Just Got My Surgery Date

Kayla B.
on 11/24/08 2:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi All,
I just got my surgery date last week - the first wk of Jan '09.  Fortunately, I found this website today because I'm really feeling myself freak out about the hair loss thing.    I understand that it's due to a lack of protein and hormonal imbalances, etc.  Several friends/family members have experienced hair loss and I'm wondering if there's some way that I can slow this down by stocking up on vitamins for hair growth, etc. 
Liz R.
on 11/24/08 3:40 am - Easton, PA
congrats on teh surgery date! There really isn't anything that you can do about the hair loss. It isn't as bad as you think. My surgeon always told me he hasn't had anyone go bald! Make sure that you are getting in your protein. I also found the Nioxxin shampoo was a big help!

Best of luck with everything - dont' hesitate to ask if you have any questions at all!

Liz
LadyJwb
on 11/24/08 3:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congrats on the surgery date! Don't stress or focus on it my hair has shed some but not "bald" I pop Biotin like it going out of style so there are things that help with it. Good Luck

Pam Hart
on 11/24/08 7:18 am - Easton, PA
Congrats and welcome to the site!!  It's a great place for info!

They say biotin (like in the product hair and nails by GNC and what not) helps with the hair falling out thing.  However...I started popping them about 3 weeks after surgery....and was consistently at or above my protein goals for the day.  8 weeks out of surgery...and I was losing a LOT of hair.  Now - it was worse for me to see it - most others did not notice it at all.....but I'm always my own worst critic.  Morale of the story - if it happens it happens - and it will come back....and my health is more important than my hair and I had to remind myself of that often.  And yes - it all came back.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 11/24/08 5:12 pm - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome to the PA forum,
Congrats on your surgery date.  It will be here before you know it.  As for the hair loss, I lost some hair for a while, and then it stopped.  I did not use the special shampoos or anything.  The advice everyone gave is terrific. 

Feel free to ask questions, check in with us at Roll Call if you like.  The PA family is the best on OH.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

ellie443
on 11/24/08 8:49 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Congrats on the surgery date!

ellen
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/08 9:14 pm
congrats on the date!!   I never lost a single hair on my head....some people do, some don't.  I used biotin...which won't keep it from falling out if its going to do so, but it helps it grow in healthier and stronger.

HG
HopefulFuture
on 11/29/08 5:43 am - Boston, MA
Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the PA board!  Congratulations on getting your surgery date!!  January will be here before you know it!!!

Lisa :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views