Plastic Surgey Consult

SPatel4
on 11/26/08 1:46 am - Levittown, PA

I need some help. Those who attended the last Barix Post-Op support meeting know that we had a Dr Ben Lam give a seminar on abdominoplasty. I asked to be contacted for a consult and they called me (YIKES) anyway they are very nice and told me that its okay even if I have not reached my goal yet (I am 20 pounds away) to come in for a consult. I am getting scared and nervous for those of you who have had a consult and or gone to see a PS what should I expect from this first visit. What kind of questions did you pose to the surgeon? I know what I am going to be asking but is there something else I should be asking beside recovery time, how many procedures he has done. I know he is double board certified and comes with high recommendations by some of the Barix babies who attended this seminar. I know I am babbling here but I am seriously PSYCHED!!

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

cleos_mom
on 11/26/08 4:03 am - phila., PA
Hi Shilpa,

I just came from Dr. Lam's office . I had my pre-op consult with him . my surgery is scheduled for Dec 12th 2 weeks & 2 days.
On the first visit you tell him what you want done if it is your stomach then he will explain about the abdominoplasty  what he does and then you can ask him questions. I don't know how many surgeries he has done but he has done several people at Barix and he does a lot of reconstruction surgery in Bensalem at the Breast Cancer center. He came highly recommended to me.
then the nexr day his cosmetic consultant called me & told me the fee, my fee is different from everybody because I am having a hysterectomy at the same time.
Insurance will  pay only if it is a medically necessary. you need documentation for 6 months that you have had problems with rashes , but they will go over it all with you , they do have financing arrangements & they accept credit cards.

? to ask-
recovery time
lifting
work
incision
stitches
drains 
when is your appt.?
like i said I will be done in 16 days you can PM after that & I will be glad to fill you in
Arlene E.
on 11/26/08 9:00 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Shilpa

Along with the questions Sue just mentioned, make sure you find out what the surgeon's fee covers as well as what the hospital fee covers.  Also - if there needs to be revision surgery, how long is that covered for?  

Be prepared to pose in your birthday suit as you get photographed from all sides.

I would set up consultations with several doctors so you get a feel for who you are the most comfortable with.  I visited three as well as the one from Hurwitz's office who was at the OH conference.  It was interesting to hear the different ways the procedure would be done as well as how many at once.

My surgery is Wed the 3rd (Ouch) with Dr. Zavitsanos at Abington.  Feel free to contact me and I will give you the whole run down as well as the cost.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving

arlene 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views