Age requirement question for WLS

dit657
on 12/14/08 9:38 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Saturday we had my husband's family Christmas party. Two of his granddaughters are very heavy (the 18 year old weighs 291 and the 16 year old is 278). Their jaws dropped open when they saw me because I hadn't seen them in a very long time and they wanted to know how I did it, so I told them. I'm the only 'grandmother' they've ever known - they call me Aunt Kathy - and even though I don't get to see them often I feel we have a pretty good relationship.

They both told me they want to have WLS or LapBand. These girls have been obese their entire lives, unfortunately - their mother had gestastional (sp?) diabetes with both and both were BIG babies when they were born. I don't know if this has any medical relevance or not?

The 18 year old is suffering from blood clots in her legs (mostly due to her weight) and has been on medications for a couple of years.

I told them both I would sit down and talk to them about WLS and explain what all is involved - I'm not sure they understand the full impact of having this surgery.

But I also don't know if they could have the surgery at their age(s)? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that young. Maybe the 18 year old, but not sure about the 16 year old?

Can anybody shed light on this for me? Thanks - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 12/14/08 9:47 pm - Easton, PA
I have heard of teenagers having the surgery but not sure what a specific Dr would say about age. I think that Dr Brader said 18 and 50 pounds overweight for a lapband.

Best of luck with these 2 young girls. I wish that it was an option when I was there age.

Liz
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 10:13 pm - Easton, PA
From my understanding the only way for a 16 year old to have any type of WLS is to get into a "study" group or go "over the border" to Mexico or something like that and pay out of pocket.

I believe the 18 year old is able to after all the insurance crap.

I do whole heartedly believe that they would both benefit from you talking with them about the realities of this surgery.  I was considered "young" for this surgery at the age of 26 (a few weeks before my 27th bday) and I must admit...sometimes it is challenging.  And to go through their early 20s with partying and what not would open a whole lot more doors for ulcers...gastritis...making "poor" decisions which we all do anyway....let alone a younger person with less inhibitions.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
DebiMcK23
on 12/14/08 10:53 pm - Aston, PA
Hey Kathy,

I know AI Dupont has a program for Lap Band Surgery in teenagers.  My neighbors son had it done.  He was a bit older though, like 19, and I know they had been talking about it for a long time.  I think he was over 400 lbs...  It is so awesome to drive by and see him playing in the yard with his little sisters.  I know Beth, his mother said at his age, the doctor's at Dupont wouldn't consider the RyN for fear that he wouldn't be diligant about taking his vitamins, etc... 

I googled and found an article about it.  Might be a good place to start...

http://www.lapband-toronto.com/teens-turning-to-weight-loss- surgery.html

I had Gestational Diabetes with both my boys...  Craig was a big baby, but I was on insulin with Ben, so we were able to keep him "normal" sized.  I don't know if there is a connection because obesity and GD...  Both my boys are pretty darn skinny right now, but that might be because they NEVER sit down!

I looked at Dr. Brader's fact sheet and his age range is 18 to 65...
Dr. Boe at Barix shows an age range of 18 to 60...  didn't look up Dr. P, cause I couldn't spell her last name correctly.  LOL  It's Monday Morning. 

I definitely would insist that the girls go thru some counceling before having the surgery.  Support group meetings, etc.  Because it is a forever life changing experience!  I am 38, and I am still having trouble knowing when to stop when I go out for a few drinks...  I can't imagine being in college after having weight loss surgery. 

303/197/153

KFA3
on 12/15/08 12:40 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Like most of the replies before me have said the normal cut off it 18. However in cir****tances where the excess weight is life threatening, some surgeons will take the risk.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views