Having some trouble in the pureed food stage

CHRISPOTTER
on 11/19/08 1:31 am
I'm having trouble with the pureed foods.  I can handle any kind of liquid, but when it comes to the pureed stuff I'm finding that it gets stuck after about 3 bites.  Then I hiccup and gag and sometimes spit up, and after that it seems to go down ok.  The first pureed food I tried was some ground turkey in fat-free gravy and it went down fine the first time.  Last night I tried it again and it got stuck.  I've had no problem with oatmeal, but I've even had soup back up on me the last couple of days (there was some rice in the soup). 

Any ideas? 
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/08 1:38 am
You may be taking too big of a bite and/or not waiting long enough between bites.  If 3 bites is making you sick, stop at 2 bites.  You may also just need more time on full liquids.  I would call the NUTs at Barix and talk to them. 
CHRISPOTTER
on 11/19/08 1:40 am
I do have a call in to them.  As far as I know none of the NUT's at Barix have had the surgery so I figured I would get some ideas from people who have been there.
CHRISPOTTER
on 11/19/08 1:41 am
Sorry - hit the send button prematurely.  How long should I wait between bites?
joldaker
on 11/19/08 1:45 am - West Bradford, PA

I waited about a minute between bites.

I also dont  have much faith in the NUTs at Barix but full faith in Dr. P

Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
CHRISPOTTER
on 11/19/08 1:47 am
OK, thanks. 
joldaker
on 11/19/08 1:44 am - West Bradford, PA
Make sure you are not making your puree food to thick. Maybe make your ground turkey with mashed potatoes but make the potatoes runny so it is almost like you are drinking it.

I did alot of drinkable soups and mashed potatoes with ground meats in it.

Stick with it and this stage will be over sooner than you think.

You may also want to call Dr. P, because if there is something more serious going on she will want to know about it.

Jen

p.s. Rice is a hugh no no, just pick it out if you can
CHRISPOTTER
on 11/19/08 1:47 am
I'm just worried that if I can't get the pureed foods down, the soft foods won't go down either.
joldaker
on 11/19/08 1:55 am - West Bradford, PA

That is a very real concern, which is why you should keep Dr. P posted even if you do get the answers you need here.

What also helped me at that stage is to get up and walk around between bites. I dont know if it helped the food move down but it kept my mind off the gaging feeling and kept me moving, which is of hugh importance for you right now.

dit657
on 11/19/08 2:25 am - Boothwyn, PA
When I first started on pureed and soft foods and then regular food I had to wait two full minutes between bites or it would get stuck, no matter what. Pureed foods were my worst stage because most of it gagged me anyway. Blech. But it will get better!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views