Creating Memories and Giving Thanks

Donna_in_PA
on 11/28/08 5:58 am - Lansdale, PA
I'm not a regular poster, but I do come in from time to time just to check things out.  I enjoy reading success stories.  I empathize with those who have had "bad days".  I shed tears with those who are struggling and/or having emotional highs and lows.  We've all been there.  I don't always have a lot to contribute, but I have learned so much from all of you.

Now that it's the day after Thanksgiving I'm allowing myself to breathe.   There have been no days off from work but the cooking and baking got done, partly because of my newfound boundless energy!  The kitchen has been wiped clean of just about every food group splattered on the floor, on the blacksplash or scraped off dishes.   We all laughed at my granddaughter who we found sitting ON the dining room table this morning with about 3/4 of a chocolate pumpkin cake in her pudgy little hands, spreading it in her hair, in her mouth on the floor, everywhere - and I got some great pictures to remember the moment.  My dishwasher broke at the worst moment but was repaired by my wonderful fiance', *****scued me from an insurmountable pile of dirty dishes, and because of this, was granted leniency from any kitchen duties (because he so loves helping out in the kitchen... NOT).  I feel both thankful and proud of my sons who grew up into smart, beautiful adults and are leading good lives, despite some tough times in our pasts.

This year was my first Thanksgiving post-surgery.  I think I did well.  I remember pushing myself away from the table last year, at 280 lbs., squeezing into a size 22 pants, feeling full, disgusted with myself and miserable.  This year, at 175 lbs., in a size 12 jeans (with 20 more lbs to go), I feel like a success story, not only for myself but for every single thing about the day yesterday.  I felt my mom smiling down on me because Thanksgiving was her job, and for the past 11 years I've stepped into her shoes - but this year was different. It's like that cloud of self-doubt and self-loathing was lifted. 

I'm very thankful and blessed.  For the first time in my life I feel like a success story.  I just wanted to share that.   And for those bad days that I know will come along that will be a struggle to keep positive,  yesterday became a memory that I will focus on when I'm having those bad days - to help me through.

Donna

Nicole0216
on 11/28/08 6:02 am - Lancaster, PA
Thank you for a beautiful post, and congratulations on your success.
Michelle U.
on 11/28/08 9:34 am - Corning, NY
Wow Donna,

Thank you for posting that!!!!!

Michelle
Live, Love, Laugh!!
Pam Hart
on 11/28/08 2:09 pm - Easton, PA
that's a great post.

Never "be" a success story - rather - keep on the successing.  As Shauna here pointed out - success means you have reached the finish line and have nothing left to reach for - and your new life has BOUNDS for you to reach for.

Keep it up the great work - I'm so happy YOU are so happy - and you deserve every single iota second of BEING happy!!

Happy holidays,

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
HopefulFuture
on 11/30/08 1:05 am - Boston, MA
Congratulations Donna!  And thank you for sharing such a beautiful and reflective post.  Keep up the great work and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Lisa :)  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views