B Vitamins and Neurological Issues

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/08 10:04 pm - PA
 Dear All:

First, thanks very much for all of the informative posts.  After three years of reading, hard decision-making and chats with my wife, I am now finally pursuing the Roux-en-Y surgery (now, less than 30 days a way). The weight of the decision (no pun intended) seems to be hitting home now as I read more about some of the potential side-effects of the surgery.  Clearly, the benefits of the surgery outweigh the long-term effects of morbid obesity, so my decision to pursue it hasn't changed.  

But, I am very curious to know if others have experienced any neurological problems (memory, cognition, etc) after surgery as a result of low B vitamin levels.  I've read that the liver stores a great deal of B vitamins (perhaps, one or two years of extra resources), so side effects may be delayed.  But, have any of you experienced any problems or notices any differences?  I read about the experiences of another person on Obesity Help that has experienced seizures -- but it seems difficult to attribute one person's experiences to the surgery.  Perhaps, she has a family history or predisposition?

Your comments are much appreciated,
Roger
bubble273
on 12/10/08 10:19 pm - Levittown, PA
Hi Roger,

I personally have not had any issues myself, though I do forget to take my vitamins now and again.  I have never taken the B vitamins, as my doctor never told me to. But I think I might start, because I don't think it hurts to take them anyway.  And I'm almost 14 months out now.

But my cousin who had RNY did have a vitamin deficiency and as a result was in the hospital and is very, very diligent about taking everything now.  Though, I think she does still have some residual effects in her legs.  Once something happens like vitamin deficiency I believe the effects are irreversible.

But you're right, the risks outweigh any of the side effects which actually can totally be avoided by good diligence and following the program.  Good luck with everything and keep us posted as to what's going on with you.

And remember, EVERYONE is different!!!

Karen

Liz R.
on 12/10/08 10:24 pm - Easton, PA
Roger - Vitamin deficiencies are something that are easily fixed - TAKE YOUR VITAMINS RELIGIOUSLY. I have had B12 and B1 issues in the past, mine were frighteningly low. I went for a while getting B12 and B1 shots and things seemed to have evened out, now I take the sublingual pills and a nasal spray once a week. I'll be getting bloodowork results back today and we'll see how I am doing!

This surgery is SO worth it! i am almost 2 years out and been doing OK with vitamins, you just have to supplement, minor inconvenience for a great "re-start" to life!

Best of LUck

Liz
Laureen S.
on 12/10/08 10:55 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Roger,

There are several people in my family who have had RNY, some as long as 6 years ago and the only people I've known to have neurological problems did not adhere to their regime of vitamins and regular follow-up with their bloodwork and such. 

This decision can be the best you ever make, but you have to remember that it involves certain rules that need to be followed for the rest of your life

Wishing you the best as you explore the options available.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 12/10/08 10:56 pm - Easton, PA
Hi Roger, welcome to the boards and congratulations on your decision.

I also have not experienced any problems with vitamin deficiencies.

The majority of the stories I have heard about people experiencing complications with vitamin deficiencies are those who *generally* are lax about taking their supplements.

My vitamin regimine includes:

2 Centrum vitamins a day (one in the morning, one at night)
b1 100mg by mouth daily
1000mcg b12 sublingual (under the tongue) a day
Calcium Citrate + D at least 750mg if not 1000mg a day.

Now...I did go through a time of just not taking my vitamins.  I had no adverse effects - but it was only for about a month or so until I realized what I could be doing to myself.

I do drop my b12 occassionally - basically because when my levels are to high I find I have horrible insomnia.  At my last blood work, I had stopped taking my b12 every day and was doing it about 3x a week due to that reason.  My level was at 500 (which is within normal range.  When I get to much in, my level is well over 1000)  The extra vitamins can't hurt you....but like I said, for me, there is a direct correlation between that and being able to sleep.  Which kind of makes sense because people who have had LOW b12 complain of extreme fatigue along with other issues.

Take your vitamins and you should have no problems.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/08 11:09 pm - PA
Wow! That was fast!  You are an impressive bunch.  I am breathing a bit easier now.  I am religious about taking medication, perhaps compulsive, so it is good to hear your comments about the importance of regular dosages and the absences of problems.  Although, I wouldn't have suspected that insomnia would be an issue.  Interesting.

Do other's have suggestions on brands of vitamins and dosages so that I might compare those of my doctor and discuss them with him.

-roger
jackie j
on 12/11/08 4:29 am - Glenmoore, PA
I'm actually in this boat at the moment.  I have been experiencing cognitive issues, memory lapses, lethargy, panic and anxiety attacks and depression.  I have also had a heck of a year so some of that depression is warranted but might have been exacerbated by low B-12 and fertility drugs I was taking.   I've noted some aggressive issues and just overall attitude changes, but then I've gained weight back this year so I think I'm just pissed.   I did take my vites as directed but I am almost 3 years out and yes, the B's can leach out of your system, especially if they are being called upon to fight stresses so maybe I just bottomed out.   I've been put on the nasal spray and I'm seeing some changes.   I was also told that Splenda can affect some folks wrongly and cause short term memory lapses and anxiety and I was a Splenda ***** so I've cut that out.   This surgery is a fabulous, wonderful thing but there is strict adherence necessary to the program and then there's what you, individually, need.  You'll find your way to that.  It is not a cure-all, just a tool.   It gives you a leg up to get the weight off, but believe me, you have to work to keep it off.   It is a life change, but a good one....and a wild and adventurous ride....buckle up!

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/08 2:11 pm - PA
 Thanks Jackie.  I'll be sure to stay on top of the B vitamins and have routine blood work done after my surgery.  Do take care, roger
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views