OT I'm just complaining...don't mind me

Pam Hart
on 11/28/08 9:24 am - Easton, PA
So what I thought was weird allergy like things is definately not....definately a cold heading into bronchitis if it keeps traveling south....and I feel like crap.  Have since last night.

Dragged my butt, freezing, to work today.  Got put with a preceptor who I have worked with before who is a jerk.  He knows I'm an experienced nurse and insists upon asking me stupid arse questions like "Do you know how to take a blood pressure without a machine?"  Uh, yea jackass I do.

It was a zoo!  Well actually - from 7-11 we were decent...but then the flood gates opened up.  A little background info...the finance department is pretty strict at work.  Orientees CANNOT have any overtime, and they MUST take their breaks (otherwise they must pay you OT) or leave early.

I kept trying to get to break today - but it just wasn't happening.  I had a sick ICU patient who needed a lot of work...and then a seemingly nothing case which turned into rule out heart attack based on labs....so it was 2:15  My preceptor and I figured it didn't make any sense (seeing as though my two patients had been transported upstairs) for me to take a 1/2 hour break, come back at 2:45 and then attempt to be productive for 15 minutes.  So I tell the charge nurse...we had figured I would just leave at 2:30.  She says no...I have to take my break.  So I didn't argue (although I felt it was a stupid move) and went into the back and took my break.

She follows me into the back (now mind you, because of all the different orientees some experienced, some not...I had explained to her my background and who I was)  She proceeds to tell me "You have to understand...you work in an ER now.  And sometimes, the ER gets busy and there are times you don't get a break and you will have to learn to deal with this or not work in an er"  So I put down my yogurt and tell her "I already told you - I'm an experienced nurse with 5 years ER experience with a much higher patient to staff ratio than this facility.  I understand not getting a break.  In fact, in my old facility, we were NOT entitled to a break" (we left at 7am instead of the traditional 7:30 am)  "What YOU have to understand is that I am on orientation and based on YOUR facilities policies and procedures I MUST take a break while on orientation or leave early because the hospital won't pay me"  So she just blinks and said "I just want you to understand where you are working.  You can't abandon your patients...you can lose your license"  What the frig?  I wasn't abandoning ANYONE (which is a SERIOUS allegation against a nurse)  So of course...now I'm fuming and said "in order to be charged with abandonment you must first be given an assignment of patients to take.  I have not been given an assignment based on my orientation status.  It's impossible to abandon something not in your possession"

She then proceeds to PAT ME ON THE HEAD as if I'm 2 and say "I just hope you understand what an ER does"  HELLOOOOOOO  I told you about 3 times in the past 15 minutes I have worked in an ER for the past 5 years.  I am WELL aware of what an ER does.

So I had a preceptor AND a charge nurse *****fused to look at me as a nurse today...I feel like crap....hubby is moaning cause he hates the smell of vics (and admittedly I am covered in it at the moment) the cats are tearing each other to pieces tonight...Easton is having a downtown holiday thing (the town looks great, by the way) and it took me forever to get home due to all the circle traffic in the area...and I'm just whining.  Oh - and also with work I now aparantly have two schedules starting on December 14th.  One I am still on orientation...the other one I am not.  And they are conflicting and have me working and off on totally different nights...so I have no idea when I'm actually supposed to show up.

I can't wait to go to bed!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
bubble273
on 11/28/08 9:44 am - Levittown, PA
Go ahead and whine all you want, Pam!!!  People are such dumb asses sometimes, aren't they??  They just don't get it.  You can talk to some people until they're blue in the face and they still won't get it!!  Take a few deep breaths and relax.  It will all be okay.  But keep whining if you want to...you're entitled!!

Karen

MsDeniseinPA
on 11/28/08 9:52 am - PA
being sick and dealing with those two would make anyone whiny...

hopefully things will get better there soon.

Jackie W.
on 11/28/08 10:43 am

Whine away Pam!!!  It sucks when you are sick!  It sucks even more to be sick and work with Stupid People!!!! 

Feel better and ask around for the back roads!  It will make your commute much easier!!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/08 11:45 am - Breinigsville , PA
Pam,
     I soooooooo understand your lament! I myself have been in very similar situations in that particular program. It's great you do not allow yourself to be intimidated, have a strong sense of self,  and confidence in your abilities/skills. I tend to avoid " toxic" people like the plague and generally will not interact with them unless absoloutely necessary. Negativity can permeate you. People that try to belittle you have their own issues- You have accomplished so much and are an inspiration to so many. Just stay away from the "toxic" and stick with those that support you. Hope you feel better soon!! Hope to meet you someday!
Mich 
Patricia R.
on 11/28/08 1:33 pm - Perry, MI
Oh Pam,
It sucks when people do not hear what you are trying to tell them, especially when they are in charge.  They say the cream always rises to the top, now you see how true that is.

I sure hope you are feeling better.  It sounds like you need some rest, and I hope you are getting it as I type this at 12:30ish in the morning.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 11/28/08 1:52 pm - Easton, PA
Hee hee...1230ish huh?  Well I ended up passing out on the couch I don't know how many hours ago....I remember hubby trying to get me to bed...and me whining about being comfortable on the couch (IE just to miserable to even peel myself OFF the couch)  This nurse is in the process of medicating herself...just took a nyquil tablet, benadryl, and am sipping theraflu as we speak.  I looked up the ingredients and that combination should put me at the max dosage for a few different meds...I actually may be a little over on some antihistamine - but hopefully that will help me go back to bed.  I'll finish up here on boards, re later my chest in vics and head off to bed.  I can hear hubby snoring from in here, LOL

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 11/28/08 2:00 pm - Perry, MI
Hey there,
How about some Mucinex to add to all those drugs!!!  Tee hee.  I actually love that stuff, it gets me going and bringing up the good junk.  Speaking of junk, I am on a few myself, sinus infection, AGAIN. 

By the way, the inn where we had dinner on Thursday has a terrific website.  www.indianrockinn.com

I sure hope you feel better soon.  Sucks to be sick on holiday weekends.  I know, I am too.

Huggles,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 11/28/08 2:04 pm - Easton, PA

Oh that's right!  I took the mucinex a few hours ago (before hitting the couch) so I'm good on that until morning.

I contemplated buying zycam...but you are supposed to take it at the first sign of a cold...and that was about 3 days ago...when I was absolutely convincing myself I was not getting sick.

Stupid nurse.

Pam

Patricia R.
on 11/28/08 2:07 pm - Perry, MI
Correction:  Smart nurse, stubborn patient.  People in the helping professions usually make the worst patients.  My therapist absolutely goes nuts with me, and I am a therapist myself.  I hear doctors are the worst though. 

Don't forget to get some Airborne in you, or one of the immune thingies.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views