"I didn't recognize you. . ." more amazing moments

Laureen S.
on 12/14/08 12:25 am - Maple Shade, NJ
I posted this to my profile along with a few recent photos as a memory, but I had to share this with all of you. . .

Last night I went to my "sister from another mother" son's wedding.  It was a fabulous wedding and one of the things I am realizing is that food is not the main event in my life anymore, as between Thanksgiving and now this affair, I came to realize how I used to look forward to all the food choices that would be available to me and now I look and make very selective, healthy choices and enjoy what I eat, but a bite here and there satisfies my "lust" for food, which is no longer the biggest thing about attending such festivities, now it is the social aspect I enjoy, which brings me to the story of my title. . .

Jeanne and I have been best friend's for 21 years now, I know her family and most of her friends and on several occasions last night I got the impression that some people saying hello to me, did not recognize me. . .  well it was late in the evening and I went to get a cappuchino during the Vienese hour, when one of the guests came up to me and said, "I have to apologize to you, as I just realized who you were, you look fabulous, absolutely incredible, about 20 years younger and I honestly did not recognize you, asked my wife who is that sitting with Jeanne and Mike and when she told me, I nearly fell off my seat. . ."  it was so funny, as Rita (his wife had told me just a few moments earlier that her husband did not know who I was). . .  Then when people were starting to leave, Jeanne's SIL came to our table to say her goodbyes, she looked right at me and said, "I don't know you, but goodbye", to which I laughed and said, Gina, it's me, Laurie (a name my family and old friends call me). . .  well her jaw literally dropped and she was just floored, said she didn't believe how different I look and how wonderful it was to see me looking so great!  Oh and then the last bit of fun, Jeanne's husband Mike asked if I had had plastic surgery on my face, because he said he kept looking at me all night, thinking how much different my face looked, younger and so he thought sure I had somethng done, to which I laughed and replied, not yet, and shared my chicken neck story. . .  where upon visiting with my daughter at Thanksgiving, I was in her house all of 5 minutes and she said, Mom you look awesome, but you really have to do something about that Turkey neck of yours (lol), as my friend Anthony would say, apples and trees, but I think I have learned the art of tactfulness through my lifetime, something I'm beginning to think Marlene never will. . .

Thanks for reading and sharing in my journey!

Have a wonderful day!  Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Nicole0216
on 12/14/08 1:40 am - Lancaster, PA
such a wonderful post
thanks for sharing
DebiMcK23
on 12/14/08 2:15 am - Aston, PA
What a great story!!!  I have one too...
My father in law hadn't seen me in a while, and I was shopping at Giant and ran into him.  We chatted for a little while and then I heard him call his wife on the phone and he said, "I just ran into Gary's Debi and oh my god, she is f'ing hot..." He had only known me fat, so seeing me thinner was a huge shock...  It's an amazing feeling!

303/197/153

Shannon O.
on 12/14/08 8:58 am - Reading, PA
that is awesome... and so funny at the same time...

bubble273
on 12/14/08 9:42 am - Levittown, PA
Awesome, Laureen!!!!  I'm so glad you had so many wow moments in one day.  That's great!!!

Karen

dit657
on 12/14/08 9:22 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Great WOW moments, Laureen!! I know you had to be floating home from all that - I know we all do this for our health first and foremost, but the added benefits of looking and feeling so much better really just is the icing on the cake...glad you had a a great time, and you do look awesome!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
tammypa
on 12/14/08 9:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Laureen,
What a great night for you. 
Who would ever have thought that it would be nice for people to not recognize you.
Tammy
Pam Hart
on 12/14/08 10:17 pm - Easton, PA
Wow wow wow....to have sooooo many people not recognize you....it's unreal!! 

Congratulations on your hard work and wonderful journey and continuing to reap all the benefits, both physical and emotional!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 10:24 pm
Laureen
What an awesome WOW moment. It had to make you feel so good inside. Savior those moments and your pictures are amazing ou were looking so good.
HopefulFuture
on 12/15/08 4:51 am - Boston, MA
My Big Sis, 

The only thing that would have been better than reading your post would have been to be able to be there with you, watching your face as you realized how many people didn't recognize you!!!  I am so very proud of you and so truly happy for you and I'm thrilled that I can share your journey with you...even from Boston ;)  It is times like you had this past weekend that remind us what a wonderful, amazing experience all of this really is!!!  

Lots of love and tons of hugs, 
Your Little Sis :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views