I Was Approved!!!..Now the Stress Begins??

browngirl76
on 11/19/08 11:37 pm - Ridley Park, PA
I received a letter from my insurance company in yesterday's mail that I have been approved for the RNY Gastric Bypass.  YEAH!!!!!

I am excited and very scared all at the same time.  Now I need to break the news to my family.  They are very loving and extremely supportive but love to worry and bother me about every little thing.  Last summer I had LASIK eye surgery and my Mother had a complete conniption.  I hate to think what breaking this news is going to be like!

Anyway, I still have my sleep study and some blood work before I can have my pre-admission testing and set up a surgical date. 

I am still not sure if this is definitely what I want.  It seems like such a drastic and permanent step.  I am also a little nervous about the emotional side of it.  I am definitely an emotional eater and I find it hard to believe that I won't want to eat like I do now. 

Does anyone have some words of wisdom for me??

It's pretty much all I have been thinking about for months now.

Thanks for your input!
LisaAC
on 11/19/08 11:57 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Congrats on the approval!  I found that to be the most stressful part, worrying about approval.  Comparatively, everything else was a breeze.

Yes, it is a drastic and permanent step.  And it will not cure your emotional eating.  If you are having doubts, think it through thoroughly and ask advice from your support group.  I would also suggest that you have your mind made up and firmly set before you disucss this with family, etc.

WLS is a huge decision.  Most people don't make it lightly.  Most of us do it to save our lives.  My mind was made when I read that 90% of type 2 diabetics who have the surgery never have another symptom.  You will be changing your digestive system for good.  I think that's hard to comprehend; it hit me in stages.  But in the end, I chose gastric bypass for just that reason: after 45 years of trying to do it one way, I was absolutely certain that that way didn't work!  I wanted the rest of my life to be different and so I deliberately made a drastic and permanant change.

When you first have surgery, your tastes change.  The cravings disappear.  It's some kind of miracle and I can't explain it.  I didn't believe people when they told me I wouldn't be craving chocolate or pizza or any of that stuff I craved Every Hour of Every Day!  But I had no cravings...and that's the time you learn to change your eating habits.  As time goes on, the cravings may very well come back and you may be able to eat certain foods again without getting sick, so it is important to use that window of opportunity - that first year - to make the changes in your life that will carry you to permanent success.

I have no regrets at all.  WLS changed and saved my life.  You just take it day by day, learn, adjust, and enjoy the ride.  Good luck to you.

Lisa

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
browngirl76
on 11/20/08 12:23 am - Ridley Park, PA
Thanks so much for your message!  I think most of my doubts are really just worries about whether it will actually work, whether I will have any complications, and how I will adjust to it after.  It is just really hard to comprehend.  The determining factor for me more than weight loss is the idea of not being diabetic anymore...what freedom!!! (No more shots...whooppee!!!!!!!)

Thanks again for your input.  I have a lot to think about.  I think it may be a great idea to speak to my family after I have made a definite decision.
MikeB
on 11/20/08 12:40 am - Pottstown, PA
Congrats on the date.  You need to do this for you.  WHy did you go this far in the first place?  I think what some people think that this surgery is a quick fix.. It's just a tool that will work if used properly.. For the emotional part.. I also have this problem as most people with serious weight issues.. I spent a year in therapy before I had my surgery.. i still stuggle with the issue of emotional eating but I take it on a daily basis.   Your whole life is going to change. you will definetly find out who your friends and true supporters are..

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike

Surgery date 7/6/04  Start weight 534 bottom out 224  current 283  holding here for the last year.
deeg
on 11/20/08 5:40 am - Quakertown, PA
CONGRATS!  I remember that day very well...I just had my surgery 11/3/08 and I can honestly say that it was the best thing that I could have done for myself....EVER!  I too am diabetic and I have not had to use insulin since the surgery, and what a blessing that is.  It is definitely a life changing decision which you must be completely, 100% committed to.  As far as the emotional eating goes, make sure you use ALL of your supports, including attending support meetings, family and friends, if you struggle at any time with this.  You will be fine.  I consider this as my new birthday.  Good Luck!
Dee

HopefulFuture
on 11/20/08 12:39 pm - Boston, MA
I see you have already received some very helpful messages from the others and so I just wanted to congratulate you on this very exciting time!  I also noticed that your surgeon is going to be Dr. Pupkova and I can not say enough wonderful things about her.  If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask. 

Lisa :)

browngirl76
on 11/20/08 9:22 pm - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support.  I really appreciate all your advice.  I am feeling pretty hopeful this morning and I am definitely leaning toward having the surgery. 

Thanks again everyone!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views