X-post..trying to gather some info to help Dhs cousin

FlourPower
on 11/12/08 4:03 am - PA
I bet this has been asked over and over and unfortunately I didn't pay attention so....It's going to be asked again..LOL!!

My DHs cousin had his gastric bypass about two years ago.  He's lost 170 pounds.  He's worried now because he's gaining weight and he's having to buy bigger sizes of clothing.

I sat with him and we chatted and he told me that he's always hungry.  I asked him if this was a "I want to eat hunger" or if it's "my stomach is growling I'm hungry"  he said that sometimes he's really hungry and then sometimes he just wants to eat. 

He also told me that for several months he's been eating and drinking at the same time.  Now, he's worried that he's stretched his stoma. 

I promised him that I would ask you guys the following questions:

1.  If he eats quickly will this stretch his stoma?

2.  If he lays down after he eats will this stretch his stoma?

I didn't know the answers to these questions.  I know that eating and drinking at the same time is not allowed.

So, any help that you can give me would be appreciated.  I've told him he needs to talk to his Dr. about this...I think he's too embarrassed. 

Thanks

Chrissy

[

shoutjoy
on 11/12/08 6:21 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,  I don't have a medical answer but I do know that eating quickly will allow you to eat more.  It sounds like he needs some counseling regarding the mind hunger.  We all bring excess baggage into our journey that are not necessarily cured by wls.  Sometimes we need extra support.  He may want to modify his exercise routine and look at his nutritional choices.  Is he attending support groups?  That is very important as well. 

There is something that is taught when treating folks with eating disorders and It can be adapted very easily for wls patients.  This is called "mindful eating".  It is a time set aside to eat with no distractions.  Each bite is considered as to texture, taste, smell, etc.  Then at the end of this quiet meal, journaling the experience can be a really great experience.  Sometimes we don't allow ourselves to experience eating but just satisfy our hunger.

Another thing I might suggest is that he not only slow down, chew his food thoroughly but use small plates and utensils.  We can trick our minds into thinking we are eating a lot because our plate is full. 

I hope this has helped.

Paula
Pam Hart
on 11/12/08 6:27 pm - Easton, PA
Chrissy,

I don't know the answers per say.

I have heard that the quicker and more you eat the more you can stretch your stoma.  However....I'm not sure the pressure that food exerts is enough to cause these problems.  I have no medical basis to figure this out.

Many people have been here at about the same time line as him saying the same things about gaining weight and what not.  It is a natural coarse for you to be able to eat more as time progresses.  The trick is to realize when you are actually hungry and more importantly - choose the right foods.

As far as the eating and drinking thing goes...he's basically turning his food into a slurry which allows the food to slide right through the pouch leading to hunger earlier and also less absorption of nutrients, with the exception of any simple carbs and or sugars....because once in a slurry like consistency, the body is more readily able to pick it up, even in the decreased amount of intestines we have.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
FlourPower
on 11/12/08 9:01 pm - PA
Thank you both for answering these questions for me.  I did email the answers that I got yesterday from the other boards and I'll also send these to him.

I wish he would come to the support meetings.  He's never been to one and unfortunately has many excuses for not attending.  I have only been to two of the meetings but I do plan on attending them every month now because I did truly enjoy the one I was just attended.

Last night we talked on the phone and he did confide in me that he's been eating a lot of easily digested junk food like.....cheeses crackers, Cheetos, buttered pop corn, and "kid type" cereals...you know the sugar coated stuff.  I told him that he probably needs to go back to the basics and start over again.  Nipping this now instead of letting it get worse and things will get harder. 

I also invited him to go to the gym with me.  I don't know if he would go or not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to invite him. 

Thanks again.  I really do appreciate it and I know that he'll appreciate it too.

Chrissy

[

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views