Sublingual B-12

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/11/08 6:17 pm

There was a question at the Pre-op Barix Meeting about B-12.  Some brands take a while to dissolve, others don't.

I found two brands that dissolve very well and are not gritty.  They are:  Nature's Bounty Sublingual Dots (found in the supermarkets), and GNC Brand in the blue box.

One brand inparticular that I found to really be worthless was Spring Valley Dots.  What a waste of money they were.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 11/11/08 7:03 pm - Easton, PA
I second that!!  I had been using the generic wallgreens version - which tastes and dissolved just like the ones from GNC.    The grocery stores I went to in jersey never carried sublingual b12.

However...when we went food shopping here in pa the other week I found the nature's bounty...and oh my goodness...they dissolve in seconds!  It was much different than the other brands I have tried.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
tammypa
on 11/11/08 9:23 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Nan,
I found the Rexall brand at Walmart. They are cherry flavored and
dissolve in an instant also.
Tammy
dit657
on 11/11/08 9:31 pm - Boothwyn, PA
OK, am I doing something wrong? I take a sublingual B-12 but I take it as a regular tablet - like a pill. I don't let it dissolve on my tongue or anything - not sure it would? Just had my bloodwork done and my B-12 was actually high - normal range is 200-1100 (according to the paperwork) - mine was at 1669. My PCP said it won't hurt me, but to cut back to 5 days/week instead of 7.

Any thoughts? I'm faxing my bloodwork to Barix today for my 9 month follow-up on 11/26.

Thanks - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/11/08 10:34 pm
Dr. Marymor told me that regular B-12 which is swallowed is not absorbed by the body due to the RNY.  He said only to take Sublingual and to let it be absorbed under the tongue.  If you have high numbers still ask your surgeon, not your PCP.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 11/12/08 5:42 am - Easton, PA
All sublingual medications are supposed to melt in the mouth, like under the tongue.

Considering your levels are high - I would assume you are absorbing enough the way you are taking it.

Maybe tell the doctor what you have been doing - and see what they say about it?

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
kimmiep621
on 11/11/08 9:46 pm
i agree, i absolutly love the natures bounty b-12, tastes yummy and disolves fast.   i buy my natures bounty vits  when bogo at walgreens then use 2 coupons to get them cheaper

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

Donna_in_PA
on 11/12/08 1:57 am - Lansdale, PA
My favorite vitamin is the cherry sublingual B12.  They're yummy  :-)

Donna

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 1:59 am
I never liked the dots under my tounge so I switched to Nature's bounty sublingual liquid B complex and I love it.  My B12 levels have been perfect for two years now (brought up after a low reading 3 months post op).

HG
GD_007
on 11/12/08 4:55 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Do you recall what your reading was at your 3 month mark?
-GD
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views