Dumb Question??

bethmal
on 12/2/08 3:48 am
RNY on 12/26/17
Hi all of you PA'ers - I have a quick question.  I have a wicked bad cold that I have been fighting since Saturday.  My band has been super tight because of all the yucky drainage (sorry about being gross.) Anyway, I went to the gym last night and actually rode the bike and ran.  I plan on going back tonight.  I was wondering (and this may be a dumb question) but is it OK to exercise when you have a cold or you're sick?  I am sure it isn't good for the others working out to breath in my germs!  

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/08 3:57 am - Eastern, PA
The only thing I've ever noticed if I worked out while I had a cold was that I ended up being a little more tired when I was done.

However, if you find your cold isn't going away as it normally would, you may want to take a few days off.

Thanks for the awesome drainage story, by the way.

I have a gross story to share as well. I've had two protein drinks, a generous helping of ricotta cheese, and a big piece of quiche to eat today. Given all the protein in my system, there's at least a 50% chance that Mary and the cat won't survive the night one my "digestion" kicks in.
keri2008
on 12/2/08 9:17 am - PA
Wow.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I should send my dogs over.  They were unreal tonight.
Shannon O.
on 12/2/08 3:58 am - Reading, PA
i have a sinus infection and my doctor told me no so that my body could heal... but if you are on the upswing... I don't see why not... but if you still feel crappy then I wouldn't... because you also don't want to spread it either...

Pam Hart
on 12/2/08 8:54 am - Easton, PA
It really depends on how you feel.

Over the summer I had a bad chest cold which turned into a bit of bronchitis.  However, with the exception of being a little bit more tired than normal, I felt physically fine.  I actually did MORE cardiac work at that point (like running) because (and talk about being gross) it made me breathe heavier and deeper...causing me to cough...causing me to get the junk out of my lungs.  (I should mention I did a lot of this outside....because horking up mucous in the gym is just nasty)

However...this past weekend I came down with a cold and felt physically miserable.  It was all I could do to lay on the couch for most of the weekend.  Did I work out?  Not at all.

Feel better, and listen to what your body needs.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 1:57 am
ok..i just gagged on my sushi LOL  Thanks for sharing LOL
bethmal
on 12/2/08 9:55 am
RNY on 12/26/17
Thanks everyone - I went to the drugstore after work and bought Mucinex and a vaporizor.  I have been on the sofa resting ever since!

Norm - I really hope Mary has made it through the night!

Shannon - I am definitely not on the downside of this cold, wish I was

Pam - I remember at the 5K you weren't feeling well - thanks for the graphic explanation.

Have a good night everyone.

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 1:58 am
Love the new pic!  I hope you are feeling better today.  I swear by airborne...if you can handle the carbonation. 

HG
bethmal
on 12/3/08 7:27 am, edited 12/3/08 7:27 am
RNY on 12/26/17
Hi Heather!  Carbonation nearly kills me!  Will it work if I let it go a little flat?  If I ever drink soda I have to let it go flat before I can even attempt it.  Oh and thanks about the picture - I was goofing around with my photo booth on my macbook... kinda fun!

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 11:43 am
Yes, you can let it go flat and it will still be fine. 

How do you like the macbook?  Someone at work said I should try one the next time I am shopping for a laptop.  I got the problems fixed after 5 hours with HP tech support last night and another 3 hours with comcast tonight.....hopefully this will hold me for a few more years.

HG 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views