my son/stress

Michelle U.
on 12/4/08 10:30 am - Corning, NY
Hi everyone,

My 14 yr old son has mental health problems.  Last night he had a break down and attempted to kill himself.  I found him and stopped him by putting him into a physical restraint for 45 minutes until my husband came home from work and was able to call 911.  He was transported via police to the hospital.  I was there from 7pm last night until 2:30am when they told me he would be transferred to a adolescent psychiatric center at 6am.  I came home and slept for about an hour.  Went back and followed the transport to the hospital an hour away...stayed there until 1pm meeting with the dr and therapist.  I am so drained and stressed.  And I feel like the most horrible mom in the world.  He will be there until at least monday.  My husband is the most non supportive person I have ever met in my life.  Thank GOD for my friends!!!  They came to the hospital to support me and they called all day long...he never called once.  That is a whole other story though. 

Anyhow, I post this because this is a huge stressor on me right now and I am so proud I have not gone off my eating plan!!  I had a couple combos last night but that is it...still getting my water in.  Whew...at least there is one thing right now in my life that I do have control over.

If you pray could you say one for my son..his name is Luke.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Michelle
Live, Love, Laugh!!
Patricia R.
on 12/4/08 10:38 am - Perry, MI
Michelle,
I hear your pain, and empathize with you.  When my sons were teens, they had some troubles, and it is heart wrenching.  I want to encourage you with some thoughts.  I work part time in a psychiatric hospital, and can tell you that your son is in a safer place now, and hopefully will be stablized in a day or two with the proper medication.  I can also tell you that your son's mental health is not your fault.  Many adolescents have trouble coping with life, and struggle to express their need for help.  Hopefully, now, he will learn to ask for help, and not resort to self-harm, or suicide to get it.

The best thing you can do for your son right now is to take care of your physical and emotional health as well.  Obviously, you cannot expect any support from your husband, so lean on the people you can depend on.  Rest and nutrition are vital for you at this time.

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Michelle U.
on 12/4/08 10:52 am - Corning, NY
Thanks Trish for that.  The one piece I did not add is that I am a mental health professional.  I have relationships with the therapist and dr and a couple nurses for when I had clients in-patient...total diffrent when you are on the recieving end of it!

With your advise Trish I will take my ambien and attempt to get a full nights sleep.

And thanks for the hugs...I need those!
Live, Love, Laugh!!
Patricia R.
on 12/4/08 11:01 am - Perry, MI
Michelle,
I totally understand your initial embarassment with the therapists and others at the hospital, given your professional relationship with them from previous contacts with them.  But, we in the business, are not immune from life issues, including family members who have mental health problems themselves.  Would you look down on a colleague if their child needed help?  I doubt it.  But, I do understand where you are coming from.  Be gentle on yourself and things will most likely look better in the morning after you get a good night's sleep.

Hugs again,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

bubble273
on 12/4/08 10:57 am - Levittown, PA
Michelle,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  Mental illness is no joke.  And it pains me when I hear about mental illness in young children and adolescents.  It's scary and very stressful.  Stay strong and you will be fine.  It's great that you're staying on point with your eating.  Stress is a major factor for emotional eating.  So hang in there.  And if you need anything, don't hesitate to post.  Take care and I hope that your son will be okay and will find the strength to overcome whatever it is that he is dealing with.  You both will be in my prayers.

Karen

Michelle U.
on 12/4/08 4:42 pm - Corning, NY
Thank you Karen.

Michelle
Live, Love, Laugh!!
Nicole0216
on 12/4/08 11:29 am - Lancaster, PA
I am sorry about your son. You and he will be in my prayers
Dennis Belk
on 12/4/08 12:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Michelle,
Life can certainly be tough at times and the challenges are all around us. I'm glad to hear that Luke is in care and that you were able to find the support that is so necessary during this time. I have a daughter, Elisa, who is bipolar and she recently returned home after more than a month in a Philadelphia facility. She's been home a few weeks and is making her way back. Coming to this board and sharing the story is one of the best forms of therapy we have. I shared my story of Elisa back in early October and got the support I needed and more. My daughter is so aware of my WLS family because they are her family too. She thanks Everyone for their support during her difficult time and looks forward to a time soon when she will be right by my side during our many gatherings.

We share your pain and concern Michelle, but as Trish said, it's not your fault. I know how helpless you can feel during this time, but do your best to provide and not cave. This means taking care of yourself too. I don't have any excuse for your spouse other than the distance keeping him from feeling the helplessness. If that is the case, he may eventually feel all of this at once and that won't be a pretty sight either. Do your best Michelle and be there for Luke. Your family are in my prayers.

Dennis
Michelle U.
on 12/4/08 4:46 pm - Corning, NY
Thanks Dennis,

Im happy to hear your daughter is home now! 

I think I forgot to share that my job did not work out in Pittsburgh and the kids and I came back to NY in August.  So my husband is right here in the same house with us and still isnt supportive...makes it difficult.

Im off Friday so I think Im going to go to the YMCA and get a family membership...I think it will help Luke and I know it will help me.

Thanks Dennis,

Michelle
Live, Love, Laugh!!
ellie443
on 12/4/08 7:18 pm - Pittsburgh, PA

First of all Michelle, you are not the world's most horrible mom.  You are doing the best you can do for your son.  He is now in a safe place and I rrecommend that this is the time for you to take care of yourself.  Do something really nice just for you this weekend.

I have been in your shoes since the time my 34 year old some was 14, his problem is addiction. and all the garbage that goes along with that.  My ex did not support me at all during that time. I joined a local support group and those all the ones that got me through that time of my life.

If you ever need to talk PM me

Sending you lots of hugs

ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views