Don't know what to eat

courtzi
on 11/11/08 4:05 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA
I am 2 weeks post op tom. I am starting to try food.  BUt I am having a hard time figuring out how to cook for me.  My family is easy, but for me I don't know why I am finding it so hard.  Can anyone help me with suggestions or grocery ideas. 

thanks
Liz R.
on 11/11/08 4:20 am - Easton, PA
Hello! Are you on solid foods or still some sort of a restricted diet (soft, pureed etc) We can certainly help!

If you are onto soft foods there are all sorts of ground meats - maybe a bit of hamburger with taco seasoning, cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream, chili, turkey burger, most types of fish.

If you are onto "normal" foods well I can give you a whole list for that too - let me know where you are at and we will come up with some ideas! Also if there is anything that you really don't like.

Liz
courtzi
on 11/11/08 4:23 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA
I am on soft foods
tanya72100
on 11/11/08 4:23 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
All your liquids

sf pudding
sf jello
cottage cheese
egg beaters
low fat cream based soup
sf ice pops
mashed taters

not much really. just keep the liquids going.

courtzi
on 11/11/08 4:27 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA
I have been trying other stuff with no problem.  I was eating what ritz cracker with tuna fish on and some lunch meat.  Had chicken last night but I think it was a little dry.  Fish was great went down fine.  But I was telling Tanya the other night I don't get full and then when I stop eating it's like I over did it and then I'm hurting
Liz R.
on 11/11/08 4:32 am - Easton, PA
you should be eating very little right now - I think at that stage I was maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food. Also, make sure that you food is very moist. Your pouch is still healing so dry things can aggrevate it. Make sure too that you are eating slowly and chewing well. You might want to measure out your food and just eat the minimum about - wait 15 minutes and see how you feel. You might be suprised!
LadyJwb
on 11/11/08 4:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
On November 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, courtzi wrote:
I have been trying other stuff with no problem.  I was eating what ritz cracker with tuna fish on and some lunch meat.  Had chicken last night but I think it was a little dry.  Fish was great went down fine.  But I was telling Tanya the other night I don't get full and then when I stop eating it's like I over did it and then I'm hurting
Courtzi, measure , measure , measure that way you don't have to make the mistake of hurting...( I learned the hard way) I try to eat what the house eats so when I was on soft foods they had casseroles, mock mashed potatoes (cauliflower)  ground turkey with the ricotta cheese and sauce..luv . Tuna ,I ate alot of frozen fish because it steamed really quick, blend shrimp with low fat ranch or mayo. Low fat cheese blended with pimentos and a little greek yogurt. Good Luck ! It gets better

Liz R.
on 11/11/08 4:29 am - Easton, PA
greek yogurt - 17-20 grams of protein in 6-8 ounces! Great with a bit of sugar free jam, splenda or crystal light powder
ricotta cheese with sugar free spaghetti sauce and low fat mozzarella microwaved for a few seconds - tastes like the inside of lasagna!
ricotta with preserves, cinnamon and splenda, davinci sugar free syrups
south beach egg custard made with splenda
cottage cheese
scrambled eggs
mashed potatoes made with ricotta cheese in them (ups the protein)
jello
pudding
soups
ground meats (turkey, chicken, beef, pork) with some kind of low fat gravy
most fish (salmon, tilapia, flounder) just chew well!
quinoa - a grain with a good amount of protein
quiche (eggs with whatever makes you happy mixed in cheese, mushrooms etc)

Be creative! There are lots of soft foods out there. Hope that this helps!

Liz
courtzi
on 11/11/08 4:31 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA
thanks liz. 
Pam Hart
on 11/11/08 7:29 am - Easton, PA
You've gotten a lot of fabulous answers. 

For soft foods think of anything that can be cut with a fork.  Ground meat is ok...moisten w/ a little ketchup or lf mayo or something.

Eat very small amounts.  You will not feel full - all the nerves in your stomach have been cut and therefore cannot send signals like they used to.  It will take time for that to grow back.  You need to measure and eat slowly.  If you are supposed to be having 1/2 cup servings - start with 1/4 cup and wait awhile and see how you feel.  It's a hard game to play this early out.

Also...things like a cheesestick I did well with on soft foods.

My soft foods wasn't until 5 weeks out....so take your time.  You have the whole rest of your life to eat....and letting your pouch heal is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views