4 months out today and down 82 pounds

tracyb330
on 11/23/08 1:21 am - Temple, PA
Well, today I am offically 4 months post-op and down 82 pounds. I still can't believe how well I am doing. I work out a lot and eat good. I made a huge mistake and ate a healthy soup that had meatballs in it and pasta and it felt like someone filled me up with air. I was in so much pain. I don't do bread, rice and pasta anymore but I guess I "forgot" and ate a little bit of it. I paid for it dearly so that will never happen again. I do eat a cracker from time to time with PB on it. Did anyone else have this problem with carbs. I'm not complainning. I think it's a good thing. I just stick to protein, fruits, veggies and my shakes. I am very gratful to my husband who has been so wonderful thru this journey. I sleep so good at night now that I don't even need any meds to help me fall asleep. I keep going and pretty much pass out at night.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Tracy
5'9 and a size 6...I love my tool.
bubble273
on 11/23/08 2:20 am - Levittown, PA

CONGRATULATIONS, Tracy!!!  That's FANTASTIC!!!  You're doing very well.

As far as your crackers and pb, go for it.  I don't think that's bad at all.  I'm an Utz pretzel addict, so that's probably worse than your crackers.  But with doing the pb, you're getting in  your protein, so it's okay to add a cracker or two or three or whatever it is with it.  Just don't overdo it.  Keep up the great work!!!

Karen

Candace ..
on 11/23/08 3:00 am - pgh, PA
WOW Congrats!!!!!    Happy Holiday to you as well.
                                                                 130LBS GONE!!!

MsDeniseinPA
on 11/23/08 6:23 am - PA
CONGRATS!

what great progress you are making.
dit657
on 11/23/08 7:15 am - Boothwyn, PA
Tracy you're doing fantastic!! Congratulations on such a successful 4 months!

I was talking to my nut about carbs the last time I saw her -- she is not against carbs at all - just in moderation and says to be careful with them. But if you're working out you need carbs for the energy - if you don't have carbs in your diet your body is going to pull the energy from other sources - namely protein - which affects your hair, nails and other things. So as long as you don't overdo it you should be fine.

Take care - and keep on successing!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
tracyb330
on 11/23/08 9:44 am - Temple, PA
Kathy,
Thanks for telling me that. Since I work out 5 days a week this is something that I needed to know. My hair is falling out and I meet all my protein goals. I guess I should try some good carbs before my work out. What is a good carb anyway??? I just don't like the gas pain associated with carbs. I can do mashed potatos. Is that good enough??

Thank you all for you nice comments. I do love my pb and crackers so I only let myself have it once or twice a week. I use Simply Jiff and RF Ritz so it's not so bad. that might be a good choice to eat before my work out....

Thanks. You all are wonderful.
5'9 and a size 6...I love my tool.
dit657
on 11/23/08 8:53 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Your going to have some hair loss regardless -- most of us do (did) - mine started around 4 months as well but I don't think it was as bad as some because I did incorporate some carbs into my diet with work-outs. Stick to your PB and Rtiz - you're getting the best of both worlds there - protein and some carbs. Or lo-sugar cereal - Special K w/Protein is very good, and again you'll get some of both.

My hair stopped falling out around 6 months and is coming back slowly but surely - of course everything coming in is GRAY!! But I'll take it - beats not having it, right?!

keep up the great work!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 11/23/08 8:59 am - Easton, PA
Tracy,

What a great post!  Keep it up!!

At about four months out I wasn't doing much carbs at all.  I still don't do much pasta, I don't do rice at all (I have tried it and felt awful afterwards)  However...crackers and pretzels and things such as that I really have to watch.  At over a year out they go down especially easy and don't give me that full feeling and allow me to graze if I want to.  So I don't keep them around because I would much rather have a sleeve full of crackers than I would 3 ounces of chicken breast on most days.  Like everyone else said - moderation is the key.  I personally have a problem with moderation with those things....so I watch myself very closely.

I do occassionally have a low carb wrap with deli meats or a half of sandwich made with whole grain and/or low carb bread.  The meat and cheese I put on it is lean and/or low fat so I get a decent amount of protein in.

Keep up the great work!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
New_Beginnings_36
on 11/23/08 9:38 am - PA
Congrats Tracy!! You are doing awesome!!

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/08 12:35 pm - Poconos, PA
That's fantastic Tracy. Congrats to you!

About the soup - Don't look at it as you "made a huge mistake". Instead, just see it as - you had a learning experience. I think that when things like that happen, if we keep calling them mistakes then over time, we tend to be too hard on ourselves because we see it as a negative.

I'm almost 6 years out from surgery and I still have a problem with certain carbs. I have a very difficult time with white rice and all thin pasta - spagetti, linguini, fettuccini and angel hair. And white bread is satan himself as far as I'm concerned so I stay far away from that. I use low carb wraps when I feel like a sandwich and they're actually quite tasty. You may not always have a problem with some of the things you are now though. Some folks are able to slowly add things to their diet the further they progress in their journey. So who knows, a year from now, you might actually be able to enjoy a small serving of pasta without feeling like you want to die. You just never know.

Keep up the great work! You're doing wonderful!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views