Funny story about Splenda

HopefulFuture
on 11/19/08 5:05 am - Boston, MA
Hi everyone!

I'm not quite sure I should be admitting to this because it is somewhat embarrassing and those of you *****ad this may think "how could she not have known that?!" but in an attempt to bring a smile to someone's face, here goes:

So I'm not much of a cook.  My boyfriend Adam is an excellent cook and is usually the one cooking for me so I wanted to cook something for him and wanted to make it WLS friendly.  So I got a chicken recipe and an apple crisp recipe both from one of the Barix newsletters.  Well, the chicken recipe called for 2 Tbsp Splenda and the apple crisp recipe called for 3/4 cup Splenda.  The only kind of Splenda I was able to buy was the packets and I had never used Splenda prior to my surgery so I was unaware that Splenda is sweeter than sugar (in fact, on the box of packets it says "made from sugar, tastes like sugar" and encourages you to use it when cooking).  Regardless, the recipe said: "2 Tbsp Splenda" -- not "2 Tbsp Sugar", not "2 Tbsp "Splenda granulated".  So I went ahead and measured 1 Tbsp and found that to be equal to 10 packets of Splenda.  So I figure ok, 2 Tbsp must be 20 packets of Splenda.  I put 20 packets of Splenda in the chicken recipe.  Using that logic, I broke out my calculator and figured out that 3/4 cup of Splenda was going to be 120 packets of Splenda.  So yes, I spent quite a while opening up 120 packets of Splenda but it did not occur to me that this was wrong or might be too sweet.  I just thought "gee, this would be easier if I had the kind of Splenda that poured instead of the kind that comes in packets".  

Fast forward to dinner:  "Adam, how do you like it?"  "It's really good -- a little bit sweet, but it's very good".  I told Adam (who also never used Splenda prior to meeting me) what I did and Adam told me that Splenda is actually sweeter than sugar so I probably used too much.  I told him I didn't know it was sweeter than sugar, but the recipe actually said to use Splenda -- it wasn't a recipe made with sugar that I was trying to convert.  So after dinner, Adam looks online and finds out that 2 Tbsp of Splenda is equal to 3 Splenda packets and 3/4 cup of Splenda is equal to something like 18 Splenda packets.  So yeah, 20 packets for the chicken and 120 packets for the apple crisp was a bit too much.  

I'm lucky I didn't kill us both ;)

Lisa :)

bubble273
on 11/19/08 7:20 am - Levittown, PA
LMAO!!!!  Great post.  And thanks for the info on the equivalency of the Splenda.  I had no idea either how many packets were to a tablespoon.  I would have probably done the same exact thing you did, so don't feel too embarassed :)

Hope things are going well for you!!!

Karen

HopefulFuture
on 11/20/08 5:10 am - Boston, MA
So glad I could make you laugh, Karen!  You're welcome for the info on the Splenda packets ;)  And thank you for letting me know you probably would have done the same thing ;)  I appreciate it!  I miss you and I hope things are going well for you too!  

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/08 7:37 am
  I'm happy to hear I am not the only one around here that is clueless in the kitchen.  Maybe we should host a WLS friendly cooking show
HopefulFuture
on 11/20/08 5:11 am - Boston, MA
No, you are definitely not alone, Heather...I have always been completely clueless in the kitchen.  A WLS friendly cooking show sounds like a great idea -- it would probably be hilarious if WE were the hosts though ;)

Pam Hart
on 11/19/08 8:26 am - Easton, PA
Lisa,

Yes, you made me laugh.  However...your logic could not be faulted the way you thought through the process! 

And at least you didn't use the splenda for baking...which when you read the package, you realize is a 1/2 and 1/2 blend - 1/2 splenda and 1/2 regular sugar....so for "regular" people it cuts the calories and what not...but for us...causes dumping.

Good for you for making dinner anyways!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
HopefulFuture
on 11/20/08 5:14 am - Boston, MA
I'm glad I made you laugh, Pam!  And thanks for thinking my logic seemed reasonable and for your encouragement for the fact that I made dinner...your posts in the past have made me think you are probably a very good cook.  You'd probably never want me cooking for you, but maybe one day ;)

MikeB
on 11/19/08 8:45 am - Pottstown, PA
Very funny. I have to say that my wife might do the same thing. she doesn't cook I do all of the cooking.

Mike
HopefulFuture
on 11/20/08 5:14 am - Boston, MA
Hahahahaha, I'd love to meet your wife, Mike.  We'd probably get along great!

Nicole0216
on 11/19/08 10:48 am - Lancaster, PA
<---- Cant laugh I have done the same thing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views