Need help in the Poconos

Jackie W.
on 12/22/08 10:53 am
A friend of mine had the RNY in Jan '08.  He had a problem with ulcers in the beginning, vomiting, not being able to tolerate much in the way of food.  He is down to about 170-165 (not sure of starting weight, but he was a big guy from my understanding).  His wife is concerned.  I know our spouses usually think we don't eat enough because they don't understand.  But she is truly concerned.  She said that he eats almost nothing, a little bit here a little bit there.  He isn't getting his protein in!!!  He hasn't had any blood work done, he is depressed also.  He has mentioned concerns to his "Dr" about losing too much.  Here is the clicker....his "Dr" moved to another state, so he is dealing with the Dr that took over the office.  They are telling him that he will continue to lose, they think he will lose more!  His daughter, wife and SIL are all concerned.

Now the question.......who do you suggest he go to for a 2nd opinion??  I'm no help because my Dr is down in Abington.  I suggested Dr Rovito, I went to him when I was researching RNY.  The Dr that moved is Dr Koren, I went to him as my first WLS experience!  I know there are other Dr's in the Lehigh Valley (don't know names), Wilkes Barre (don't know their names either). 

I told his wife to come over to OH, I don't think she has!  Any help would be appreciated!!  Thank you!!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 11:34 am - Poconos, PA
Sorry to hear about your friend and sorry to hear he lost Dr. Koren. I know quite a few people who had their surgeries with him and they all thought the world of him..

I think a 2nd opinion is most definitely the right thing to do however and this comes from first hand experience, it may be very difficult for your friend to find a bariatric surgeon in this area who is willing to see him. I had my surgery in NJ and for several different reasons, recently needed to find a surgeon here to take over my follow up care. I can not tell you how many surgeons I called and not one of them would take me on as a patient. I called doctors here in the Poconos, doctors down in Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown..you name it. They wanted nothing to do with me because they did not perform my surgery. It could very well turn out to be different for your friend since it would be a 2nd opinion, I don't know but it's certainly worth trying.

I wish your friend all the best. I hope he's able to find someone to help him.
Jackie W.
on 12/23/08 11:35 am
Thanks Val!  I really liked Dr Koren.  He would've done my surgery had I gone with the RNY!  My mom was pushing me to go to Dr Rovito, but I liked Dr Koren much better.  I was sad to hear he left the area.  I've been telling my friends wife he needs to see someone else.  I don't think she has called anyone yet, she wasn't sure where to start.  I told her that hubby needs to be proactive!!  I'll make sure that she says that care would be a "2nd opinion"!  I'll keep you posted!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:

Pam Hart
on 12/22/08 3:41 pm - Easton, PA
If he can't find another doctor in the area, he can take matters into his own hands and demand blood work and what not to be done on him.

You can try Barix clinics....I'm not sure they will accept another persons pataient, but you can try.  They are located in Langhorne.  It might be about 1hr for them....but it would be worth it.

If he's not tolerating food - he needs to go back to protein drinks or supplements and make sure he gets his vitamins in, too.  Those are very important all the time, let alone w/ poor intake.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Jackie W.
on 12/23/08 11:39 am
Thanks Pam!!  I knew here is where I would get the best suggestions!  I told her she may have to look all over, but start out close and work your way from that point!

I've been driving home to them that he needs protein supplements!!  With out those, he will get very sick!!  I suggested Vitalady, because of the samples and Unjury.  I forgot to ask her if he is taking all his vits.  She just keeps saying he isn't doing good, he's not eating.  I mentioned that if he takes protein supplements it may help with the weight loss, it may slow it down a bit.  Because there is more sustenance there.  More for he body to work with!!

Thanks again for your help.  I'll pass on the Barix name!

My stats:

R K.
on 12/22/08 7:17 pm
Easton has a new doctor that has started and is supposed to be good. If it was me I would call Twin Rivers Gastroentology near Olive Garden in Easton. Doctor Herman and his associate have scoped RNY patients and are excellent. Has your friend been taking any of the nono drugs or NSAID`s?
If he lives near you the Palmerton support group would be beneficial to both him and his wife. There is usually a nurse and nutritionist there.
As far as doctors in the valley. I researched and over researched the subject, had relatives that are RN`s research it and a friend that is a Doctor research it and I used Clarence Holland Jr at Sacred Heart.

Twin Rivers Gastroenterology

20 Community Dr
Easton, PA 18045 Map

•  
  • (610) 258-0982
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Jackie W.
on 12/23/08 11:46 am

Thank you!!  I will mention that one to him.  That one isn't the one where Dr Koren was, is it?  Dr Koren did his surgery.  I can't remember what the docs name that is doing his follow up appts, but he took over for Koren.  I don't think it was Dr Herman. 
I don't know if he has taken the NSAIDs.  I know he knows he can't have them!  I mentioned about Palmerton, didn't know if it started up yet or not!  My friend Michele mentioned that Palmerton was going to start a Bariatric Program, but was unsure of when.  I'll throw Dr Hollands name his way, he can check him out. 

I feel like I'm talking til I'm blue in the face sometimes with them!  So I thought I'd throw the questions out to everyone here on the PA board then pass the names on to them!  What they do with the info is there problem, but at least I've done what I can do!

My stats:

Liz R.
on 12/22/08 8:21 pm - Easton, PA
I live in Easton and am happy to help however I can - I host support groups once a month and he and his wife / daughter / family are more then welcome to attend - I would encourage it.

dr Brader is in Lancaster but well worth the trip - the number is 717-544-2935.

Bes tof luck to your friend!

Liz
Jackie W.
on 12/23/08 11:48 am
Hi Liz!  I've read A LOT about your support groups!!  I've mentioned you to them.  Her sister lives in Easton, I thought they would jump at the chance for support.  I know I get soo much from these boards alone!  Plus all my friends (post ops) and I know I'd get more if I went to some local support groups.

Thanks for Dr Braders name, I'll pass it along to them!!

My stats:

R K.
on 12/22/08 8:44 pm
Dr Holland and Koren were good friends so he may be willing to see your friend.

DOCTOR Clarence A Holland, Jr., M.D. 
SPECIALTY Bariatric Surgery
ADDRESS 451 Chew St., Ste. 407
CITY, STATE , ZIP Allentown, PA, 18102
PHONE (610) 821-2855
FAX (610) 821-2858
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views