My turn to ask for prayers

SPatel4
on 12/22/08 8:24 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Everyone,
I just started my new job today and they let me off early today when I got home my daughter was sleeping so my mother-in-law said why don't you finish your Christmas shopping?? My husband took the whole week as vacation so both of us headed to Sam's Club. We were gone maybe 20 minutes and we see a lot of smoke and fire trucks on our street and my husband keeps telling me that its our house on fire. Turns out its my next door neighbor whose house burned down my neighbor and his brother who lives with him were home and got out okay but their corvette that was in the garage is totally gone. His mountaineer that was in the driveway is also destroyed and his whole house is gone. This frigid weather and blowing wind damaged my entire side of my house and my whole house is smoke damaged. 3 days before Christmas all these horrible things are happening to my neighbor. Please keep up in your thoughts and prayers. We are very lucky and thankful that both my mother-in-law and daughter got out safe my neighbor 2 houses down ran to get my daughter out without shoes and just in a blanket, My mother in law fell in the driveway and scraped her knee but is okay and our kind neighbors gave me and my kids clothes and everything we need to get to a hotel. The fire marshall said that we do not have to go to a hotel and can stay here. We decided since the kids were so scared to stay but the house smells like smoke. I have the pure hepafilter fans going on in every room but I found out something interesting from the fire marshall there were about 10 public adjusters that showed up with the firefighters and offered to get us more money from the insurance companies. Apparently they are like ambulance chasers according to the fire marshalls. Why would these people do this for a living I almost said yes to one of the adjusters who said he would take care of everything for me but took the fire marshall's advice and called the insurance company who will work with my neighbor's insurance company to take care of everything. Please wish me luck and pray for my neighbor and us. Tonight hug your kids and be thankful for everything you have been blessed with. I just wanted to let everyone know I love you guys and will never forget the kindness and generosity of all the people on this board.

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

bubble273
on 12/22/08 8:45 am - Levittown, PA
Oh, my Dear Lord, Shilpa!!!  Thank God you and your family are okay and your neighbor.  Please know that you are in my thoughts.  If there is anything you need, just give me a holler!!!  Please take good care.

Karen

EileenWalton
on 12/22/08 8:49 am
Thank God everyone is okay.  I'm sure it was a very scary experience for your little ones.    A few years ago my house went up in flames on Christmas Eve.  Thankfully, I was the only one home at the time so I got me and my dog out just before the flames took out my whole first floor.  It's a chilling experience, but in the end it just makes you realize even more that your house and all it's belongings are replaceable.....it's life that really matters.  Someone was looking over your family and your neighbors today.  Yes, they will be a little disconnected for a while, but eventually they will be back home, surrounded by their family, and all their new possessions.

Have a happy and safe holiday!
Eileen

Nicole0216
on 12/22/08 9:11 am - Lancaster, PA
Jason and I were in a similar situation 2 years ago, It is very scary and I am sorry you are dealing with it. But so thankful you all are ok. My thoughts go out to your neighbor and you all
cleos_mom
on 12/22/08 10:17 am - phila., PA
Thank God no one was hurt, things can be replaced, what a awful time you must be going thru.
Susan
CherylT
on 12/22/08 10:23 am - Perkasie, PA
I am so sorry. That's terrible.

Shan08
on 12/22/08 10:31 am - the Skook, PA
Aw i'm really sorry this happened
and u definitely have prayers going up

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 10:34 am - Poconos, PA
I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. My aunt lost her home to a fire right before christmas quite a few years ago and it was one of the most difficult things our family had ever gone through. Just thinking about what "could have" happened was not an easy thing to deal with so I completely understand what you're going through and I definitely have you and your neighbors in my thoughts and prayers.

The cars, the siding on the house...none of that would matter if something horrible had happened to any of you. The material things, though still very difficult to lose, can all be replaced and they will be. The most important thing is that you, your family and your neighbors made it through this unharmed and for that, we are all very grateful.

If you need ANYTHING at all to help you get through this, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure many of us will do whatever we can for you even if it's just a matter of lending an ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on.

Jackie W.
on 12/22/08 11:02 am
I'm so sorry to hear about the fire!  They are so devastating!  I grew up in a fire co, and I'm still pretty much part of the local fire company (I just don't fight the fires or go to the fires any more)!! Right before Christmas is the worst!  I'll be thinking of all families involved.  My advice, hire one of those company's that comes in and cleans your house and gets all the smoke smell out!  They do amazing work!  Best wishes to you all!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

Patricia R.
on 12/22/08 12:22 pm - Perry, MI
Thank God you are all right, and that no humans were hurt in the fire.  I read the article on Phillyburbs this afternoon.  It told about how your neighbor got your mother and child out safely.  It also mentioned a Kitty was killed in the fire. 

I am praying for all involved.  Be safe.

Hugs,
Trish

P.S.  Dr. Singh, at Dr. Gupta's office thinks I have osteo-arthritis and has recommended X-rays, two medications and physical therapy. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  She is terrific.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views