need a little motivation

djamison
on 12/7/08 1:32 am - Ephrata, PA

My surgeon requires us to lose 10 lbs before he will submit to insurance. I have been trying for 3 months now and I have only lost 5. It is so discouraging. I go down a lb then up 2 then down 2 then up 1. I want this so bad but I feel like maybe if I can't even lose 10 lbs I shouldn't have the surgery. I just need some support from people who know what I am going through!

ellie443
on 12/7/08 2:01 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I just started this journey a few months ago.  I know how hard it is to lose the wait and to gain some of it back again?   Are you walking?    What are you eating?

I wish the best of luck to you and your new journey

ellen
Pam Hart
on 12/7/08 2:08 am - Easton, PA
The fact that you are having trouble losing the 10 pounds is in and of itself reason to have the surgery, not to second guess it.

As far as what to do..watch the sodium intake.  Things like packaged meals, soups, broths, canned veggies etc have TONS of salt in them.  Cut out the salt, you tend to lose weight.  Also thinks like diet soda have hidden salts in them.

Speaking of which, switch as much as possible to water.  You'll need to after surgery anyway...so get used to it now.  It will also help flush stuff out of your system, so that will help with weight loss.

And for me, personally, pre and post surgery, my weight loss is directly related to carbs.  I gained quickly (and still "gain" a pound or two) with almost any amounts of carbs in my diet.  It sucks but try to cut out crackers, pasta, rice, bread, corn, potatoes anything with refined carbs in them and try to get the bulk of your carbs from natural sources like yogurts and dairy.  Eat protein first, then veggies, and lastly those oh so yummy tasting but nutritionally useless refined carbs if any.

Hang in there, you will definately get there!

And I noticed your doctor is Dr. Brader, who has a HUGE following on this board.  I had the pleasure of meeting him last spring, and although he was not my surgeon...he is a wonderful man and has a great team working for him!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
djamison
on 12/7/08 2:35 am - Ephrata, PA
Thank you! I have been eating A fruit and nut bagel with a tiny bit of light cream cheese in the morning..homemade veg soup or salad for lunch..an apple and piece of light cheese for snack and a regular dinner with protein, veggie and carb usually a small potato or whole grain rice. Maybe I should cut out carb at dinner and drink more water..I think I do great during the week then on the weekend it gets tough! Especially thru this time of year and ESPECIALLY close to my time of the month..

I have been walking but since this cold weather has arrived it has made it difficult...I will just keep trying and pray surgery will come soon!

Thanks again!
Shannon O.
on 12/7/08 3:57 am - Reading, PA
I would cut out the bagel... they tend to be very high in sugar which means then very high in carbs... you won't be able to eat them anyways after surgery so ditch them now...

Another idea (Pam's ideas are great btw)... is do protein shakes for Breakfast and Lunch... it will help you flush out some extra stuff in your system but also get you ready for surgery... I started this about 2 weeks before my PATs and lost 5 pounds... i had a normal snack and dinner...

Also step up your cardio... not sure what you can and can't do... but if all you can do is walk... then just walk a little farther each day... I know that is easier said then done... but Dr. Brader is worth it... so hang in there!

HopefulFuture
on 12/9/08 6:00 am - Boston, MA
Pam and the others have already given you excellent advice and there isn't really much I can add.  Just wanted to offer my support and to let you know we are here for you.  I know all too well where you are coming from and it's so, so hard and frustrating.  Try not to get discouraged.  Keep the big picture in mind and you will get there!  

Lisa :)  

djamison
on 12/10/08 11:02 pm - Ephrata, PA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views