Cell phones with navigation tools??

Pam Hart
on 11/25/08 8:43 am - Easton, PA
My brother has a verizon phone with the gps pay as you use it feature.  It has worked really good for him.  Which phone it is exactly I dont' know.  But I know he likes it.  And now onto my tech rant...

The technology thing....ay....hubby is a HUGE techno fan and I wouldn't know most of this existed unless it was for him.  In fact...he downloads a lot of stuff onto a portable hard drive (shows and what not) which I always made fun of him for because he had to watch it on his computer and what not which I can't stand doing.  However....he came home with a device yesterday...did you know they make things that plug into your tv and your portable hard drive and/or iPod and allow you to watch on TV what is stored in those devices?  Including with the use of a remote control?

And we have 3 iPods (yes...three....his, mine, and one for the house with both of our music on it)...a gps system...3 laptops (mine, his, and the real old one used exclusively for downloading his illegal shows and movies and what not...), 2 of the three laptops are wireless and our printer is wireless, too (so we can print from our lap tops without being hooked up to the printer because that's just ridiculous apparantly), 2 cell phones both with blue tooth capabaility and his with internet capability (mine does to, but I don't use that feature so I don't pay for it to be hooked up), my car has a "special" stereo hooked up into it so my iPod plugs right into it so I don't have to have different accessories or what not to play it, a Wii, PS3, PSP, HD DVD player (which now is just an over glorified DVD player cause blue ray won that race and we bought a HD DVD when they were both big on the market...)  I look around and go...OMG it's utterly ridiculous.  What don't we have?  Magazines...books....tapes....maps (well hubby has lots of maps, actually, from his ambulance driving days)...board games....a deck of cards....coloring books....you know....all those silly things.

You should see Brian when the power goes out...it's like watching a lion in a cage when there's fresh meat on the other side.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/08 10:18 am
Thanks everyone!  I ended up not buying on tonight because the phones in the verizon store were MORE expensive than the ones on the verizon website.  I think the store was privately owned, so I am going to try the "real" verizon store in Downingtown this weekend or end up buying it on line....still trying to decide which phone I want.  Definately want the QUERTY and the navigator.  I talked to someone today that has the navigator and loves it.

HG
bubble273
on 11/25/08 12:16 pm - Levittown, PA
Hi Heather,

I have the same phone that Katie suggested and love it.  Well, I used to until my husband lost his and I got to use my old one.  BOOOOOO him!!!  But anyway, I loved it for texting.  It's so easy, just like a mini typewriter.

As far as Verizon.com and going into the stores, I believe the guy told me the best deals you will find online.  They don't have the same prices in the stores.  It's always cheaper to buy online.  Don't know why, but that came straight from the Verizon guy himself. 

Good luck and have fun shopping.  Oh, and if you already have a verizon plan, you may have earned enough credit to get the phone for free or cheaper than the online price.  I had $100 credit for new phones, the Samsung was buy one get one free and it was on sale for $89.99.  so I still had $10 credit left over.  So I paid nothing for 2 phones.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/08 12:21 pm
Good idea about the credits...I will call verizon tomorrow to see what they can do for me...maybe I can get a better deal. 

hg
GD_007
on 11/25/08 9:16 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
I use the iPhone but for GPS stuff I love my Garmin Nuvi.
-GD
R K.
on 11/26/08 8:01 pm

After over three and a half million miles wandering around the country in a truck and rarely getting lost I don`t see a need. There are too many landmarks and cheap up to date road atlas available. GPS on a boat, in deep woods hunting is a whole different issue.

You are never lost if you have fuel in the tanks, you are merely rerouted. The joy of travel in the car is the randomness and the bumping into the little roadside dinners and meeting people not the sterile scenario of planning every potty stop and national chain restaurant and motel.

HopefulFuture
on 11/29/08 6:41 am - Boston, MA
Hey Heather!  

Don't know if you already got your phone this weekend, but if I'm not too late with this reply, I would try to get a phone with Verizon's navigator that "talks a bit loudly".  Adam has this feature and we really like it a lot, but what we've found is that it's actually better to use when we're walking as opposed to when we're driving.  For some reason, he can't get the voice to talk louder (and he's an engineer so if anyone knows how to figure things out, he does ;)) and we have trouble hearing what it says when we're driving.  When we're walking though, it's been great!  Also, I do a bunch of texting and I LOVE the QWERTY keyboard!  Happy shopping!!  Let us know which phone you decide on :)

Lisa :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views