Recipes from Yesterday's meeting

Liz R.
on 12/14/08 8:10 pm, edited 12/14/08 8:44 pm - Easton, PA

OK so we made/ate all of these at my house yesterday. The chicken meatballs are very good. Garbanzo bean burgers are EXCELLENT and a terrific source of protein. The Peanut Brittle ( I made with almonds) is great as well - jus****ch it is made with butter so it can make some dump, it is a sweet treat and meant as an occasional indulgance - great to serve at a holiday party where it will only be sampled.  ENJOY!!

PEANUT BRITTLE

½ cup butter
1 cup
diabetisweet
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups roasted salted peanuts

Lightly coat a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet.

Stir in diabetisweet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will first stay separate and appear grainy, then blend together smoothly.

Coo****il syrup darkens to a golden caramel color, about the same color as the peanuts, 15-18 minutes (hard crack stage in a cup of ice water), then remove from heat.

Working quickly, first stir in vanilla extract, then fold in nuts.

Transfer onto prepared baking sheet and using the cooking spoon, pat nuts and candy into single layer.

Allow mixture to harden at room temperature. When brittle has cooled completely break into bite sized pieces and store in an airtight container.

Garbanzo Bean Burgers

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup carrots, grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can, drained)
  • 5 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
  • Oil for frying

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onions, carrots, garlic, cumin, celery seed, and salt over medium heat until the onions are transparent. In a food processor, combine the nuts, and blend until 1/2 are a coarse meal and the other are just cracked. Place in a large mixing bowl and add the Sauteed vegetable mixture. Add the garbanzo beans in the processor and process the same way as the nuts. Add flour and arrowroot. Add the beans and parsley to the mixing bowl. Mix everything together well until the mixture has enough body to form a patty. If the mixture is too dry or crumbly, add a small amount of water to help the mixture bind. Form the mixture into 4 burgers. Lightly oil the frying pan and fry the burgers over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned

No-Sugar Sugar Cookies
Submitted by: Maker of SPLENDA(R) Sweetener Products
Indulge yourself with these guilt-free treats. Great for kids and adults!
Servings: 48

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup light butter
1 cup SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly oil a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Blend together butters, SPLENDA(R) Granulated Sweetener and 
vanilla in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, or by hand.  
Blend until butter is softened.  Add egg substitute, water and 
vinegar.  Mix briefly.  Add flours, salt and baking powder.  Mix on 
low speed, until dough is formed.  Do not overmix.
3. Remove dough from bowl and place on a floured work surface.  
Divide dough in half.  Pat each half into a circle and cover with 
plastic wrap.  Refrigerate approx. 1 hour, allowing dough to chill.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out on a floured work 
surface to desired thickness, approx. 1/4 inch.  Cut with cookie 
cutters.   Place cookies on prepared sheet.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven 10-12 minutes or until 
lightly browned on the back. Cool on a wire rack.

Spanikopia Chicken Meatballs

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for liberal drizzling
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
  • 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted.
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning)
  • 1 1/2 cups Greek style plain yogurt
  • 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh dill
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons, 1/2 a palm full, cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons, 1/2 a palm full, coriander
  • Salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a bowl combine onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Squeeze the water out of the spinach until completely dry. Separate the spinach as you add it to garlic and onion. Add feta, chicken and grill seasoning to the bowl and a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix the meat with veggies and feta and form 18 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place the meatballs on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes until they are golden and juices run clear.

Place yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, cumin, coriander and a little salt in food processor and process until smooth. Adjust seasonings and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve meatballs alongside sauce with toothpicks.
cleos_mom
on 12/14/08 8:29 pm - phila., PA
Hi Liz
I am soryy I misse dcooking class this all sounds great.
what are natures sweet crystals, I want to make this Peanut brittle
Liz R.
on 12/14/08 8:43 pm - Easton, PA
Susan - I couldn't find them in the store - I used the diabetisweet brown sugar and it worked great! Took a lot less time then they called for. It is SO good! I could eat the whole pan and dump all day! lol

We missed you but glad to hear that you are recovering well - hopefully you will feel up to the trip next month!

Liz
Nicole0216
on 12/14/08 9:50 pm - Lancaster, PA
oh yum i wish i could have been there. thanks for the recipes
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 10:08 pm - Easton, PA
Sounds awesome!!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 12/14/08 10:23 pm - Easton, PA
also made your cheesecakes - OMG are they good! Have a vision of tiny bite-sized ones for my open house next week!

Oh, and could you tell me the name of that brownie mix?

Thanks!
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 11:06 pm - Easton, PA
Glad you liked the cheesecakes.

I have made them in mini muffin tins before...the only downside to that is that nilla wafers or oreos don't fit in the bottom - so if you want a crust...you have to do a crumb crust which is time consuming because obviously you have to do each little tiny crust....or make them crustless.

Big Train Brownie Mix.  I ordered mine from

www.netrition.com

The good thing about this site is that if you choose standard shipping it is a flat $5 fee...so no matter how much stuff you order...you are only paying $5  I order my davinci syrup from them now for that reason.  It is a bit pricier than some other sites, but those other sites charge by weight for shipping...and I tend to order a bunch of bottles all at once...so I actually save a lot of money.  Here is the link directly to the brownie mix:

http://www.netrition.com/big_train_brownie_mix_page.html

If you go to the main page, on the left hand side there is a "low carb" link which brings up a page with just low carb products.  Not all are sugar free (the brownies have cane juice in them...but a serving size is something like 4 or 6gm of sugar which I can tolerate)

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 10:29 pm
Liz,

Thanks for posting the goodies~ I was thinking of you guys while I was working. I did miss you all but the cookies sound yummy so does does the peanut brittle.
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 11:08 pm - Easton, PA
I made the sugar cookies last year.  The only downside I had was I rolled them out a little to thick...and they were kind of cake like.

If you look on the splenda website, they give a recipie for splenda powdered sugar (basically splenda and cornstarch processed in a food processor) and then I mixed that with some milk and food coloring for icing.  It turned out alright...but didn't harden like regular powdered sugar glaze....kind of got chewy.

Pam
HopefulFuture
on 12/15/08 5:28 am - Boston, MA
Thank you for posting these, Liz!  Wish I could have been there!!

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views