OT - Inner City Medical Slang

Pam Hart
on 12/22/08 10:57 pm - Easton, PA
So here is a real conversation from last night....between myself, another nurse, and an "inner city" patients family

Me:   What medications does he take?
Family:  "He takes one of dem tiny asprins and den one uv dem vitamins, and peanut butter balls"

Another nurse:  "Peanut butter balls?"
Family:  Yep, 3 of 'em

Nurse:  Are you SURE it's peanut butter balls?
Family (becoming upset)  " I is tellin you, da man takes peanut butter balls"

Me:  What does he take Peanut Butter Balls for?
Family:  His seizures so he don't get dem no more.
Me:  Where do you get them from?
Family:  *sigh* from da same place he gits all his medications from....da pharmacy right down the corner

**Me and the other nurse look at each other quizzickly, both obviosly trying to put 2 and 2 together**

The other nurse:  Do you mean phenobarbitol?  (pronounced FEEN-A- BARB-I-TOL)

Family:  Yep yep - dats what we has bin saying, peanut butter balls!

And you thought you didn't have to be a detective to be a nurse!!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
tanya72100
on 12/22/08 11:04 pm - Schuylkill Haven, PA
OMG .. that is too funny. I went to school for MEdical billing and Coding.. having 2 med term classes and seems even more funnier to me!!

Welcome to A town!!!

Pam Hart
on 12/23/08 12:41 pm - Easton, PA
Yea....in jersey I worked in Newark and Irvington and East Orange...all of which put most of what inner city Allentown I have seen to shame......same idea though :)
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 12/22/08 11:17 pm - Easton, PA
LOL - Pam you just learned a new language!!!
jojobear98
on 12/23/08 12:29 am - Gettysburg, PA
LMAO! I love it. Luckily I don't work in an ER, so we can require our patients to BRING thier meds with them to thier appts. Otherwise I's have peanut butter balls and god knows what else listed in thier charts! LOL

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

CherylT
on 12/23/08 4:13 am - Perkasie, PA
ROTFLMAO!!

babymamaRN
on 12/26/08 1:35 pm
Hello all,
I am new to this forum- so I suppose I shouldn't start off on a bad foot.. how ever, I won't let that stop me...
I have to comment on how offensive I find the humor in this anecdote. As someone who lives in the "inner city, " as well as a nurse myself, I find how you depicted your interaction with your patient as demoralizing, and frankly racist.  Although you never let us know what the race of the family member is, your portrayal leaves little to the imagination.
Now, I won't deny the humor that can be found in many of our patient interactions- you have to in order to survive sometimes. However, I would be ashamed and embaressed if I were to mock a patient in this way. From what I can tell, people on this forum come from all walks of life...and I'm sure many are from the "inner city." Is yu tlkin 'bout dem?
I work in one of the busiest hospitals in the city. The people we treat come from all walks of life- from the very wealthy- to the very poor- to the very educated, and not so educated- and almost every race and culture.  Miscommunication is a very big issue. But it is one we take very seriously, rather than mock. 
Now to cut you a break- I'm assuming you meant no harm, but wrote this out of ignorance.  I just hope instead of freaking out when you read this, you'll think a bit more next time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views