A sub for molasses

Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 7:04 am - Reading, PA
Ok, I am 99% sure that we can't have molasses... because I have been staying away from it like it is the devil himself lol... anyways... I have found a lot of recipes where I can't find a sub for molasses... has anyone found something for it yet?

Thanks...

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/08 9:36 am - Poconos, PA
The cooks thesaurus says to substitue with any of these:

dark corn syrup OR maple syrup (works well in gingerbread cookies) OR honey OR barley malt syrup (weaker flavor; use 1/3 less) OR brown sugar (Substitute 1.5 cups brown sugar for every 1 cup molasses)"

I'm not big fan of cooking, I actually avoid it like the plague so I'm not sure which of them comes in sugar free / low sugar or any other type of healthier versions you would want but I figured it couldn't hurt to put this out there for everyone.

I hope you find something that works out well for you.
Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 9:43 am - Reading, PA
all of those subs are on our no no list... and so far you really can't cook with the sugar free maple syrup as a sub...

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/08 10:05 am - Poconos, PA
Yeah I knew the ones they're suggesting are no no's but I was clueless if they came in friendlier versions or not. I'm not kidding when I say I know nothing about cooking..lol.

Good to know about the sf maple syrup though cause I had no idea about that. It's probably a very good thing I don't cook afterall!
jackie j
on 11/22/08 11:46 am - Glenmoore, PA
Not sure what you are trying to make but if you are looking for a brown sweet candy-like substance with no glycemic index (WLS friendly) you can go with what I use to make candied yams which is a little smart balance melted in a pan and diabetisweet brown sugar.  Melt it and reduce it together into a sticky taffy.  It will have the sweet taste but not exactly molasses but I'm thinking if you add SF maple syrup at the last minute before finishing you'll get a very close taste result.   Watch the sticky stuff carefully when cooking and keep it on medium or it will quickly harden and it a pain to get out of your pans.  (You'll have to add water and reboil them to melt it out.)   For the candied yams, add some juice from the can at the beginning with the SB and DW and when you reach candied status just add a can of cut yams and coat gently & warm. 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 12:18 pm - Reading, PA
I have just seen a lot of recipes for cookies, cakes, breads, bbq sauce that call for it... and since they aren't what I call my every day recipes I always forget to ask about it... but when looking for brownie recipes for Pam I thought of it again...

Where do you buy your DiabetiSweet at? and what do you normally pay for it... so I can price check hehehe...

Patti M.
on 11/22/08 9:23 pm
Shannon,

I just found some on Thursday at my local Target in the aisle with all of the diabetic stuff (like Glucerna etc).  I was SHOCKED to find it because I thought I remembered Jackie saying she had to get it online.  So I picked up the brown sugar one immediately!  (They had a white one too, I don't know if that's supposed to be like Splenda or powdered sugar, I didn't look.  I was more interested in the brown sugar one.)  It was $6.99.
Patti      
Shannon O.
on 11/23/08 6:44 am - Reading, PA
ohhhhhh I will have to look at my target... thanks for the tip!

jackie j
on 11/24/08 2:55 am - Glenmoore, PA
Actually I just lucked out recently.  My hokey nearby grocer carried it occasionally and they had it half-price so I bought both white and brown knowing I'd be cooking and baking alot in the next 6 weeks.   I do believe Liz found the best price at $4.99 but I can't remember where...check w/her.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Patricia R.
on 11/22/08 12:19 pm - Perry, MI
My sister made baked beans with Splenda Brown Sugar Blend one time, and I was able to handle it.  It has less sugar than regular brown sugar.  She recently made them for a party she went to and everyone raved about them, and did not know they were lower in sugar.  It might be something to consider.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views