Stevia: any thoughts or experiences??

GD_007
on 12/3/08 3:10 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey everyone,

Has anyone used sweetners made from Stevia?  A couple products would be Sweetleaf, Truvia or PureVia.  Any "issues" with it, from a GBP standpoint?

http://www.stevia.com/

http://www.startribune.com/business/35345914.html?elr=KArks: DCiU1OiP:DiiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

-GD
Shannon O.
on 12/3/08 3:18 am - Reading, PA
I haven't used in the last few years... I tired using it a few years ago and had the worse time cooking with it... you have to completely redo all recipes... completely... and it just became nothing more than a huge headache! It is very very very sweet... and around here it costs a lot.. but since a little goes a long way... it kind of even outs... unless you are trying to cook with it lol... I had to toss a lot of stuff... hehehehehehe... I know a lot of people iwth type 1 that use it... and love it...

Liz R.
on 12/3/08 3:29 am - Easton, PA
I grew it year before last in my garden and would toss the leaves in ice tea - I'm with Shannon though, didn't work for cooking so I don't buy it. I should try it again since it is more natural then splenda for my occasional ice tea
GD_007
on 12/3/08 4:29 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Where did you get the seeds/plant to grown in the garden??
-GD
Liz R.
on 12/3/08 4:33 am - Easton, PA
Where else does one go to get the strangest of things? E-BAY! lol  I ordered live plants. I did also see them at my local Home Depot last spring too. They are nice little plants - kind of look like a small mint leaf.

Liz
Nicole0216
on 12/3/08 8:45 am - Lancaster, PA
I buy the new naturals new stevia. I use it in coffee and tea. I am trying to reduce the splenda. You cannot cook well with it, but it is good to use in drinks
J. M.
on 12/3/08 11:21 am
No- I have not, but did you see it on the news? is this the thing they were sayinig might not be FDA approved becuase they arent sure if it is safe with processed foods? that sh*t scares me a little.  i try to stay away from the sweeteners (eventhough that i natural).

then again, everything these days is dangerous. i re-routed my anatomy for pete's sake. LOL

~ Jen   

tammypa
on 12/3/08 9:33 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Greg,
I tried the Truvia samples that I got from the OH event in Conshohocken. I used in my coffee and
LOVED it. I heard the same thing eveyone is saying - not great to cook with. It is pricier than Splenda, but I think it is worth the cost.
Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views