I got a date!

KFA3
on 12/1/08 1:55 am - Pittsburgh, PA
So, I got my date(12/22/08) for surgery last Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It seems to have finally hit me now that it's going to happen and I'm freaking out and almost second guessing my decision. I have two main issues of contention that are killing me. The first is that I love to eat. ALOT! I love fine dining, dives, ethnic foods, you name it. Food is such a huge part of my life that I feel as though each meal since then I've been mourning a friend whom I know is about to die. My second greatest concern is that I'm a full time student in Pittsburgh and my surgeon is located outside of Philly. I had to do it this way so my health insurance would fully cover the procedure. So, what if something goes wrong, and I'm back at school? What then?

I know the benefits far outweigh the negatives, but how did any of you all overcome concerns that you had prior to going under the knife?
GD_007
on 12/1/08 2:25 am - Drexel Hill, PA
If you've got Dr.P (looks like you do) You have one of the BEST surgeons in the COUNTRY - period.  Have no worries & good luck!
-GD
ellie443
on 12/1/08 3:09 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Best of luck to  you on your upcoming surgery.

ellen
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/08 3:18 am
I think that we all love food that is why we got ot where we were...You be able to enjoy food just not in volume. You find you will eat to live rather then live to eat and things you will gain out weigh any food taste.

As for being far away Dr. P is available pretty much 24/7 via phone she answers or retruns calls ASAP. You are in great hands with her and she will never fail you.

Good luck...
LadyJwb
on 12/1/08 4:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deeg
on 12/1/08 7:23 pm - Quakertown, PA
CONGRATS!!  You won't regret this decision one bit!  I know that I didn't!  And everyone is right in saying that Dr. P. is the best surgeon in the world!  She is there for you 24/7, anytime you need her!  Good luck and speedy recovery!

Dee

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/08 9:06 pm
Congratulations!! 
HopefulFuture
on 12/3/08 4:51 am - Boston, MA
First off, congratulations on getting your date!!!  How very exciting!!!

Next, if there's anyone who can relate to your fear about being in school and being far from Dr. Pupkova, it's me!  At the time of my surgery, I was in law school...and I live all the way in Boston!  Believe me, this was a HUGE concern for my family.  They all had millions of "what ifs" and pleaded with me to consider one of the many excellent hospitals in Boston or in New York (where they live).  However, I loved Dr. Pupkova and Barix so much, that nothing was going to change my mind.  This is not to say that complications can't happen.  They can.  But the chance of something serious happening is pretty slim compared to the chance that everything will be fine.  After your surgery, Dr. Pupkova will only be a phone call away and she will want you to call if you have ANY concerns -- as it turns out, most issues that come up can actually be handled over the phone.  After speaking with Dr. Pupkova about the importance of follow-up care, I decided I was going to return to PA for each of my follow-up appointments (2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months and I'm actually seeing her this Friday for a 15 month appointment).  You have to decide whether this will be possible for you.  I suppose you can opt to see someone else for your follow-up care after your surgery, but personally, I would suggest staying with Dr. Pupkova.

As for your other concern, I'm sure most of us on here can relate to the issue of loving food and loving eating.  Personally for me, that hasn't gone away.  I still love food and I still love to eat, but I do it so differently now.  I enjoy things in much smaller portions and much healthier versions, and truthfully, that's ok.  It's better than ok.  All of the many positives have certainly outweighed any negatives. 

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Lisa :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views