Lap-Band First Fill Question

DianeMarie
on 12/10/08 4:41 am - Delmont, PA
Smileycons!
Hi!  I had my lap band surgery November 5th and everything went well.  Expecially the weight loss in the first few weeks.  I dropped 20lbs after surgery and a combined total of 40lbs from when I started the supervised diet to start the insurance qualifications.  I saw my surgeon two weeks post op and I noticed at that point I was starting to get hungry.  I was told to eat what ever I wanted so they could see how much of a fill I would need when I returned in 4 weeks.  I thought.. are you crazy? I'll gain weight.   Well my appointment is next Friday and I can't wait.  I havent gained any weight but I haven't lost any either.  I'm frustrated and I'm hungry and I know that I'm eating too much.  Will getting my fill help with this?  Will I go back to not being hungry if I get enough of a fill?

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Liz R.
on 12/10/08 4:57 am - Easton, PA
Diane - I don't have a band but from what I understand it will not make you NOT feel hungry but you will get fuller more quickly. Hopefully one of our "bander" maybe Beth will jump in and give you a better answer.
Congrats on teh 20 pounds!!! I can't believe you are over a month out already!

Liz
DianeMarie
on 12/10/08 5:00 am - Delmont, PA
Thanks Liz,

I wasnt hungry at all at first.  When you have your sugery they dont pu****er in the band because you are swollen from surgery.  At that point I never felt hunger.  As the swelling went away I got hungry.  I'm hoping once they fill it I feel like I did after surgery when I was still swollen.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Liz R.
on 12/10/08 5:03 am - Easton, PA
That would be great! I wasn't hungry for about the first 7 months - then unfortunately it came back... sometimes I wish I could go back to that period! Now unfortunately hunger and grazing have invaded!

Liz
bethmal
on 12/10/08 5:41 am
RNY on 12/26/17
Hi Diane - I bet you can't wait for your first fill.  I remember mine like it was yesterday.  I don't know how your doctor does fills.  Dr. Brader fills slowly until you reach good restriction, however, my cousin's doctor fills her, does a swallow test and takes some out until she feels comfortable.  It may take several fills until you get really good restriction.  If you eat solid protein and veggies first then maybe a few bites of carbs you shouldn't be hungry for several hours in between meals.  If you are truly feeling hunger in between meals (and you are eating solid foods not liquids) then you might need another fill.  It is an individual thing - the amount of saline I have in my band may be too much or not enough for your band.  Don't fall into the amount-in-my-band syndrome... it will drive you crazy.  Just work on getting restriction slowly.  Between each fill take the time to learn the right way to eat.  Everytime you get a fill you will feel it a little more and you will have to relearn how to eat.  I do hope this helps.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views