Hello!!!!

Candace ..
on 11/22/08 2:18 am - pgh, PA
My surgery dates coming up!!!  I still can't believe it my head has just been spinning lol

For all my post op's is there ANYTHING else I should be thinking about in preparation before hand??  I will be getting the rest of my post op items within the next couple days.

Like broth, SF Popsicles etc.  I don't start soft foods'till week three.

and Thank all of you in advance because everyone always has such good advice.
                                                                 130LBS GONE!!!

Shannon O.
on 11/22/08 7:08 am - Reading, PA
well right now things like fat free gravy and instant pudding packs are on sale... so stock up... and make sure to get the sugar free pudding stuff... closer to Christmas you will see jello on sale as well not sure if Splenda goes on sale or not...

With jello you can add certain protein powders to it and then let it jell for a great treat...

But, I would make your own stock and then freeze it in like 1/2 cup servings for later... and then just eat the meat now off the chicken or turkery etc... that you are using to make the broth...

But, good luck!

Candace ..
on 11/22/08 10:00 pm - pgh, PA
  Thanks for the info!!!! 

I did buy some cands of chicken broth already Lovin the sales.

I have two roasting chicken that  I will be making homemade stock out of.!!!!!!!!

Thanks again
                                                                 130LBS GONE!!!

Monica N.
on 11/22/08 11:22 am - PA
I'm not sure if you are watching your sodium a whole lot but you can get cup-a-soup powdered packets in a small box at giant eagle (near the french onion soup, etc.). It's only like 1.50 and you get 4 packets in a box. They have a creamy chicken flavor that is *awesome* and it's only like 50 calories a serving. It's like a cross between cream of chicken soup and seasoned up chicken broth, only not as bad for you. Plus it's great for if you're in a hurry. I haven't tried the tomato flavored one yet, but that might be worth looking into also if you like that sort of thing.
Good luck with your surgery and the amazing journey that follows it!

235/214/196/163/125
All time high/Start of 6 month diet/Day of surgery/Current Weight/Goal
Patricia R.
on 11/22/08 12:16 pm - Perry, MI
What I did was make my homemade chicken soup and strain the broth for the liquid phase and then puree the solids in my blender and freeze it in an ice cube tray and then put the cubes in a ziploc bag for the puree phase.  I stored all this in the freezer for post-op time. 

I also got sugar free pudding mixes and jellos in the house to have handy, as well as sugar free Carnatin Instant Breakfast, which I mixed with AnyWhey protein for a great protein drink.  Also, Dannon Lite and Fit yogurt has no sugar or fat. 

Isopure makes a protein drink that I used a lot, especially during clear liquid.  It tastes like Grape KoolAid.  It has 40 grams of protein per bottle.  I get it at GNC, and sometimes their website has a special with free delivery.  You can also get it at the store, I just don't like going to the mall because of the parking and walking through the mall is a pain in the butt when I am pressed for time.

As for the hospital, make sure you take good slippers you can walk in, and a robe.  You will be walking. 

Keep us posted.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Candace ..
on 11/22/08 10:06 pm - pgh, PA
Freeing it in an ice-cream tray was a very good idea ...... I will definitely be doing that!!!!

Wow I did not know it ( Isopure) had that much protein in it. 

Thanks for all the good advice!!!!!!!

130LBS GONE!!!

Pam Hart
on 11/22/08 12:19 pm - Easton, PA
Candace,

You are so close!  Whoo hoo!!

As far as things you should have....well don't stock up on anything really.  You may find tastes changing right after surgery.  Even with things like crystal lite.  I would definately have sf ice pops and stuff.  And for awhile after surgery I lived on peppermint tea.  it did wonders for nausea for me post op and warm liquids felt better than cold on some days.  You will be amazed at how decent (I say decent because "good" takes awhile to come) so if you need to run out the store for some more liquid stuff, you can, or have somebody pick some up for you.

There's no real way to get ready for it - but be prepared for some emotional upset before and probably after surgery.  There are a TON of emotions that go along with this surgery and estrogen is stored in fat - so as you begin to rapidly lose weight - your moods may be all over the place.

For the hospital stay itself this is my list of what I brought and what I ended up using:

My own pillow (I'm a big kid and need "my" pillow wherever I go)
Pajamas (The hospital I went to allowed you to wear your own clothes after surgery)
Socks
Slip on sandals/flip flops for walking the halls - you certainly don't want anything you need bend over to put on
Chapstick (a MUST for me....hospitals tend to be dry)
My own toiletries (shampoo etc...again...because I like my own stuff)
Feminie hygeine products (your cycle may be irregular...and note....they only want you using pads while in the hospital due to risk of infection)
iPod - definately needed my music
Magazines - don't know why I even bothered.  I had the attention span of a goldfish after the anesthesia and I couldn't concentrate to read the articles
Cell Phone and charger
Loose fitting clothes to go home in (I wore my pajamas home, actually)

Let us know what else you think of!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Candace ..
on 11/22/08 9:57 pm - pgh, PA
OMG Pam THANKS!!!! 

I needed that list!!!!!  It's crazy just how  scattered brained I am right now lol.  I can't believe just how soon it is.....

I can only imagine my emotions....It's crazy because every time I eat something as a pre-op I 'm thinking how the food will effect me as a post-op.  Thank god my husband is so supportive and can deal with my many pre-op emotions lol.

Thanks again your always a help even when you don't know it lol

ETA: I Frequent your page often.....
                                                                 130LBS GONE!!!

Patricia R.
on 11/22/08 10:48 pm - Perry, MI
Pam did hit on something I forgot.  I got my period on the day of my surgery, as a lot of women do.  Do not panic if that occurs.  It is no big deal for the nurses and docs.  Just use pads. 

Also, if you have not been given your spirometer yet, start doing breathing exercises at least 3-4 times a day.  Deep breathing and blowing out slowly.  It will really help you for the post-op breathing into the spirometer.  I did it regularly before my surgery and it really does help. 
Also, do not panic if you get all emotional a day or two before.  Just post here and let us help you calm down. 

And don't beat yourself up for being scatter brained.  It happened to me big time.  Just make a list and keep it on your fridge. 

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Candace ..
on 11/23/08 2:57 am - pgh, PA
I forgot all about the spirometer... I had a one with my c-section almost 5 years ago.  Which by the way has helped with the nerves of a major surgery!!!

As far as the emotions I'm trying to keep them in check for DH sake lol....

Thank you again!!!!
                                                                 130LBS GONE!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views