With thanksgiving next week and all....

Liz R.
on 11/19/08 11:28 pm - Easton, PA
Mary could you re-post this recipe? I'd love to try it!!

Thanks!

Liz
dit657
on 11/19/08 10:55 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house for a very small group - hubby, mother, one of hubby's daughters and my nephew - he may be bringing a friend -not sure yet.

We're not making a lot of different foods - no candied yams because my mom always made them from scratch and they are way too sweet, plus its too much work for the one or two who would actually eat them. I bought 2 pies but am making my own sf apple pie and will have sf ice cream to go with it for a treat. Oh, and I'm making the sf cranberry sauce, too - that recipe that was posted the other day is really simple and looks great. Can't wait to try it. Didn't realize that canned cranberry sauce had so much sugar in it. Blech.

We eat fairly early and usually twice, so there won't be a lot of junk around, either. I'll probably go with 2 small meals to keep from over-eating and feeling miserable.

Will have my big, strong nephew move my family room furniture around so we can put up the tree and also have him help carry Xmas boxes in from the garage - no such thing as a free meal at my house! LOL!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
CherylT
on 11/19/08 10:57 pm - Perkasie, PA
I just got a sweet red kitchenaid mixer and I'm gonna try it out next week. LOVE those recipes that were posted from Bariatric Eating.....want to make the pumpkin pie and the amaretto balls.

I'm trying not to be depressed about the holidays. I have a lot to be thankful for, and I should be. Trying not to think about the sweet cornbread pudding I always make, that I'm the only one who eats, that is way too fattening for me to make this year.

My three kids are going to have Thanksgiving dinner at my house, and then go to their dad's place at night.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/08 11:17 pm
I will be going to my Aunt's for breakfast then my cousin's inlaws for dinner...I am not a fan of the holidays anymore I feel like a lost soul that invades other people's family. 
But I am going to attempt to make the Pumpkin Pound Cake we learned at LIz's cookng class.

dit657
on 11/20/08 12:25 am - Boothwyn, PA
Why will you feel like a lost soul? Because you won't be eating everything? Please don't feel like that - you're going for the company and family and to enjoy the day. I know Thanksgiving is usually all about eating, but just think of how good you'll feel when you're not stuffed like that turkey was and everybody else is moaning and groaning about over-eating!

Relax and enjoy the day -- don't get down about what you can't have - think about how wonderful you feel and look and how many more Thanksgivings you'll be able to enjoy from shedding all that 'fluff'!!

Kathy

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 12:41 am
Oh No Kathy it is not about the food at all ...Believe it or not I never understand why people got so stuffed on Thanksgiving I ate my meal and was done. Plus I was not a huge sweet eater when it came to desserts so no big lose there either ...

What I meant by a lost soul is that both my parents are gone, I am single and yes I have extended family and friends but I am invited to their gatherings but I still feel lost it is not my own family and traditions. A lot of this has surfaced this year as I am rediscovering me and learning to speak out for myself and re-exam my own life.

Thanksgiving was always my Mom's meal to cook and I miss her so much around this time of year. This year it i****ting really hard because so many people have been saying that she would be so proud of all I have done this year. 
We were extremely close and yet I always doubted she was proud of me because my brother was military and all I ever her out of her mouth was her son did this and that...Then when she died so many people told me so many things she had said about me it then hit me very hard she was just as proud of me as my brother. Now I have people telling all over how proud she would be while it is bittersweet it still hurts because I miss her so much.

I hope this makes sense...
dit657
on 11/20/08 12:49 am - Boothwyn, PA
This makes a lot of sense - and I totally understand. I'm sorry I was so off-base about what was going on. I don't think our mothers ever let us girls know how proud they are of us - its always about the 'boys' - mothers and sons - a different breed.

I still have my mom with me for the holidays - don't know how much longer she'll be with us and with my siblings spread all around the country its going to be weird for me, too.

I do hope you have a nice holiday - I miss my sister a lot now, too - we always spent the holidays together and now she's in FLA and we don't see her much anymore.

Kathy

bubble273
on 11/20/08 2:52 am - Levittown, PA
Lord, Beth, could your Mom story be any closer to mine.  I'm sitting here with tears pouring out of my face.  My mom will be gone 8 years in January and it just seems like yesterday that she was here.  I miss her a tremendous amount.  And when I saw my family recently all of them said, my God, your mom would be so proud and so would Nann, my grandmom who is also passed.  And then we all had a good cry.  And we ALWAYS went to my mom's house for Thanksgiving.  She cooked every single year.  And it was the best food EVER!!!.

My mom was taken from us WAY TOO EARLY and was loved by SOOOOOOOOO many people.  I was very close to her.  And this journey has not been the same without her.  So many times this year I have gone to pick up the phone to call her, because I needed her so.  And to know that she was not there when I needed her most just kills me inside.  Thank the Lord for the friends and family that I do have.  I don't know how I would have gotten through what I have gotten through without each and every one of them, and that includes my Barix family.  I so know that my mom is proud of me and has helped me get to the point I'm at.  I just wish she was here in the flesh.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 4:35 am
Aww, Karen I didn't mean to make you cry but I was crying and took me forever to type this out in reply to Kathy this morning because I kept crying. The ters really came out of no where this morning but I guess I just needed the cry. 

I am sorry your Mom ws taken so early I feel the same about my Mom she was too you ng and selfishly I was to young.

Yes, both our Moms are looking over us and pround as they can be of their Babygirls  and what we have accomplished.

Liz R.
on 11/19/08 11:31 pm - Easton, PA
Chris and I are hosting our first Thanksgiving. I plan to make the turkey and all the fixings. There will be about 8-10 people - a small crowd compared to our usual 25 or so but that's fine with me! I do have several sugar free desserts in the works, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie and pumpkin cheese cake. Infact the only thing that I will make that isn't sugar free is the sweet potato pie. I will just eat everything in moderation. I won't be counting carbs on Thanksgiving!

Beth - that pound cake is as easy as it gets! You can do it!

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views