Sugar Free Brownies

Pam Hart
on 11/21/08 11:01 pm - Easton, PA
Ok...I have spent the past two days trying sugar free brownie recipies.  None of them have worked.

The one that pops up all over the place calls for unsweetened coco powder, butter, eggs, flour etc.  After reading reviews I determined that they come out flat but to add some baking powder.  So I did.  What I got was splenda tasting non chocolatey flat cake like something or other.  Blech.

Then I took my moms recipie from Betty Crocker and just subbed splenda for the sugar.  What I got was a pan full of salty (??) tasting dry crumbs (and no, it wasn't over baked I took it out before it should have been done)

I just placed an order with netrition.com  They have a line called "Big Train" and I bought their brownie mix.  I've used their pancake mix before and was very happy with it.

The thing is...I'm a "baker" and love to make things from scratch.  The idea of using a mix to me is not something I'm all for...but if they turn out good I guess it will be fine.

Does anyone have a brownie recipie they have used and like?  I prefer my brownies more fudgy than I do cake like.

I will definately let you know how I like the big train product once it comes and I bake up a batch.  I also ordered their cookie mix (one chocolate chip and one PB recipie) along with some other items (not big train) that I will review as well once I use them.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
HopefulFuture
on 11/22/08 1:53 am - Boston, MA
Sorry Pam, I haven't worked my way up to baking yet ;) but hopefully someone else will be able to help you out :)

Lisa :)

Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 2:16 am - Easton, PA
LOL  thanks Lisa!

And you baked - you made apple crisp! 

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
HopefulFuture
on 11/22/08 12:02 pm - Boston, MA
Hahaha, that's right -- I almost forgot ;)

Lisa :)

Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 6:51 am - Reading, PA
be careful with the Big Train stuff because most of their stuff has a form of sugar in it... like cane juice or cane crystals etc...

but when using splenda you must add more liquid because as sugar cooks it turns to a liquid... so either add an extra egg (which is what I do) or a little yogurt etc... depending on what it is...

Here is a recipe in the spenda cookbook I have...
After-School BUtterscotch Brownies
2 1/4 cup all purse flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of butter- unsalted
3/4 cup of splenda brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1 package of butterscotch chips- divided
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. pre heat to 350
2. combine dry stuff
3. combine splenda, vanilla in a large bowl... beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually beat in flour mixutre. Stir in 1 cup of chips and the pecans. Spread into an ungreased 13x9 baking pan. Sprinkle with remainging chips.
4. bake gor 30 to 40 mins. Cool in pan. Cut into bars.

Makes 48 servings
calories 120
protein 1
fat 7
Carbs 12
fiber 0
cholesterol 20mg
sodium 75mg
sugars 7

Ok. to make these chocolate- take out some of the flour for coco powder. to lower sugar don't use the chips. I hope this works...

Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 9:00 am - Easton, PA
This one I might try.  However...the only splenda brown sugar I have found is one of their blends...which is half sugar half splenda....
Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 9:41 am - Reading, PA
if you ditch the chips I wouldn't worry about the brown sugar blend... if you keep them then switch it out to plain splenda...

Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 9:05 am - Easton, PA
Yea...the big train stuff had I think 5gm of sugar in a serving....but I don't know how big of a pan it makes....so I'll have to see what a "serving" is for them and what I end up making a serving.

Pam
Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 6:59 am - Reading, PA

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Free-Brownies/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

• 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup granular sucrolose sweetener (eg. Splenda™)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1 (1.4 ounce) package sugar free, chocolate fudge flavored instant pudding
  • 1 cup skim milk 
  •  

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
  2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine and cocoa together, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Stir in the sucrolose sweetener. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the egg mixture then mix in the cocoa and margarine. Finally stir in the 1/4 cup of milk and if desired, the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. To make frosting, Mix together the sugar free chocolate pudding mix and 1 cup skim milk using an electric mixer. Mix for about two minutes or until thick. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views