Coupons for free consult from Barix?

betty1958
on 11/10/08 4:30 am
I had my surgery at the Barix Clinic in Langhorne last December. Last week I received an envelope in the mail from Barix which had about 4 or 5 coupons for a free WLS consultation. I guess I'm supposed to give them out or slip them into the Christmas cards?!? Now,even though I certainly needed my WLS, I would have been mortified if anyone had SUGGESTED it to me. How does that conversation go: "Hey, you look like you could use weight loss surgery?" I was even a little taken aback when my doctor immediately agreed to give me a referral to Barix without even trying to talk me out of the surgery. Now, I was 5'4" and 320 so I was not borderline by any means. I needed this surgery and it saved my life. I just would not want to humiliate anyone by suggesting to them that they need WLS! Even if they do!

The closest I come to talking WLS to anyone is just letting people around me know that I have had the surgery. Then if they tell a friend, and they tell a friend, and so on, any interested people will find their way to me and I will be happy to help them out. I just would never suggest it to them first.
dit657
on 11/10/08 5:12 am - Boothwyn, PA
I got the coupons and thought the same thing! And the initial consultation fee is applied to your surgery charges, so its really 'free' anyway if you go ahead with the surgery. I would never, ever approach someone and suggest a visit to Barix or anything else related to WLS - I am very open about my own surgery - if people ask how I've lost weight I'm more than happy to tell them, but I would never feel comfortable handing out those coupons - and I would have been insulted if someone had done it to me, even tho I knew I was extremely obese. Mine also went into the trash.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 11/10/08 5:47 am - Easton, PA
I got them last year...and didn't give a single one of them out.  WLS has to be up to the person - not to be mentioned by anyone else.

Now...if somebody you knows broaches the conversation...and the cards are still good...I could understand giving it to them at that point.

I think it's just corporate america and the madness that ensues.  I love barix.  But I'm not handing out random cards to anyone!  that's just rude.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 6:13 am, edited 11/10/08 6:14 am
I just taped mine to the Drive thru menu at Mc Donalds.....
Pam Hart
on 11/10/08 7:48 am - Easton, PA

Very good beth, very good.
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 11/10/08 11:39 am - Drexel Hill, PA
LOL
LadyJwb
on 11/11/08 1:48 am - Philadelphia, PA
On November 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM Pacific Time, Beth C. wrote:
I just taped mine to the Drive thru menu at Mc Donalds.....

cleos_mom
on 11/10/08 7:55 am - phila., PA
I filed mine in the circular, I think that is very TACKY  and rude to hand out to someone unless they ask you for it
Shannon O.
on 11/10/08 12:59 pm - Reading, PA
my consult was completely free both times I went... it wasn't added to anything... and what I thought was really funny was someone called wanting my oppinion on things since I'm a year out... like what they could improve and stuff... told them that this was tacky and they were going in the tra**** is a personal choice... and while someone could use it... I know if someone would of handed me this I would of decked them and then sat my 341 pound butt on them for a good long while... darn... the one time it was good to be fat lol... but I pitched mine... and told barix that too lol...

ladychief231
on 11/10/08 9:12 pm - Douglassville, PA
That was a good one Beth thanks for the laugh! smiling.

I trashed mine too.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA