Upcoming surgery...scared to death

Jena B.
on 11/17/08 1:14 am - Baden, PA

Hello everyone! I'm on month 5 of my pre-op diet and my surgeon says my surgery will probably be in February/March and I'm very nervous. Well...It's an off and on thing. Usually the only time I get nervous is when people start asking me a ton of questions and comments about it like, "You'll look too skinny" or "What about complications" and the all-so-famous "You're not that big"...
I'm a Nanny and the baby's mother is worried I wont be back to work early enough. My surgeon said 2-3 weeks and I should be fine, but she has really scared me into thinking i'm going to have some HUGE complication and wind up in the hospital.
The way I look at it, I'm younger so my body will take this surgery better than someone who might have it 20 years from now. Oh i dont know....

How long did it take before you went back to work?

Melanie B.
on 11/17/08 2:03 am - Doylestown, PA
First of all welcome and good luck wiht your upcoming surgery.

It really does depend on each individual and i wouldn't totally rely on age to be your answer.

for me i took 2 1/2 weeks before I felt ready to go back to work. i work a desk job, but i was just so exhausted and weak I needed to rest a lot in those forst few weeks.

I don't know what I would have been able to manage if i had to care for children at that point. (i have 3 of my own, but had help)

so my advice would be 2 weeks minimum but it could be longer depending on how well you do.

dit657
on 11/17/08 2:40 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. As for the people with negative remarks - or any remarks for that matter - just tell them you've researched the surgery, you're going through all of your pre-op procedures, you're preparing your mind and your body for the surgery, and risks of complication is less than 1%. Be confident when you tell them - you were confident when you made this decision (and it is a big one) - but if this is something you really want than nothing anyone can say to you should make you that upset. And everyone is different about their weight and how much is 'too much' - and if you feel yours is too much and out of control then you're making the right decision.

Of course you're going to be nervous - we all were - but when the big day finally comes you'll be ready for it.

I had lap RNY and went back to work after one week, but I work a desk job so it wasn't like I was chasing children or anything. On the other hand I was 50 when I had my surgery, so I was no youngster either. I had no complications - I followed doctor's orders - and came through with flying colors.

Check with your surgeon on when you will be able to return to work - also ask about lifting (if you nanny small ones you would have to pick up).

You're going to be just fine, tho - and you'll feel so much better for having the surgery.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
deeg
on 11/17/08 1:26 pm - Quakertown, PA
I just had my 2 wk follow up with my surgeon, and I have to wait another 4 wks before I can lift, and my job requires a lot of lifting.  I was planning on going back to work after 4 wks total-but I need to wait an additional 2 wks.  Do you do alot of lifting with the children?  After 2 wks post-op, I feel great, so just listen to your doctor and the two of you could decide when would be the right time to return to work.  Just remember, this is the beginning of a new life for you, and you don't want to do anything before your body is ready to do it.  Take it easy and heal after the surgery, and you will be back to work before you know it.

Dee

MikeB
on 11/18/08 12:51 am - Pottstown, PA
Hang in there You'll be fine. I was out of work fo 4 months.
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/08 10:31 pm

Tell the people with the comments to kiss off...this is your decission NOT theirs.

What surgery are you having?  Lap band?  RNY?  Other?  (i might have missed this somewhere)  Will it be open or laporscopic?  I was Lap RNY and went back after 2 weeks, but could have gone back a lot sooner.  I know people who went back after 4 days and some that took 6 weeks.  It is all an individual thing.  Do you have to lift babies or are the kids older? 

The woman you work for is being selfish.  She is only worried about herself and not you.  do what you have to do...there are always other nanny jobs if need be...but you can't turn back time when it comes to your health.  Do you trust your surgeon?  What is his complication rate?  HAve you talked to others who have used him?  Have you checked the surgeon comment board on OH where people write about their experiences with surgeons?  Have you googled your surgeon to see what information you can find?  If you havent done these things, do them....you need to go in to this knowing all you can about the person that is going to do surgery on you.  I am not saying this to scare you, but rather to point out that it is important to do your research (which you may have already done...I don't know).  Knowing all you can know, will help put your mind at ease.  Also, see if your surgeon/hospital has a pre op support group...or any WLS support group...where you can go to listen to others...and to talk to others...about all of this. If there isnt a support group through your surgeon, find another one in your area (I don't know where your town is, but you can put up a post asking about support groups in your area) Its a big, life changing event and you owe it to yourself to be as prepared as possible.

Oh...and it is perfectly normal to be nervous!!  We would worry about you if you weren't at least a little bit nervous.  Good luck with you journey!! 

Heather

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views