Awesome Thrift Store Finds!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 11:00 pm - Eastern, PA
Hi everybody-

Just wanted to share the loot I snagged at a little thrift shop in Shippensburg over the weekend:

• One hand-made stained glass Christmas window decoration

• One pair of cuff links for my Dad. He needed them for a shirt I bought him, but it's the only shirt he has that needs cuff links, so I hope he doesn't mind that the cuff links say "Pete" on them, even though his name is Barry (not Pete). He told me not to buy him new ones, and only buy them if I could get them "for a dollar at Goodwill." I'm sure he'll see the humor in all of this, and I have no doubt that he will use these cuff links when he wears that shirt.

• A suede jacket for myself that was so obviously designed in the early 90's. It's light brown, with hunter green and cranberry flannel patches strategically sewn into the design. It also has a gigantic floppy jedi hood. It's lined, and extremely comfortable, and as I didn't really have a cold-weather brown coat, I bought it. I really like it a lot, fashionistas be damned.

and finally...

• A full length white leather coat with fur-trimmed sleeves and a hood for my lovely fiancee. I saw it hanging there, and it just jumped out at me. I have no doubt the jacket is older than Mary is, as it most likely dates back to the early- to mid-70s. But it's an absolutely gorgeous coat, and it looks awesome on her. Sorry PETA freaks, it's real fur, too. :)

Grand total for all of this awesomeness:

$10.49, tax included.

God bless thrift stores.

Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 11:10 pm - Easton, PA
Well holy crap norm...that's awesome!!

I'm sure "pete" will love his not new cuff links!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 11:11 pm - Easton, PA
Oh...and Mary's coat sounds soooooo awesome!  She will look stunning in it!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jojobear98
on 12/14/08 11:55 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I am a thrift store Junkie. I hit them up all the time. There are great finds all the time and what a deal saver. I can't get over the stuff people get rid of!

I fact I just got my daughter a beautiful Christmas Dress for 25 cents.........yeah.......a quarter and I would bet the dress was only worn once by some other little girl for the holidays. I LOVE finding deals!

I haven't been to any in shippensburg but head that way every so often so I will have to plan for that.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

keri2008
on 12/15/08 12:32 am - PA
Wow.  That's fantastic.  I used to hit them when the kids were growing up and for me until I got too "big" and there wasn't anything there for me.  I HAVE to go soon as I keep giving away clothes because they're too big but not replacing them.  Must be why the people at work keep looking at me funny.

k
bubble273
on 12/15/08 2:32 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Norm,

I love your post and love the fact that you got such awesome things for basically pennies!!!  WAY TO GO!!!!  I too have found that I don't mind shopping at thrift stores, that is when I have the patience for it.  Some of them just **** me off, because you have to look through every piece of clothing for a size.  But you can't beat the deals you find.  So when I have the patience and time, I will head out to the one up the street from me.

Just had to comment about Shippensburg.  I applied to college there, but didn't get in.  I guess my SAT scores weren't good enough.  I was a dummy when it came to the SATs.  But I LOVED Shippensburg and was very devastated that I didn't get to go there.  The irony is that I applied for Peirce College in Philly and actually took a test to get in.  Well, I did so good on the test that they gave me a renewing scholarship each year and my tuition was paid.  Who woulda thunk it???  Doesn't make sense to me.  But realistically if I did go to Shippensburg my life would have turned out completely different.  I do believe God works in mysterious ways!!!

Thanks for your post, Norm!!!  Your posts always make me laugh and bring a HUGE smile to my face    Hope everyone enjoys your "cheap" purchases!!!

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/08 11:50 am
  Have I told you lately that you are my idol?? 
Jackie W.
on 12/15/08 8:29 pm
That is awesome!!  That coat sounds gorgeous!!

I went to a Thrift Store in Hellertown a couple of months back (I have to get back down there after the holidays, need more clothes).  I got about 7-8 pairs of pants and 2 sweaters.  Five bags full of stuff for $20!!!!!  And they are nice clothes!!  Coldwater Creek, Arizona brands, LL Bean brands....really great shape too!!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

LindaScrip
on 1/4/09 9:49 am
I always said one person's trash is another person's treasure.  To share something near Langhorne's Barix Clinic is a place called Plato's Closet near Woodbourne Road and Rt. 1.  Check it out you can find some things there. Also never apologize for wearing fur.  My choice.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views