****Saturday Roll Call****

Monica N.
on 11/22/08 11:08 am - PA
Hi Diane-
Glad to hear you are "with the band" LOL.
I got the green light for regular exercise with no restrictions at my 1 month post op visit. I also went back to work very quickly...Banded on Monday, back to work on Friday.  I work in a group home for individuals w/ mental retardation.
Good luck w/ getting through the holidays...don't deprive yourself too much or you are setting yourself up for a very uncomfortable binge (I learned that the hard way! LOL)

235/214/196/163/125
All time high/Start of 6 month diet/Day of surgery/Current Weight/Goal
Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 12:24 pm - Easton, PA
Hey Monica,

I'm not sure if I have just missed your posts recently (I've basically only been scanning through the posts and not reading all of the responses and what not) but glad to see you posting!!  I hope all is going well!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Monica N.
on 11/23/08 12:51 pm - PA
Haha...Besides within the past day or two I haven't posted in months!!!! Lot's of stuff has been going on here...some good, some bad, but that's a post in itself...

AND YOU LOOK GORGEOUS!!!!!! I log off for a few months and come back and everyone's so slim and cute!  Before and somewhat (over half to goal!) after pics of me to come eventually, I promise!

I hope you are doing well to...thanks for the hello and well wishes!

235/214/196/163/125
DianeMarie
on 11/22/08 5:04 pm - Delmont, PA
Hi Monica!

I won't go back to the dr's for 4 weeks.  They told me to eat what I want and then they will give me a fill when I go back.  I dont want to eat what I want because that's why I had this surgery in the first place!  I'm finding I can eat way more than I want to so I'm limiting myself and not the band.  I hope these 4 weeks pass by quickly.  I want to keep up with the weight loss and not gain.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 6:30 pm - Easton, PA
When they said "eat what you want" did they give you nutritional guidelines to stay in?  I must say - I'm a little concerned about that statement.  Do you think maybe it was "eat what you want" as far as capacity is concerned?  I know that the band can take a few fills and adjustments before the real restriction is felt, so maybe they want to see how much food you can "hold" and base the adjustments on that?

Your attitude of 'I dont' want to eat what I want because that's why I had this surgery in the first place' is 1000% correct and a great attitude to have.  I don't mean to sound rude - but I think your doctors office statement was absurd and very non supportive.

I can give you guidelines that I was given after surgery - but that is for RNY and you have more freedom with the band.  I also don't want to sound like I'm pushing the RNY life style on you or anyone else.  Either tool works as long as you work it, in my opinion (wow...I'm just full of un asked opinions this morning, aren't I??)

Have a great day Diane!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Monica N.
on 11/23/08 1:08 pm - PA
Diane,
I went through a similar challenge to yours early on. I was banded on 5/19, and actually my 4 week post op (where I was given the okay to exercise was more like at 3 weeks because I was leaving for vacaction in AZ. The doctor was not willing to adjust me so early on, especially since I had been losing weight, but I was nervous because I was going to my mom's, and in my family food means love!  The doctor reassured me that he was confident that I would not gain, even with Mama's cooking, and it turn's out he was right! I did have a little bit of restriction, and still managed to lose a little bit of weight. As soon as I came back the doc gave me 3 cc's of saline, but even then it took me two more fills in the following few months to get some really noticable restriction. I know you are really enjoying this rapid weight loss, but please try to remember that you've got a long road ahead of you with this awesome tool...Hate to sound cheesy, but slow and steady wins the race, right? You may find that you have some restriction when it comes to certain foods. With me it was foods like italian bread, lean hamburger, and chicken breast. I know that from a dietary standpoint the italian bread is bad, but if you are looking for something to fill you up when you are afraid you are going to make even worse choices, eating a piece of that with a slice of skim mozzarella or something like that on it could be the lesser of two evils! Hang in there, it may seem difficult now but you couldl look back and be proud of how well you did before you got to the "magic number" of saline in your band...Oh, and once you hit that magic number, look out! The weight just melts away (the exercise contributes to that, though), and you feel full like you never have before! You get full so easily you learn to not look forward to filling up like you used to pre-surgery! (assuming you were a foodie like me, of course!)
Anyhow, I KNOW you can do it...If I, the diet failure queen can do it, ANYONE CAN!!!
Hang in there, you'll be in my thoughts! I hope you end up loving your band as much as I do mine!

Monica

235/214/196/163/125
DianeMarie
on 11/23/08 6:06 pm - Delmont, PA
Monica,

Wow thanks for your comments.  Alot of this is what's running through my head right now. I am so afraid I'll start gaining again.   I guess in the long run 4 weeks isnt as long as my pre-surgury diet and If I did that.. I can do 4 weeks on my own again.  

I feel some restriction but mostly in swallowing.  Foods will get stuck and I feel it in my chest.  Once I drink something and slide it through I'm fine.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate you responding to me.  It's nice to talk to someone that has gone through what I'm going through now.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views