Cell phones with navigation tools??

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/08 10:07 pm
any one have one?  Are they accurate? worth it? 

I need a new cell phone and will be going out after work to get one.  I want the QWERTY keyboard (may be a "Verizon" term for the computer like keyboard for texting) and I am considering getting one that also has the navigation tool built in (like a tom tom or garman).  I don't need a tom tom for everyday use, but once in a while it would be a good thing.  Thru Verizon you can use the navigator for $2.99 per use and it's good for 24 hours for that rate or for $9.99 per month....I won't use it often so I will start with just the per use option. 

do you ever wonder how we could have possibly survived in the days before navigation systems, voice mail, email, TV shows ON YOUR CELL PHONE, down loadable music, yadda yadda yadda....it really is pathetic how depended we have become on such ridiculous things. 

Any input on phones would be appreciated!

HG
tammypa
on 11/24/08 10:23 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Heather,
I grew up on a farm. We had no phone, no bathroom, a tv that got one station - and we rarely got to turn it on, a radio that you used rarely, a car that you drove to church and town once a week for groceries. It is amazing that I lived with all of that deprivation. Just kidding - it was actually a great childhood. Now we have it all and sometimes it just seems to be too too much. I do not have a phone with navigation or a tom tom. No wonder I am always lost or is it at a loss. Good luck with the phone.
Tammy
dit657
on 11/24/08 10:44 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I think you're going to have to go over to the 20-something boards to ask this question! LOL!! I bought my husband a Tom-Tom last year for Xmas and we've yet to use it! He did finally get it out and looked at it after our friends used their to get us to NYC for our cruise. I didn't even know the new phones came with GPS - amazing...

Good luck!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
MikeB
on 11/24/08 11:13 pm - Pottstown, PA
Hey heather I would say unless you do a lot of traveling or driving for work  stay with the one time use option that way your not spending money you don't need to.. Also Be that I drive a truck I would much rather use a map than a GPS.. That's just my opinion though.. Anyway good luck with the phone shopping..

Mike
Sweetkatie
on 11/24/08 11:59 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I don't have Verizon but I have a few friends who have this phone....

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=pho neFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3693

It looks like a normal flip phone but then flips the other direction so you can use the qwerty style keyboard.. it's also compatible with VZ navigator.  Like I said I don't have this phone but Samsung was my maker of choice before I got my iPhone.. They make a really good product, I've had the Synch and Blackjack through AT&T before and they get good reception and the call quality is far superior to any other phone I'd had before.  I've had a lot of cell phones.. I'm kind of a technology junkie when it comes to phones.

Good luck in your search.  Hope I helped a lil bit.
5 years post-op (September 19th 2005)

Back on track... and enjoying the ride
Lesley G.
on 11/25/08 12:57 am - Allegan, MI
I just got a maroon LG enV2 from Verizon, with the QWERTY keyboard (that's an industry term) and the Navigator.  I love it!  You can try the Navigator free for one month to see how you like it, and that's what I'm doing now.  So far I love it!  It has real-time traffic, and it hasn't gotten me lost yet.  I haven't decided if I'll keep the VZ navigator for a monthly charge or just buy a GPS unit, but I am leaning towards just keeping the VZ navigator.
Lesley
jackie j
on 11/25/08 2:06 am - Glenmoore, PA
Hehehehe....we have a Garman and last week it tried to take me to Pottstown (13 miles away), which by it's calculation was a 1.75 hour ride....oh, and after I went through farmland I never knew was there, it had me looping BACK towards my house.   No wonder the hubby never gets anywhere on time!!  (Of course, he just thought it was my "splenda mind" that got me lost til he got lost the next day going somewhere he knew.)   They are only as good as their programming and most of them use mapquest....nuff said.    Nothing beats knowing where you're going.....

Course, if you're an electronics junkie it's fun to gather gizmos. 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Pam Hart
on 11/25/08 8:35 am - Easton, PA
Jackie,

I've had this problem, too with the garmin.  However...check your settings.  The routes vary GREATLY depending on if you have it on "shorter distance" or "fastest time"  The shortest distance routes normally takes me in directions I never knew existed and way out of the way, oddly enough.  Most of the time the "fastest time" option is the better one.  Of course, now living in an area that I know NOTHING about....I couldn't tell you if the way I am taking is the right way or not.  it's just the way garmin told me to go and for right now, that's ok w/ me!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 11/25/08 2:33 am - Lancaster, PA
we love our verizon plan It has gotten us out of some sticky situations. i always get lost when i use mapquest. It is not always the fastest route but it is accurate and when you are in unfamiliar territory that is all that matters.
Dennis Belk
on 11/25/08 8:30 am - Philadelphia, PA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views