then I stop doing it.  On the elliptical I alternate directions and intensity to keep it new and interesting.  I don't like ab work but do it because, well, my mid section is a mess and I would hate to think what it would look like otherwise.

I also enjoy swimming although I have to keep up on myself because I tend to "slack" off and enjoy just "playing" in the pool more than I do exercise.

And I love weights...any type.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
CherylT
on 12/26/08 10:59 pm - Perkasie, PA
I do Richard Simmons dvds and tapes--the Sweatin to the Oldies, Disco Sweat and step and Sweat the most. Lately it has been getting harder and harder to work up a sweat with some of those so I may have to supplement my routine with a tae-bo tape and a Jane Fonda tape. I also walk my dog Coco every day. with the warm weather this weekend I'm hoping to get out walking, I haven't been to a big park with my new self yet!

:)

wendy G.
on 12/26/08 11:01 pm - north wales, PA
Hi All,

I like to go out and walk in the community, parks and on occasion will take  (they take me)  the teenage boys on a 2 day hike somewhere.  I do this rain or shine.  I also like to swim to change things up.

Wendy
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 12:32 am
I like the eliptical and the treadmill.  I am trying to get back into running, but I am finding it as easy as when I was in my 20's!  The bikes and ARC trainers bother my knees, so I stay off of them.  I take karate 2 days a week now, but will be increasing to 4-5 days in January.  I also do weight training both on the machines and with free weights...I change up what I do each time.  No matter what type of cardio you choose, you also need to make sure you are mixing some strength training and stretching into your workouts.  As for the "free" stuff...I love to walk the dogs or go hiking. 

Good luck finding something that you enjoy and that keeps you motivated. 

Heather
bethmal
on 12/27/08 7:06 am
RNY on 12/26/17
I like running.  I put on my iPod and go - either outside or on the treadmill.  I did 4 miles yesterday after being off for a week and my legs are screaming today!  I also started doing yoga at the gym and at home.  Makes me feel longer (I'm short) and leaner.

Good luck finding something you enjoy.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

shoutjoy
on 12/28/08 4:24 am - Culpeper, VA
I love to dance!  Irish.  I have to travel a ways to get to a class and this weather and our finances aren't helping.  So, I am having major withdrawal here

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views