Liz R.
on 11/10/08 3:29 am - Easton, PA

Whole Grain Bread Stuffing

Ingredients

1 loaf whole grain bread , cubed
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
1/2 cup fresh chopped celery
1 tbsp chopped parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1-1/2 cup lowfat milk (or stock)
1 egg , lightly beaten
2 medium apples , cored and chopped

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2 Put bread cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
3 Pu****er in medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Pour over bread cubes.
4 Stir in milk and egg. Gently stir in apples.
5 Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake for 1 hour.

Quinoa Stuffing

Ingredients

• 2  cups  vegetable stock
  • 1/2  teaspoon  kosher salt, divided
  • 1  cup  uncooked quinoa
  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 2  cups  thinly sliced onion
  • 1/2  cup  chopped celery
  • 1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2  teaspoon  thyme
  • 4  garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4  cup  dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4  cup  chopped walnuts, toasted

Preparation

Bring broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, celery, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and thyme; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in cooked quinoa, cranberries, and walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees in a greased baking dish about 10 minutes until heated through.

Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients

• 2 cups 100% cranberry juice
  • 2 packets unflavored gelatin
  • Splenda to taste
  • Granted orange zest - optional

Preparation

Bring 1 cup of cranberry juice to a boil. Meanwhile in a heatproof bowl add 1 cup cold cranberry juice – sprinkle gelatin over to dissolve. When the juice boils pour over gelatin mixture, Mix thoroughly and put into a container and refrigerate 2 hours or until set. Enjoy!

Candied Yams

Melt a little smart balance, tiny bit of juice from large can of cut yams and some DiabetiSweet Brown Sugar  to the pan until it melts down together and starts to make a "brown sticky candyish mess".   Throw away the rest of the juice off the yams and add them to the pan, turning gently to warm them and coat them in the "candy" glaze.   Takes 10 mins. tops.  Done.  

No glycemic index sugarwise, yams are great in fiber, Vit C., Smart Balance and juice from yams is negligable.   No one will know this is "legal".  

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Garlic

1 head of garlic-big

3 sweet potatoes

1 tbsp of butter- unsalted

1 tbsp + 1 tsp of olive oil

Salt and pepper

Cut the top of the garlic off.  Carefully place that 1 tsp of oil on the top of it  (you might need 1 more tsp depending on how big it is).  Lightly salt and pepper it and then wrap it up in foil.

Dice up sweet potatoes into 1x1 cubes (if you can).  Place onto a baking sheet (I wrap mine in foil) toss with butter and oil- toss in a ½ tbsp at a time in case you don’t need it all (which has happen to me- make sure every piece has a bit of shine to it).  Toss with salt and pepper.  Make sure everything is well coated and then place both the garlic and the potatoes into the oven at 425 degrees.  Check the garlic after 15 to 20 mins but keep roasted the potatoes for about 40 mins total.  But make sure you watch them.  One time it only took 35 mins another time it took 50 mins depending how dense the potatoes are that day.  Once the garlic is done remove the pieces from it by using a small spoon or fork and place into a air tight container.  Once the potatoes are done mash up 2 piece of the garlic and toss them with the potatoes while they are still piping hot.  Serve.

This will feed about 5 people as a side dish.

Fried Sweet Potatoes 

Ok, before you think this sounds bad for ya… it isn’t…

You will need 1 (big) sweet potato per every 2 people eating this… so when I make it I use 2 since there is 3 of us… and then there is left overs for Jeremy to take to work…

2 sweet potatoes

1 tbsp of butter unsalted

1 tbsp of olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the sweet potatoes in half and boil them in salted water until they are fork tender.  Take them out let them cool for 5 mins and then peel the skin off (it comes right off with ease).  Slice them into rounds and place them into a skillet with half of the butter and oil.  Cook them until they start to get crusty on both sides.  Salt and pepper them while they are cooking.  Once done place on a plate and finish cooking the rest of the potato rounds.

Green Bean Casserole – Shannon Style!

1 package of mixed mushrooms- diced into chunks

2 large cans of green beans

1 can of fat free mushroom soup

1 can full of skim milk (using the soup can)

2 shallots- fine diced

2 garlic cloves- fine diced

2 tsp of flour- whatever kind you want to use

1 jar of fat free beef gravy

1 tbsp of butter unsalted

1 tbsp of woshie-shire sauce

Salt and pepper to taste

Topping:

Low fat cheese- 2 cups

½ cup of bread crumbs

2 tsp of onion powder 

In a sauce pan sauté the mushrooms in the butter.  Once they start to shrink in size add the shallots and garlic.  Add a little salt and pepper.  Cook everything until they are soft.  Shake in the flour and still until it has soaked up the butter.  Now add the mushroom soup and the milk stir until everything is mixed.  Now add the beef gravy and woshie-shire sauce.  Taste- to see if you need to add salt or pepper.  Now drain and rinse the green beans (to get extra salt off them) and then add to the pot.  Once everything is mixed you can serve it this way… or place into a 9x13 baking dish and bake it till the top begins to form a slight crust. 

Now if you want a topping aka a crunchy topping- mix together 2 cups of a low fat cheese with ½ cup of bread crumbs and the onion powder.  Top the mixture in the baking dish and broil until the cheese is melted and formed a crust.

Nicole0216
on 11/10/08 3:40 am - Lancaster, PA
OMG I LOVE YOU!!!!  I hate I missed this.

I have to work on tgiving and the day after so I wont be making much. But I will make the C sauce
I have missed it the last two T givings.
Liz R.
on 11/10/08 3:56 am - Easton, PA
Well you'll just have to have a scaled down thanksgiving with your favorites a day late! Or find somone to mooch the leftovers off of! lol

Hopefully you can make the next one - at the moment I am looking at 12/13 but will confirm in the next few days.

The cran sauce was good! I found I liked it better with the ocean spray cran juice - tasted more "authentic"

Liz
Nubianlilly
on 11/10/08 5:11 am - PA
YEAH!!!! I'm so excited, there are at least 4 recipes from this weekend that I will be making. 

Pam Hart
on 11/10/08 7:55 am - Easton, PA
I'll definately be making some of them!

As an aside...my incredibly picky husband picked up the bag of quinona stuffing I brought home out of the fridge tonight and said "why did you bring home cat food in a small baggie?"  Funny thing was - he wasn't kidding.  He knows you have cats, Liz, and wanted to know why I got food for them from you.

*sigh*

When I told him "that's part of my dinner tonight" he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said "to bad there's not enough for both of us, huh?"

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 11/10/08 8:27 am - Easton, PA
Oh boy.... I guess that about sums it up! Boys will be boys.... at least we know that it tastes a whole lot better then I am guessing cat food does! Now if we could just make them hate the junk...

Liz
Laureen S.
on 11/10/08 10:19 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Liz,

This is great, thanks, hoping that one of these days I'll be able to attend one of your amazing support groups!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views