HG's Miracle Mashies

Shannon O.
on 11/21/08 1:27 am - Reading, PA

I saw this in a Hungery Girl email and thought that I would pass it on to all of you...

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=130 4

HG's Miracle Mashies

PER SERVING (1/5th of recipe, about 2/3 cup): 82 calories, 1g fat, 168mg sodium, 16g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 3g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

Mixing cauliflower and potato is a GREAT way to get true mashed potato taste and texture, with a healthier, lower calorie spin. Woohoo!

Ingredients:
1 large (about 13-oz.) potato
3 cups cauliflower florets
3 tbsp. fat-free half & half
1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
1/4 tsp. salt
pepper and additional salt, to taste
Optional: 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, peel and cube the potato.

Once water is boiling, add peeled potato cubes and cauliflower. Wait for the water to return to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes ****il potatoes and cauliflower are very tender).

Remove the pot from heat and strain out all of the water. Transfer contents to a large bowl, and add half & half, butter/buttery spread, salt, and (if you like) crushed garlic. Ma**** all together with a potato masher, until completely blended. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt. Enjoy!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS

Liz R.
on 11/21/08 4:23 am - Easton, PA
This sounds good! Another secret that I use is I mix Ricotta cheese into the mashed potatoes - you cann't taste it just makes them creamy and adds protein - maybe we'll try this recipe next month at the cooking class!

Thanks for sharing!

Liz
Shannon O.
on 11/21/08 4:33 am - Reading, PA
I have made cali mash before and it really lacked flavor... so I really do want to try this recipe out because if it can keep me from bread type carbs at dinner I am all for it... right now we are living off of sweet potatoes as our dinner carb most nights hehehe!

Pam Hart
on 11/21/08 11:28 am - Easton, PA
I've made mashed cauliflower before.

I simmer it in chicken stock, no****er for added flavor.

Also...I roast a head of garlic and use that in it (I prefer roasted garlic over raw garlic)

Season with salt and pepper...and also add some lf cream cheese or greek yogurt (not much) for a creamy texture.

Also...adding some lf shredded cheese helps with flavor too.

Garlic cheese "potatoes" (cauliflower) is wonderful!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views