Thanksgiving dinner

MikeB
on 11/27/08 7:11 am - Pottstown, PA
Hey everybody I was just wondering if you have relatives like mine..  We went to my mother in laws for dinner.. My sister in law decided on the menu... They know that my wife is on weigh****chers and I had the surgery.  Other than the turkey and the beverages we brought our entire dinner.. There was nothing that we could eat .. it was either fully loaded with fat or was made with sugar.. What the Hell......  Any way it was kind of funny to watch everyone load there plates up and stuff themselves  then listen to my brither in law talk about how he is going to do 2 hrs on the eliptiacl tomorrow  ....as he's shoving more mashed potatoes in his mouth..

Just wanted to rant a little before bed

Have a great night all.

Mike
Ready4 AChange
on 11/27/08 7:56 am, edited 11/27/08 7:56 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Like your avatar....Love tigers

I made dinner so the only rant I have is not many helped clear the table except my one daughter ( out of 3).  I made "real" mashed potatoes, string beans, broccli ( grandson loves it ) corn , also made my sweetpotatoes w/splenda brown sugar and s/f syrup...yum (even my oldest couldn't tell the difference. Bought pumpkin pie , coconut custard pie for everybody else and made myself a banana cream cheesecake/sf of course and also had some left over apples so made a s/f apple crisp type dessert. I just put the turkey bones in a pot of water to make soup tomorrow. Lots of stuffing left but my son will take care of that.

I know after surgery you can't imagine yourself ever eating that much before. I had lots left on my plate  (But I did eat the sweet potatoes  )

Enjoy the rest of your night...sleep off the turkey....

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Pam Hart
on 11/27/08 9:10 am - Easton, PA
My extended family does not know about the surgery.  They obviously know about my weight loss and know that I do not eat sugar.

There was the turkey of course...and a snack table when we got there which did have things like cheese and crackers and what not I was able to eat.

As far as sides...not to much that I could have...but I did taste a little bit of some things such as the mashed potatoes (which were definately high in fat) the sweet potatoes (which were definately high in fat and sugar).  Basically I stuck to turkey, veggies, and the one forkful of the above mentioned items.

But yes - everything else there was not healthy options and everyone else there took their fare shares of all of it.  And two years ago I would have done the same - so i can't blame them nor do I want any special attention paid to me and my lifestyle.  It is my choice.

I can't imagine eating what was on their plates - it made me sick to a point - but I understand just two short years ago mine looked like that, if not worse. 

It is a site to be seen - but I let others find their own way as otherwise they won't get there any how.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
MikeB
on 11/27/08 10:57 pm - Pottstown, PA
Great point Pam.
Shannon O.
on 11/27/08 10:39 am - Reading, PA
Well, I guess I'm lucky because I could eat everything but the jelly (for rolls) and their desserts but I just bring my own... we had turkey, my green bean casserolle, corn, mashed tators from a box- and they don't add the butter, stuffing from a box- don't add butter, aspagus, that cranberry crap, etc... so the stuff I couldn't I don't like anyways... hehehe...

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/08 11:43 am
Yep, I know how you feel.  My whole immediate family knows, but everything is still sugar and fat filled.  I was able to take little bites of the "bad" stuff, but it really holds no appeal for me anymore.  I was watching everyone eat as well...even my sister, who has always been tiny, ate a ton...funny how when I was pre-op, I thought she ate so little. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

HG
Patricia R.
on 11/27/08 1:18 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Mike,
We went to a restaurant, and I cheated with the soup, but ordered a prime rib, and gave my dessert to my nephew.  I only had a few bites of my rib, and a spoonful of the mashed potatoes because I was full from the soup, but got a carry out.  I would have gotten the turkey, except I thought about the gravy, and the stuffing, and decided I would make a turkey over the weekend and have control over the gravy.  When we got back to my sis-in-law's, she had made a crustless pumpkin pie with Splenda, so I had some of that. 

I am blessed with sensitive family, who usually make sure there is an assortment of things, including sugar free and low fat.

Sorry your family isn't getting it yet. 

God bless.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

KimZ
on 11/27/08 11:20 pm - PA
GM OH Friends -

Thankgiving this year had its ups and downs.  Last year at this time I was prepping for surgery and very very aware of what when in my mouth and how much.  This year - I was driven to provide as close to a fat and sugar free meal for the kids and I spent literally 3 days of baking and cooking.  the staples were great - turkey, mashed potatoes, squash, green beans, etc.   I ate in moderation and knew my limitations.  I stayed away from the dinner rolls and the stuffing and the meal all in all was very very good.  The baked goods - not so good.

I made fresh pies from scratch with fresh fruit (including I bought a pumpkin - and cut it up and cooked it for the pumpkin pies).  I made apple, blueberry, pumpkin and cherry.  The filings were ok - but the splenda has this overwhelming aftertaste.  The pie crust - I made substituting fat free ricotta cheese for the shortening.  They looked fabulous - almost showroom quality.  But it all stops there.  The crust was hard and rubbery.  After watching the kids take a bite and then respectfully gag and wipe their tongues - I decided to give a try myself.  I had a total of one bite of the cherry pie ...it was all I needed....to the trash all of the pies went and we ended up going to a local diner and I bought real pies for the kids.

I really really missed mince meat and cranberry relish this year.  I looked for sf alternatives but couldnt find them.    Next year we have already planned that since Stella and Nick will be at school in Cardiff, Wales - they will be cooking dinner for us there in their new place.  Even though turkey day is a US holiday - we have already decided to have Duck and all of the English / Welsh traditional fare.

My 1st yr post WLS lesson - MODERATION!   I am not going to substitue taste for moderation.  The sliver of pie that I would have eaten did not have enough fat in it to kill me or kill my daily requirement - so next time Im using the light shortening.  However I will continue to use the sugar substitues like sugar free applesauce and splenda (I stil have my healthy fear of sugar).

All in all it was a good day.  I was able to get a 5 mile run in - while the turkey was cooking.  The kids played video games and helped in the kitchen.

KIm Z

dit657
on 11/28/08 6:21 am - Boothwyn, PA
Well, I can't rant about this holiday - I did most of the cooking and didn't make an over abundance of any one thing. Any item that required sugar got Splenda and I watched what I put on my plate and ate that and that was it. I made a sugar free apple pie that everyone loved and the sugar free cranberry sauce that someone posted, and that went before the other canned stuff.

My family was very satisfied and happy with the dinner - we have some leftovers but nothing too drastic. My mashed potatoes definitely are not lo-fat but they are yummy and I did indulge in some of them, but not a lot because I wanted a little taste of everything.

I think holidays will get easier as we all progress thru this -- I was a little nervous about this one but nobody noticed or said anything about my plate not being piled mile high - they were all too busy chowing down themselves!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views