WooHoo! I joined a gym!

finding_40_fabulous
on 12/9/08 8:54 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Good evening, Everyone!

I just had to write in to share my excitement!  I just joined a gym and had my first every workout!  And the best part is...it felt so good!  I actually didn't want to stop, but had some time constraints today.  The only time I've ever been inside a gym (other than shopping for this one) was probably about 10 years ago.  I'd joined a ladies only gym just for the aerobics.  When they changed the class on me, I quit.

Well, this is a new me!  I'm only on my first month of "medically supervised dieting" but I'm committed to making myself healthier!  My appointment with my WLS was very nice, he answered all my questions and seemed encouraging.  I met then with the NUT and then with the person in charge of billing, pre-surgery testing & insurance stuff. 

It was so funny...I have no "workout clothes" just an old pair of sweatpants (probably from the Ladies only gym??) and I borrowed my 7 year-old's am/fm old walkman radio with the big foamy headset.  I felt ridiculous walking in, then the radio didn't work at all!  Oh well!  I watched the closed caption on the televisions and people-watched.  I think I'll be shopping this weekend for an mp3 or Ipod.  Any suggestions???

Oh, and is it an unwritten rule that people working out do not smile or talk to each other at all?  I didn't break the rule, jus****ched with an inner smirk at the seriousness of this activity. 

Anyway...thanks for letting me share.  It was an exciting day!
Pat

Pam Hart
on 12/9/08 4:22 pm - Easton, PA
I love my ipod.  I have an actual ipod that hubby got me.  I'm sure there are less expensive regular mp3 players that work just as well.  The only advice I have is to get an arm holder for whatever kind you buy - I find it much easier to keep it strapped to my arm instead of trying to find a convenient place for it on whatever machine I am working on.

Congrats, by the way, on joining the gym

You could ask Santa for some snazzy work out clothes and for the afore mentioned mp3 player perhaps. 

As far as the rule...I used to smile...and when walking towards the work out area or out of the work out area if I passed someone I would nod and say hello - but I never spoke to anyone while on the machines.  Nobody ever spoke to me.  I'm not sure if there's a steadfast rule or if people are just trying to breathe

Keep it fun!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 9:24 pm
I swore I answered this post yesterday!  I guess not LOL

Congratulations on joining the gym!!  Good for you!

I don't talk to anyone at the gym...it's my time...I talk to people all day...I don't want to talk to people there LOL...and as pam said...I am more concerned with getting oxygen into my body than making nice with some sweaty stranger

HG
Pam Hart
on 12/10/08 2:22 am - Easton, PA
There ya go talking to yourself again and believing it was a real conversation with others....
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/08 11:47 am
at least when I talk to myself, I know the conversation is going to be GREAT!
R K.
on 12/9/08 11:14 pm
WTG that`s a great step. Now you have to make it part of your routine. I wish up here we had some decent choices for gyms. Pam I used to live in the valley and put what was the Nautilus in the Northwood Tennis Club back in 80.  Now there are tons of choices in the valley.
Dennis Belk
on 12/10/08 10:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Pat,
Congrats on the move to the gym. It will help with the supervised diet. There are a lot of mp3, ipod choices around. I use the ipod shuffle, it's small, cheap ($50) and clips on to things. It holds 240 songs but you will need to download the apple program to your computer to make a playlist on the shuffle. It's small so it doesn't have any displays to see your playlist. You see it when you plug into your computer. There are plenty more expensive types that provide a display for music and videos. There is no unwrittten rule at the gym but folks tend not to interfere with another's workout. A short greeting or ackowledgement is fine and I would encourage it. Especially for those you see frequently. It also helps you to not feel as self-conscious. Most are there to improve so there is a healthy bond among regulars. Become a regular, you'll never regret it.

Dennis
HopefulFuture
on 12/11/08 11:20 am - Boston, MA
Way to go, Pat!!!  You have taken an excellent first and second step!  And in my opinion, walking into the gym that first time is one of the hardest parts.  If you start getting your body accustomed to any sort of exercise now, just think how much healthier your body will be for your surgery, for your recovery AND for allowing you to do more and more exercise as the bulk of your weight comes off.  Seriously, great job!!!  And great, positive outlook on the whole experience!  Keep it up!!!

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views