NURSES I NEED HELP WITH Augmentin--Possible Sinus Infection

Dolores O.
on 12/5/08 9:16 am
Question.
I think Augmentin is one of the ALLOWABLE antibiotics we can take...however I just want to know will I have any side effects?

My doc prescribed Augmentin for me today and I'm not sure if I want to take it since I dont know what it will do to Oscar (The Pouch).

Any nurses know?  Or anyone else have antibiotics after surgery?

Dolores~

Pam Hart
on 12/5/08 9:37 am - Easton, PA
Antibiotics, in general, are safe for us.

Augmentin, as a rule - can cause some stomach upset.  For me, before surgery...my tummy did not do well with it.....nausea.

That being said - take it with some food and see how you do.  If you need antibiotics so this doesn't get any worse, by all means, take them.  I have been on a few antibiotics since surgery...and haven't had a problem.  The one I was most concerned about was Zithromax. I was concerned because you take the pills for 5 days....but it supposedly stays in your system for something like 8-10 days.  I was concerned because I thought maybe with our decreased absorption, it wouldn't be absorbed and stay in me like it was supposed to.  I don't know for sure that it DID stay with me....but I do know the infection cleared, so I guess it stayed in long enough.

Feel better!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dolores O.
on 12/5/08 9:45 am
I was hoping you would answer Pam!  HIYA HIYA!
I will take it tonight then.

The doctor is not 100% sure its a sinus infection since I've had this headache for 2 wks...she tried to get me a CAT Scan, but the company who handled my COBRA when I left my last job never cancelled my policy (even though I haven't paid it since September) and I have that old insurance and my new Aetna insurance.  So they wouldn't schedule or precertify me.

So the hospital wouldn't schedule me for the CAT scan even though its a major concern it could possibly be a clot (since she read knows my EXTENSIVE PE, and repeated blood clot issues in my right leg). 

So I will be a praying fool all weekend.  I have a Greenfield filter so I doubt really much it's an aneurysm...but you never know.

Ok, I will make sure I take it with some jello or something....I will schedule the CAT SCAN as soon as Monday or Tuesday.  Should I advised Dr. P of this Tuesday when I go to see her?

Dolores~

Pam Hart
on 12/5/08 9:53 am - Easton, PA
You can mention it to her if you want to...I don't think it's an absolute need to...but I end up telling her just about everything when I go...I just love her to pieces!!

Oh - and the whole headache thing and clot....Considering it's been two weeks..I think the clot idea is probably not a huge concern (easier said than done, I understand) considering that something like that probably would have become more serious by now.  Not that there aren't other options to what i ccould be.....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views