Update on Nicole

Pam Hart
on 12/6/08 1:08 pm - Easton, PA
I spoke with Nicole's wonderful boyfriend Jason who is just the most caring person in the world at about 9:15 tonight.

Nicole had a very rough day and was battling nausea, vomiting, and vertigo (severe dizziness) like symptoms.  She seemed to be in a pattern most of the day of being in pain, receiving morphine, becoming itchy (a common side effect of morphine), falling asleep for a few hours and then 3 hours later developing dry heaving and vomiting. 

Mid afternoon they switched her from the morphine to lortab (liquid vicodin) which seemed to be doing better, but she was still pretty miserable.  She had initially been scheduled for discharge in the morning....but due to all of this hadn't been.  She was also having some problems with mobility and what not due to pain and dizziness (the only way the room would stop spinning was if she would close her eyes)

From what I understand due to insurance issues and the fact that since switching the meds she was doing a *little* better, they were talking discharge at 10pm tonight.  Which I find ridiculous...but I won't get on my soap box about that.  She also needs dressing changes and they gave Jason a bag of supplies and said "well, you guys can do this yourselves" or something to that effect.

Jason was very worried and concerned.  I will be going to their hotel (or the hospital if the discharge did not go through) in the morning.  If she's in the hotel I will do the dressing change for her and play nurse...Brian is coming with me...and we will try to help Jason through this as well.  He's also concerned about getting her in and out of the car...so we'll see how all of that goes.

They are chalking the nausea and what not up to post anesthesia which as we all know can play havock on you, plus the morphine.  Apparantly during the procedure she had some problems with bleeding and what not and ended up being under anesthesia for over 7 hours.  It was over 8 1/2 hours from time of surgery before Jason was able to even see her.  The worst effects of anesthesia can last 24-48 hours, but can take much longer than that to completely subside.  Hopefully the morning which will be about 48 hours after surgery, will find her feeling much better.

So, continue to pray for her and Jason.  She is by no means critical from what I understand, but could definately use some positive vibes and good thoughts from all of our friends here.  Poor Jason....he feels "helpless".  I told him that in this situation the fact that he is there with her supporting her morally is probably one of the biggest helps that Nicole needs.  I'm sure it means more to her than he will ever know.

I will be sure to post more tomorrow when I have info.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lauraanne715
on 12/6/08 5:26 pm - Pottstown, PA
Oh boy!! Poor Nicole right now!  You are a great friend Pam--please let her know she is my thoughts and my prayers and she will get through this and then she will look fabulous!!  I hope today is better for her. 

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Patti M.
on 12/6/08 8:59 pm
Send Nicole & Jason our love!  We will be sure to continue sending up many positive thoughts and prayers that she starts feeling better soon.
Patti      
New_Beginnings_36
on 12/6/08 10:56 pm - PA
Pam - {{hugs}} to Nicole. I hope everything is better today for her. Sending good vibes and positive thoughts...Please give her my best.

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/08 11:57 pm
Pam

Thank you for the update on Nicole and going to help take care of her. When you get a chance please keep us updated and I will continue to send Nicole my thoughts and prayers.
Dennis Belk
on 12/7/08 12:18 am, edited 12/7/08 12:19 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks so much Pam for the updates and being there for our friends. I can't believe the BS she and Jason had to go through with that staff at that time. I've got to wonder why she didn't get what was asked by her surgeon and what will happen as a result. You know the patient needs help, HELP HER!

ladychief231
on 12/7/08 1:41 am - Douglassville, PA
Pam,

Your a good friend. Tell NIcole we're all thinking about her and hoping she bpounces back quickly.

Hugs,
Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Liz R.
on 12/7/08 7:41 pm - Easton, PA
Pam - thanks for the update - I sure do hope that since you posted this she is feeling better. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do also! Send Jason and Nicole my love and prayers and positive thoughts are headed outward

Liz
HopefulFuture
on 12/9/08 3:44 am - Boston, MA
Pam you are wonderful.  Thank you so much for going to visit with Nicole and Jason and for being willing to play nurse for her and for updating all of us.  I am a few days behind in the posts, so I am hoping that by the time I get to a more recent post, I will see that Nicole is feeling much better than she was over the weekend.  

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views